Spring finally arriving and ticking noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

Spring finally arriving and ticking noise

Well Spring seems to finally be arriving here in NY. This Winter and the fact that my rear tire was worn out added up to no rides over the Winter like the past couple. I started her up a couple of times to keep the juices flowing but nothing to really count.

Well got the new tire mounted today hoping to take ride maybe tomorrow, but when she was idling in the drive I heard a ticking noise. I am wondering if that might be indicative of a valve problem?

I am approaching my 36K service and putting my plan together to do it including checking valves, but haven't ordered everything yet so figured it was a couple of weeks out.

Wanted to ride tomorrow or Monday to work, but not sure if it's a good idea with the noise I am hearing. Any thoughts, are valves a leading possibility?

I am not a mechanic, but typically will tackle normal maintenance, but not real good at diagnosing things like this.

Checked oil in case it was low causing the noise, but and it's not low.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Closest dealer is 2 hrs away.

Thanks,

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Re: Spring finally arriving and ticking noise

The bike is known for having noisy injectors. My bet is you have nothing to worry about. By the end of the previous riding season you probably tuned out all the normal sounds, and a few months later you forgot about them and notice them "for the first time".
Just ride it like someone wants to steal it from you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks Giles, your probably right. This is the longest I haven't been on her since I bought her 2 1/2 years ago.

I finally took my new tire ($150 shiped from Cycle Gear) up to the local Honda dealer yesterday to have it mounted (was $32.40 w/tax which I thought was pretty good) so now I am chomping at the bit to ride.

Just gotta paint the living room today and then I can take a spin. Looks like weather might be good enough to ride 3-4 days this week

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:13 am

Hi Randy,

It's good to hear from you. I'm planning to do a 36k also, should we see if anyone is interested in setting up a tech. session? Maybe we could find someone that has done the valve check before.

Also, I still have you oil filter wrench sitting in my garage from the last time. We need to meet up sometime for a ride.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Kevin,

I am up for a tech session if we can fit it in. I have the Paul Sayegh video's also, so been watching them lately while walking on the treadmill. I need to put in an order supplies tonight or tomorrow night so that I am ready in the next couple of weeks.

Had to fix both mirrors today as one had broken on the front mount and when I inspected the other it was cracked also. I tried the method with the fishing line and PVC cement and hopefully they will hold up for quite some time. We'll see she is back together and I am finally taking her out tomorrow for the first time since October I think.

Didn't get out today as my honey do list only allowed some quick sidetracks to work on her then back to the ceiling texturing in prep for painting the new living room before the wifes new furniture arrives. Didn't get the painting done today, so I need to scramble this week and do it so that next weekend I can work on putting a hitch on our new Highlander.

I might be game for a tech session on the weekend of the 19th or 26th. Let me know what you think. I might be able to host depending on what was being done.

Randy

BMWMOA # 131660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in