My new riding buddy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

My new riding buddy

Thought I'd introduce you all to my little riding buddy. He's 3, almost 4, and loves motorcycles. He usually gets to ride on either my, or his dad's Harley, in front of us, but only on the "little" roads. Got him a DOT helmet, gloves and a suit, put him on back and strapped him in. We did about 20 miles of back roads, and he was pissed when we got home, wanted to go a 'really long ways'. Note the "Ghostrider" helmet he picked out. Yep, he's my grandson. You may have guessed that I like him a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	675.7 KB
ID:	17323  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Re: My new riding buddy

Thats a great picture....I know you are proud.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:30 pm
KIC

Good deal. Have fun ,ride safe ,and "will" him the Beemer.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Exclamation Re: My new riding buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Thought I'd introduce you all to my little riding buddy. He's 3, almost 4, and loves motorcycles. He usually gets to ride on either my, or his dad's Harley, in front of us, but only on the "little" roads. Got him a DOT helmet, gloves and a suit, put him on back and strapped him in. We did about 20 miles of back roads, and he was pissed when we got home, wanted to go a 'really long ways'. Note the "Ghostrider" helmet he picked out. Yep, he's my grandson. You may have guessed that I like him a little bit.

I don't know about Oregon, but in Maine, the passenger MUST have full foot contact with the rear foot pegs. that would be a really spendy ticket where I live...

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 1:06 am

Good for you...them little ones sure wrap us around the fingers dont they?

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:09 am

My "Little Buddy" is 7 now! Grandpa, you are creating memories and mentoring our future America.

God Bless!
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:39 am

Question How young is too young?

I would love to take my grandson (he's 4) out on the bike, but I wonder: how young is too young for riding on a bike?
I think if he's old enough to reach the rear pegs, and hold on by himself, it may be okay. But, strapping him to the bike? Makes me shudder.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Believe me, I agonized over that too. I'm building him rear pegs, but with regard to strapping him in, I reasoned that he was best protected by preventing him from sliding off with the seat belt that I controlled, and not foot pegs that he would have been required to control. Nice part, though, is that I can see him in my mirrors at all times.
And I thought long and hard about the consequences of dropping the bike and/or him. I also left the decision to his parents.
If you look in the background of that photo, you'll see a paint horse. That's his too. And he rides in his own little saddle. That too scares me, as I've probably less control over that horse than my bike. But in the end, the memories and pure joy of the time spent together like this seem to have paid off.
Again, I really do understand anyone's opinion that it might not be the smartest thing to do, but it's been awesome so far. I would never cause him undo risk.
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Most of us know you thought it out and kudos to you....I'm still working on the details for my grandson cus he always wants to sit on "papa's bike"
play around and, of course, I let him kill my battery repeatedly......in my presence

Mike
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Great Picture, my grandson is only one but I'm sure he will be asking for rides. If you don't mind my asking, The passenger arm rests on your bike, are they a BMW option or aftermarket. And approximate $$$?

Mark
2004 K1200LT(black/silver)
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Re: How young is too young?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
But, strapping him to the bike? Makes me shudder.
Yea - me too. What does a skydiving instructor use with newb's? I've thought that I would rather have a kid securely attached to me rather than the bike, as if I'd have more control over the situation...

Mark
'07 RT
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 8:28 pm

My 2 kids were only a year old each when we started putting them on our 2 bikes (wife's and mine). We used a very long belt and a harness until they were old enough to sit in back. Even then you got to watch out for them dozing off and possibly falling off. They got a lot of fingers in the sides waking them up! But nothing stopped us. Couldn't have more than 2 kids because that's all we could carry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in