Final Drive experts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Question Final Drive experts

I just got back from a long ride, after 2.5 hours I began to feel a vibration coming from the rear wheel it got progressively worse as the speed increased and considerably less vibration as I went slower. I got home and checked tires, rotor and they appear ok. On the center stand I spun the rear wheel and it's making a whining sound and vibrates. I spin the wheels and check my tire before every ride and this result is new to the bike. Can anyone tell me if this is the start of a final drive failure. It's a 2004 and it's still under warranty. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:44 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Final Drive experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
I just got back from a long ride, after 2.5 hours I began to feel a vibration coming from the rear wheel it got progressively worse as the speed increased and considerably less vibration as I went slower. I got home and checked tires, rotor and they appear ok. On the center stand I spun the rear wheel and it's making a whining sound and vibrates. I spin the wheels and check my tire before every ride and this result is new to the bike. Can anyone tell me if this is the start of a final drive failure. It's a 2004 and it's still under warranty. Thoughts?
Sound like the FD is going out to me. get it to the dealer for a warranty fix fast.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:47 pm

If you grab the tire at 6:00 and 12:00 you should get "ZERO" movement. Same with 3:00 and 9:00.

If there is any motion, bring her in.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
If you grab the tire at 6:00 and 12:00 you should get "ZERO" movement. Same with 3:00 and 9:00.

If there is any motion, bring her in.
I think there are a few different scenarios for a FD failure. I had zero movement, but heard a scrapping sound that increased in frequency with speed. Started about 100 miles before a total failure taking the rear brake assembly with it. I took mine in early and was told it's an old bike so live with the noise. I felt pretty helpless since there are no dealers/service as close as they were and it cost a whole lot more because of the ruined brakes.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, It sounds like the final drive as the scrapping noise is evident as you spin the wheel. I'll have to see if the dealer can pick it up as he's 50 miles away and I don't want to risk driving it there.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS
By saying that it's a 2004 and still under warranty, does that mean you have an extended warranty?? Just curious. Be great if so, and turns out to be the final drive and covered!

Reason I ax is: I wuz gonna suggest you check and verify the brake pad's condition and thickness on the rear calipers. It's easy to do. Altho ole Toad's final drive failed back in '03 and the sound then wuz different than when we had some embedded grahdoo coupla years ago, I for sure thought we had another final drive failure. My good buddy, and BMW mechanic of the first order, checked it out and found the grahdoo (man, this is driving spell checker nutz!!). Just another suggestion on the easy-to-do side.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Cool Re: Final Drive experts

My final drive was making noise so I did all checks. No movement 6 and 12 or 3 and 9. No leak at the seal. I could feel a bad vibration in my foot pegs and it was spinning on the center stand.

I took the drive apart and found the bearing piled up. Moral is don't think because you don't have movement that the bearing is ok. If you have silvery oil or metal on the magnet the bearing is bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in