which windshield? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:21 am Thread Starter

which windshield?

I'm about to replace the stock scratched really-hard-to-see-through-at-night windshield on my 01LT. Have EXCELLENT results on my 96RSL with the Parabellum, but am curious about the others and the experience this readership has had with them.

Last weekend, I got to the end of a 400-miler, and during the resulting "I'm here" call, found out I would have to immediately saddle up for 500 more back the other way. At night. In the dark. In the cold, cold dark with no warm, warm clothes. It would be hard enough seeing through that window, but in the dark with chattering teeth on two-lane that I was not familiar with. Whew. Anyway, I made it, but vowed to replace the old window with a new, slick one.

Which one do you like and why?

Jim Duffy
2001 BMW K1200LTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1980 Harley Superglide
You can never have too many motorcycles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Re: which windshield?

I swapped my stock with a CB +2 - I'm tall w/long torso and that one fits me just fine. Short enough to see over the top when it's clear, and rises enough to keep rainout of my face on the rare occasions when it's necessary.

I never wear a full face helmet, so I can attest to its ability to keep grit and bugs off the face as well...

Good luck on your quest!
post #3 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 1:24 pm

I got a Cee Bailey -2.

post #4 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Another vote for the CeeBailey +2. I have ridden the stock, CB, and Vstream. I went back to CB after trying the V. You will get lots of varying opinions on this subject, so don't expect a clear cut answer. It seems that no one shield is the answer for all riders. There are those that love the stocker and those that swear by one aftermarket or another.

For me the CB makes wind almost silent between 50 and 65mph. Otherwise it is good, and keeps the bugs/debris to a minimum.
post #5 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 2:04 pm

I have the CB+2 on my 2000 LT and I swear by it. Clear, quiet, thick enough that it does not jiggle around at speed, and I still have fun playing with the height adjustment! It's a personal choice but you asked for opinions...so...and why not keep an electric vest in the panniers for just those occasions when it gets cold out? It really helps!
post #6 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead_Jim
I'm about to replace the stock scratched really-hard-to-see-through-at-night windshield on my 01LT. Have EXCELLENT results on my 96RSL with the Parabellum, but am curious about the others and the experience this readership has had with them.

Last weekend, I got to the end of a 400-miler, and during the resulting "I'm here" call, found out I would have to immediately saddle up for 500 more back the other way. At night. In the dark. In the cold, cold dark with no warm, warm clothes. It would be hard enough seeing through that window, but in the dark with chattering teeth on two-lane that I was not familiar with. Whew. Anyway, I made it, but vowed to replace the old window with a new, slick one.

Which one do you like and why?
I have a Parabellum (brown tinted) on my 2005 LT. I am impressed with the overall quality but it s too tall for me. It is the standard height, I believe. I willbe picking up a Cee Bailey #2 (clear) without wings on Tuesday. It's a bit shorter if we measured correctly!
post #7 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Hi

I just purchased & Installed a screen from Eagle Screens, West Australia for my 2003LT. (eaglesreens.com.au). I have purchased them before for a R1100RT and they did a real good job.

The screen for the LT is 50mm higher than stock, Wind lip on the sides, but only about 100mm from top as they didn't want interfere with the lower plastics. This just stops the wind coming onto my shoulders. Also a grey light tint.

Looks great on the bike and gives me the added area coverage from wind, cold and bugs (Winter is a coming in Sydney, Australia).

Costs were $307 Auzzy Dollars which included postage (don't know what postage would be to USA). They do send World wide!!.

Regards

Graham W

Albion Park, NSW, Australia
Ulysses #26833
post #8 of 24 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Sounds like you would be a candidate of the HID group buy from Fashtek... 75.00 total for low beam and 75.00 total for high beam.

Windshield, oh yeah: Cee Bailey.. I am on my second. This one is a #2 -2 with wings.. Can see through it fine. Be it night, day, etc.. No problem. Mine is clear. And, it has the wings which is great for winter riding..

I live in Colorado.
post #9 of 24 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 1:48 am

Parabellum here .... The MOST distortion free sheild built for LT's !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 24 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 4:54 am

I have a VStream and yes it is clear and well made but it's all about BUFFETING BUFFETING BUFFETING. It sucks. I'm so pissed I'm gonna buy a GT. So if you want to buy a GT buy a VStream.
post #11 of 24 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen
I have a VStream and yes it is clear and well made but it's all about BUFFETING BUFFETING BUFFETING. It sucks. I'm so pissed I'm gonna buy a GT. So if you want to buy a GT buy a VStream.
And the opposite opinion: I have a VStream and love it. Well, you know what they say about opinions.....

I do know one thing: I would NEVER buy an acrylic windshield. Check this thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...dshield+broken

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #12 of 24 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 5:09 pm

I have a CeeBailey #2 +2 and a ZTechnik Vstream and have used them both for some time. I have noticed when I am riding that some time the amount of wind seems to overwhelm my window motor so I have to slow down to adjust the height. I didn't notice that resistance with the stock wind screen but it needed to be replaced. When I bought the CB they included a headlight cover to protect the glass. I would imagine the two screens would be a bit too large for a shorter person as I am 6'6" and I can adjust them so I am looking just over the top in inclement weather.
post #13 of 24 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm

I agree with tat-n-tell. I would never ride behind an acrylic windshield. Nothing but polycarbonite (lexon) for me. Do some research on the two.Then make up your own mind.
post #14 of 24 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 9:24 am

To stir the water here:
I do somewhat understand the differences between the two (Lexan & Acrylic) but my question is what damage, if any, will the windshield adusting mechanism get if the windshield takes the full hit without breaking away? Some things have failure designed into them to prevent something worse or more costly from happening. Like a fuse for instance.

