Grrr....please help me with a stripped Allen head... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Grrr....please help me with a stripped Allen head...

Boy...I really hate when I do um-day things like this.

I wanted to check the fluid level on my final drive after taking the bike out for the spring.

I popped the allen wrench in there, got it seated well and gave it a pull....no joy. I put an extender on the wrench and gave it a really good pull...good enough that I stripped the threads on the bolt and now I can't get it off

Can anyone advise me how to get this thing off now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Re: Grrr....please help me with a stripped Allen head...

Replace the final drive?

Seriously, I feel for you on this one. I wonder if an easy out would work here?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Thumbs up Re: Grrr....please help me with a stripped Allen head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
Boy...I really hate when I do um-day things like this.

I wanted to check the fluid level on my final drive after taking the bike out for the spring.

I popped the allen wrench in there, got it seated well and gave it a pull....no joy. I put an extender on the wrench and gave it a really good pull...good enough that I stripped the threads on the bolt and now I can't get it off

Can anyone advise me how to get this thing off now
Use a medium sized punch and a big 5 lb hammer. It'll bump it loose.

After doing it that way once, I now use the proper tool.

Good luck and get a new FD cap before you destroy the old one or you'll not be able to RIDE until you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:10 pm

There's enough material to take a chisel and work it off. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
For those that know me, you can see me mouth those words when I'm upside down and backwards working on something. Of course, the appropriate hand gesture is a must.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Well you could always use a bolt extractor too. The grip the more you turn them and they make large enough sizes that you should be able to find one that will fit the hole for the allen wrench.

But I also have to say unless you were turning it the wrong way and tightening it that it must be really tourqued on there. If it is too tight, you may want to seek professional help to get it removed rather than risk damaging it further.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Well you could always use a bolt extractor too. The grip the more you turn them and they make large enough sizes that you should be able to find one that will fit the hole for the allen wrench.

But I also have to say unless you were turning it the wrong way and tightening it that it must be really tourqued on there. If it is too tight, you may want to seek professional help to get it removed rather than risk damaging it further.
My wife agrees about seeking professional help

I looked online at those extrator tools, not sure if that would work as this bolt sits nearly flush with the housing. It is torqued in there fairly well. Word of advise to others as dumb as I. Be careful getting that wrnech properly seated before giving it a good tug
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Had the same exact problem myself. I used a small set of vice grips and twisted the sucker off. There is enough of the plug to get a pretty good grip on it.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:33 pm

First off get a new part organised. It could be that you have just 'deformed' the top part of the hex hole. Put the allen key or socket in and tap it with a big hammer. If that does not work move to a torx fitting that is a tight fit and drive that in to the mangled hole. Use a big hammer but tap it gently.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:14 pm

It as you say the thread stripped the only way is to drill it out and replace the thread in the block with a helicoil which will be a lot stronger.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf253
It as you say the thread stripped the only way is to drill it out and replace the thread in the block with a helicoil which will be a lot stronger.

Thank you. I am afraid I may have written the wrong thing in my original post. I stripped the Allen socket on the bolt, not the bolt threads.

It looks like I have a few good suggestions here. Thank you all
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:45 pm

No worries Briantime.
Something to remember in the future it sometimes helps to actually try to tighten a screw first to 'crack' the bind on the thread before undoing them seeing as the socketcap is already stuffed there is a couple of other options Butchering it with a chisel and hammer can work but can also simply snap the head of the threaded bolt section altogether depends on how big a bolt/thread is or if able to get a small angle grinder with a thin cutting disc, cut a slot across the top of the head then use an impact driver to undo the screw that way the load is still applied straight down the centre of the bolt not a shearing action as a chisel does

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in