Brake clutch and tranny fluid changes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Brake clutch and tranny fluid changes

Very costly to change per BMWs maintenance schedule. Is its really necessary ?

Last edited by ltlfeat; Apr 5th, 2008 at 6:35 am. Reason: did not edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:06 am

Re: Brake clutch and tranny fluid changes

maybe not per their schedule but if you dont change out the brake fluid at least once a year you need to expect problems with your abs. That will wish you had at least gone to a local tech session and had it changed, or had your dealer do it. This I suppose depends on how many miles you ride a year, there are some on here who can and do ride year round.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
maybe not per their schedule but if you dont change out the brake fluid at least once a year you need to expect problems with your abs. That will wish you had at least gone to a local tech session and had it changed, or had your dealer do it. This I suppose depends on how many miles you ride a year, there are some on here who can and do ride year round.
FYI - BMW put the brake fluid change recommendation out to every other year. As for whether it is necessary or not, I try to do as much as I can myself and make it as economical as I can but I don't second guess the service recommendations.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:24 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

BMW did alter the interval but only for those models that now have stainless steel lines the rubber line bikes are still on the annual wheel circuit and 2 years on the control circuit. And yes, you need to do it as the parts cost alone on the ABS unit is $1,700 not counting labor. Clutch is every 2 years.

Tranny change should not be that expensive. Less than 1 hour of labor.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlfeat
Very costly to change per BMWs maintenance schedule. Is its really necessary ?
Oil, Tranny, Rear End are rather simple. I am having the dealer do the brake fluid (and clutch while in there) because they have the proper flushing and ABS test equipment especially while it is still under warranty.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I have my brake/clutch fluid changed by the dealer every other year. Oil and tranny every 6K, once I hit 6K. Much more often before that.

When I owned Jap bikes, I changed ALL of my fluids a LOT more often because it was so darn easy. Oh, the good old days.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:32 pm

According the to service manager at BMW of Denver, the intervals for brake fluid change was increased to 4 years, yes 4 years. Not 2 and not 1 year.

Not coming from me..
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Like I said earlier, if you want to follow the "bmw scehdule", go for it. I enjoy peace of mind with fresh fluid at least once a year. For $5 a bottle it is a cheap piece of mind. I do change the brake and clutch fluid, I suppose if I had to have the dealer do it then I might very well follow their schedule.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
According the to service manager at BMW of Denver, the intervals for brake fluid change was increased to 4 years, yes 4 years. Not 2 and not 1 year.

Not coming from me..
That is true for the newer models as they have stainless steel (teflon inner) as opposed to the older rubber hoses in our LTs. He needs to go back and re-read the bulletin. Look at your fluid in the wheel circuit after one year and you will be convinced it needed changing. It will almost be black.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in