Of course there is many ways of approach to any design. And what is the chances you'd actually hit something that would break the windshield anyway? What if you had no windshield at all?
My approach is gonna be which one is better for my comfort while in the saddle. Visually and buffering for my wife and I. I personally dislike my factory windshield and will change this out asap.

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #15 of 24 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip001
To stir the water here:
I do somewhat understand the differences between the two (Lexan & Acrylic) but my question is what damage, if any, will the windshield adusting mechanism get if the windshield takes the full hit without breaking away? Some things have failure designed into them to prevent something worse or more costly from happening. Like a fuse for instance.

Of course there is many ways of approach to any design. And what is the chances you'd actually hit something that would break the windshield anyway? What if you had no windshield at all?
My approach is gonna be which one is better for my comfort while in the saddle. Visually and buffering for my wife and I. I personally dislike my factory windshield and will change this out asap.
The factory windshield is polycarbonate, I believe. In any case, it's still less expensive (and less painful) to repair a broken windshield mechanism than to have your face stitched back together.
I rode cruisers for years with no windshield. I would never do it again. All it takes is one big arse bug to hit you in the face at highway speeds to convince you otherwise. It feels like you just got sucker punched. I also took a hit dead center in the sunglasses from a rock dropped off the back of a tractor trailer full of crushed stone. Luckily, they were prescription, made for motorcycling, and were made of shatterproof material.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #16 of 24 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 3:41 pm

I had a parabellum until I went down (hit some wet leaves on a curve). The parabellum took most of the hit and broke in two. I may have bent the windshield mechanism a little.

I put the original windshield back on. WOW what buffeting.

I will buy another Parabellum.
post #17 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:41 am

My 2002 stock windshield was yellowed, had some distortion, and was hard to see through. I found a new shorter european (?) stock BMW windshield on ebay at a bargain price. Looked here for help on installing myself. Did it. Tried it today. I can see over the top easily. In the raised position I can see over the top if I sit very straight. Buffeting and wind noise are much reduced, especially in the partially raised position. The optical clarity is much better on this screen, plus there's no distortion. I also installed that aluminum rack from A&S in place of the topbox. I believe the bike looks much better now, as a bonus.

Deacon of the Desert
2002 LTC
'88 NX250

7500', Mt. Taylor, NM
post #18 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Another vote for the Cee Bailey #2 -2". Best windshield for the LT, period.

And a vote for the HID upgrade. And some heated gear.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
The factory windshield is polycarbonate, I believe. In any case, it's still less expensive (and less painful) to repair a broken windshield mechanism than to have your face stitched back together.
I rode cruisers for years with no windshield. I would never do it again. All it takes is one big arse bug to hit you in the face at highway speeds to convince you otherwise. It feels like you just got sucker punched. I also took a hit dead center in the sunglasses from a rock dropped off the back of a tractor trailer full of crushed stone. Luckily, they were prescription, made for motorcycling, and were made of shatterproof material.
Tat,
Thank you for the reply. I'm not as young as I use to be, so there will always be a windshield on my bikes. I have took too many bugs, sand blasting, and rocks all over my body (I use to ride in shorts and sandles here in Florida back in the young and DUMB days.) I enjoy riding behind the full fairings now. So much more comfortable and avoiding flying anything hitting you at speeds is a good thing. Once I got hit with something between the index finger and the thumb and I swear it felt like someone shot me wit a BB gun! Still undecided on which windshield is for me. I've heard good things about the Parabellum.

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]

Last edited by hip001; Apr 8th, 2008 at 10:02 am.
post #20 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:45 am

I have the CeeBailey #2 (stock height) with wings. Wings might be a little much for most - but my pillion prefers the larger wind pocket. She gets no buffeting, and I get no complaints...

BTW the CB stock height is MUCH higher than the OEM (more than 2 inches, because of the curvature at the top). If I had to do it over, I would have gotten the -2 height. I am 6'3", and can barely see over when lowered all the way.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #21 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
And the opposite opinion: I have a VStream and love it. Well, you know what they say about opinions.....

I do know one thing: I would NEVER buy an acrylic windshield. Check this thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...dshield+broken
I'll second that opinion on the VStream & acrylic windshields.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #22 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Unhappy Re: which windshield?

I'm 6'1" and bought a Vstream in hopes of reduced noise vs. stock. The improvement was VERY little if any. I'm going to do a proper test soon, re-installing the stocker after a test ride, and repeating the same roads/speeds. The Vstream may have cost me a little gas mileage. Not sure.
post #23 of 24 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:10 pm

I had a CB and put quite a few miles on it. Loved it. Then I came to Chiang Mai Thailand and the BMW dealer here managed to break it while changing my rear engine seal. So I had them order me another one only this time with the wings. Awesome!! Even more quiet.

Michael L. Lempenau
85/41 Moo7, T.Nongjom, A.Sunsai
Chiang Mai, 50210, Thailand
post #24 of 24 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:27 am

I have been very happy with a Cee Baileys -4" for the past two years. Last month I put on a new Cee Baileys -4" with wings. The new shield is also very nice although I did not notice as much difference as I had thought there would be. The wings did help more with protection in a nasty thunder storm I ran through last week. -Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in