Motolights are fantastic!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Motolights are fantastic!!

I installed some caliper Motolights and WOW what a difference. Highly recommended!! While doing the above I realized how much my bike reminds me of being married. I cussed and swore at her (my bike) because she kept doing things to piss me off. After finishing all my add-ons and after cussing her for 2 days. I stood back when done and realized how much I love her. So I talked sweet to her and she took me for a great ride!(my bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:02 pm

Re: Motolights are fantastic!!

I've been a Motolights fans for several years. And the company is even better than the product. Awesome customer support!
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:04 pm

If Motolight made HID lights I might have bought some, but I've never seen any. I sold my PIAA lights for the same reason (not HID) and replaced them with Trail Tech HID lights. So far, nothing I have seen beats a HID light in action.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

Last edited by ArthurKnowles; Apr 4th, 2008 at 9:29 pm.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
I installed some caliper Motolights and WOW what a difference. Highly recommended!! While doing the above I realized how much my bike reminds me of being married. I cussed and swore at her (my bike) because she kept doing things to piss me off. After finishing all my add-ons and after cussing her for 2 days. I stood back when done and realized how much I love her. So I talked sweet to her and she took me for a great ride!(my bike)
I agree, Alex, they are a great addition to the LT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #5 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Quick questions. I can not get back far enough in my garage to get a good level/aim. I used a level and pointed them slightly down. I took it for a ride and no one flashed their lights saying they were to bright. I just did the included 35w. I get good ground coverage. Does it sound right to you?

Also I could not find a torqe rating for the caliper bolts used on the motolights. I tightened to the point the light housing would not turn. Pretty darn tight. The OEMs that came out didnt seem that tight. I also saw no evidence of lock tight on the OEM bolts so I didnt use it on these. Am I ok?
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The caliper bolts on the 05 are torqued to 30 Nm or 22.1 ftlb no loctite.

The smaller pinch bolt controls the rotation of the light. Set it at 3.5 degrees down from level. There should have been a cardboard ring to place in front of the lens to hold an inclinometer on to for setting the angle.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 7 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
I get good ground coverage. Does it sound right to you?
I make my final adjustments to my Motolights by pulling up to a large window at night (think: your local strip plaza) and look at the reflections of the lights in the store-front window. I keep raising them little by little until I think they are too high, then back them down a tad. I never have people flashing me their brights . . . even when I had TWO sets of Motolights on my LT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in