Silicone Dieiectric Compound - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Question Silicone Dieiectric Compound

What is the consensus regarding this compound, I would like to reduce oxidation of the electrical connections. I know this product will reduce oxidation BUT ! Is this the best product for maintaining conductivity and reducing oxidation? Any other suggestions ? And why.
Thanks, Pete Murray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 9:15 pm

You can't go wrong with it, but the downside is it tastes real bland.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 9:16 pm

taste..

Grif, I've tasted your BBQ... I didn't notice any flavor problems!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You can't go wrong with it, but the downside is it tastes real bland.
Grif
I would debate the palitability of the product,, It went well with the Sundried Tomatoes and Garlic Gourmet Cheese and Crackers.
Thanks Pete
post #5 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 7:19 am

Pete, Every time I work on the LT...EVERY connection I see, I pull apart and coat it with dielectric grease. Not too much, as you want to be careful not to over-fill the capacity of the connector. This stuff's been known to cure many of the LT's radio ills. But those connectors take a little work getting at.
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Pete, Every time I work on the LT...EVERY connection I see, I pull apart and coat it with dielectric grease. Not too much, as you want to be careful not to over-fill the capacity of the connector. This stuff's been known to cure many of the LT's radio ills. But those connectors take a little work getting at.
Thanks Joe I am sure you know a thing or two about this product being a electrical engineer.
Another question, Can this product insulate (non conduction medium) or keep loose plug pin connectors from being connected ?
Pete
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:09 am

It won't insulate, but it will cause problems with loose ones if you use too much. A leetle dab will do ya, you're just trying to coat, not drown.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:14 am

FYI: I'm a sound engineer...not an electrical engineer. But I digress...

Grif, I disagree. Dielectric does insulate. It is non-conductive...that's it's nature. Otherwise, we'd get bleed-over on every audio connection. And that's what we're trying to eliminate. But I do agree about the 'leetle goes a long way' suggestion.
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Joe wrote.... Dielectric does insulate. It is non-conductive...

Precisely my concern.. I just needed reinforcement.
Thanks, Pete
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Pete,

I'm a former Navy (nuke) electronics tech. I don't touch a connector without schmoozing some dielectric in it, as others have noted. Never had an issue with connectors in any of the bikes or classic cars I used it in. Go for it!

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 2:08 pm

I get good results with a copper compound paste, it is for any electrical connection good. And it can also be used on nuts and bolts that need to come loose again (exhaust,etc.) It is anti-seize and anti-corrision. What do you think of it?

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 5:19 pm

The word "copper" screams CONDUCTIVE. Not a good thing on electrical and audio connections . . . that is, if it's truly conductive. I use anti-seize compound that has copper in it...but that's for instances when two unlike metals come in contact with each other and oxidation occurs quickly.
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:35 pm

Joe, you are most correct. I use the copper paste on single high power connectors but never on multi pin connectors. I have seen sloppy techs make this mistake with expensive results.
post #14 of 15 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 2:14 am

I thought I was kinda sorta correct . . . but, "most" correct? I'll take it!

Two of my favorite uses for copper-based anti-seize are:
  1. The retainer rings on my MotoLights. Don't use the stuff and just try to replace a bulb a year or two later. Not fun.
  2. The threads on the axles of my Ninja. You've got hardened steel going into aluminum. Talk about locking up on ya. YIKES! And it doesn't take long. I use (BelRay) waterproof grease betwist the threads and anti-seize on the threads. Without doing that, you'll break many a tool trying to get those axles off that bike.
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 7:04 am

I sell two products from CAIG Laboratories you guys might be interested in . DeoxIT and PreservIT. DeoxIT cleans all electrical connections to like new. PreservIT lubricates, seals and protects. I've been selling a bunch of cans to local auto dealerships who have discovered it. There really isn't anything like it on the market. For you guys who want the technical details you can check out their web site www.caig.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in