BMW LT reverse - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 1:09 am Thread Starter

Smile BMW LT reverse

My wife and I bought an 05 LT in Mar 05 and it bothers us to find out that dealers don't seem to know much about the LT. Question; when I put the bike in reverse it goes backwards for approx. 3 seconds and quits, then I press the starter button again and it goes back for another 3 sec. etc. I think it should be continuous but no one at 2 dealerships seems to know. What does your LT do in reverse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 1:57 am

LT's and reverse "gear"

Mine just keeps going until I remove my finger from the button, although I doubt I have held it on for more than 4 or 5 seconds at a time.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #3 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 3:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCav
My wife and I bought an 05 LT in Mar 05 and it bothers us to find out that dealers don't seem to know much about the LT. Question; when I put the bike in reverse it goes backwards for approx. 3 seconds and quits, then I press the starter button again and it goes back for another 3 sec. etc. I think it should be continuous but no one at 2 dealerships seems to know. What does your LT do in reverse?
I'll get you the part number you need in the morning. My '05 did the exact same thing and was repaired by Scottsdale (AZ) BMW.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

post #4 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 5:03 am

I suggest looking thru the archvies, i do recall reading about others with this same fault and a few different outcomes as to the cause of it
post #5 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 5:29 am

Same as Daz.
post #6 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 6:54 am

As Dezrae suggested, please look in the old site. There A LOT of posts handling this issue. I had the same problem and had just about every component in the reversing system changed (under warranty, luckily) before the problem was solved. In my case it was the small sensor which reads if the driveshaft ( or something else before that) is actually turning or not.

Good luck, isn't it nice to notice you are not alone!

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #7 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
In my case it was the small sensor which reads if the driveshaft ( or something else before that) is actually turning or not.
Yup that's the same $6 part as it was on mine.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #8 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:12 am

BMW LT Reverse

I had the 3 seconds and then nothing on my 05LT. It started 3 months ago and what with holidays and other things it was only fixed in mid november.

The dealer here in the UK at first said it's a safety feature to which i replied b******s. They contacted BMW UK and after much too-ing a fro-ing with emails and a reference to the technical guys in Germany they eventually sorted it.

At first they changed a speed sensor then when that didn't work they said it was the "reverse controller" and finally a gearbox sensor was changed.

There have been other reasons for the reverse gear to play up on this board and it's predecessor but the above was eventually to resolve my problem.

I hope you get yours sorted.

Graham Jones
2005 K1200LT
post #9 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:13 am

Or, you could check your connection under the right side of the fuel tank. There is a plug there close to fuel pump plug. If it isn't plugged in firmly, you'll get that erratic reverse.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCav
It seems to me that you are pressing the button and releasing? If this is correct, you need to continue to hold the button down until the desired distance is covered and then release.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #11 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:33 am

I had the same problem with both the reverse and with the dealer. Initially they tried to pass it off as a feature of bike but eventually replaced the speed sensor and corrected the problem.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #12 of 26 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:22 pm

I havent had the problem YET, But if I may throw out a question about backing up. How much of and incline can you back up?
post #13 of 26 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 4:55 am

See the HoW (d.9).
post #14 of 26 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 9:27 am

Same Problem my solutions was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Or, you could check your connection under the right side of the fuel tank. There is a plug there close to fuel pump plug. If it isn't plugged in firmly, you'll get that erratic reverse.
My 02 LTC was doing the exact same thing, so I first tried the connection mentioned above. right side of the bike under the tank. The cable was coming out of the connector and taken a 90 degree turn so hard the plastic had dried off in place, when I went to turn it it just broke right off. So I took a piece of wire the same type in longer lenght, reattached it in the correct places and the reverse now works like a champ. Now again mine was an 02 LTC that I know I was left "outside" all of its like, until I came along and found a garage for it (mine) so yours been an 05 is hard to believe you already have contact issues on that connector but it does not hurt to look at it.

My 0.02 cents

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #15 of 26 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 10:54 am

Check the plug, it was not plugged in during assembly.

Jim in GA
post #16 of 26 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl160
Check the plug, it was not plugged in during assembly.

Jim in GA
What plug?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 26 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
I havent had the problem YET, But if I may throw out a question about backing up. How much of and incline can you back up?
Best thing is not to park the bike facing downhill. It will stay on the kickstand better too. Regardless of what anyone says I just don't try to back the bike up a hill, level ground only.
Hope this helps.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #18 of 26 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 3:49 pm

My reverse was working just fine until about 2 weeks ago, then started getting same response as decribed on the opening of this string ... haven't taken in, yet ... sounds like a cronic problem (i.e., the dealerships / BMW should have a significant amount of knowledge about), but a variety of causes?? I'm assuming my warrenty will take care of it.

BTW, Ari is that a dachsund in your photo? Does he/she ride?

Sorry, didn't fully read your profile ... we too have 3 children and 2 'babies', Gabby (Gabreill) and Tana (Montana), our mini-dachsunds. Recently bought a chest carrier so they can ride ... too cold for now, but we'll be riding 2, 3, and 4? up in the spring!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA

Last edited by walilisseu; Dec 17th, 2005 at 3:55 pm. Reason: Read Ari's profile
post #19 of 26 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 2:11 pm

I had the same problem which was fixed pronto at SMCycle in Victoria. They replaced the sender.
post #20 of 26 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

LT erratic reverse

Thanks for the quick reply. I am holding the start button down until it quits which is approx. 4 to 5 feet.
post #21 of 26 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
Not sure there is a limit. But you cannot put the bike in reverse with the brake on. You have to let the brake off to do it. I think that may limit the incline a bit:-)

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #22 of 26 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 4:45 pm

reverse

there is a speed sensor in the starter i belive that controlss the speed of the bike in reverse. i had mine replaced by the dealer under warranty. it did the same as you described 3 seconds then off. since they have replace the sensor it works fine.

PAUL HERMAN
TROPHY CLUB TX
WORK 817-491-2800
CELL 817-403-3648

post #23 of 26 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Is there a picture anywhere of this plug?

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #24 of 26 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by namrehwp
there is a speed sensor in the starter i belive that controlss the speed of the bike in reverse. i had mine replaced by the dealer under warranty. it did the same as you described 3 seconds then off. since they have replace the sensor it works fine.
Mine is in the shop right now waiting for the same part....fortunately under warranty as well. Obviously a very common problem.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 4:35 pm

my 2002 never stops going backwards in reverse, but it does slow down a lot after about three seconds. Is that normal or is it going to get worse until it stops altogether like everyone is describing?

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #26 of 26 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55
my 2002 never stops going backwards in reverse, but it does slow down a lot after about three seconds. Is that normal or is it going to get worse until it stops altogether like everyone is describing?
Mine didn't work right the day I picked it up...if that makes you feel any better.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in