Side Tupperware Pointer for First Timers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Side Tupperware Pointer for First Timers

First let me say once done its not that bad but its a learning experience.
Some things I learned the hard way.
A. Keep a record of what length screw comes out of what hole.
B. Do not overtighten the screws when putting back on.
C. There are retaining screw clips that can fall off or out of place. Make sure they are all lined up before screwing tupperware back on. I had one more screw to go and sure enough thats the one that had fallen in a place I could not get to without removing the tupperware again. So be careful. Kind of a pain but glad I learned. Should be easier next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:30 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Side Tupperware Pointer for First Timers

yep, felt that pain before.... scary, wasn't it!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

I tell you it was. I am not great with tools or mechanical stuff like some are. I am very good with electronics. I felt great and very proud of myself when I stood back after finishing. The only help I got was off this great forum. Next time or even a different piece of tupperware wont be as near as hard I feel.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Tupperware removal/instalaltion can be a challange, but don't let it get you down. I had similar problems on my RT the first time and the first time I removed any new tupperware. Like the tail section just recently to install red LED reflectors. I tightened down the inner support for the rack, but forgot I had other bolts to put in first. So, apart it came again and I did it the correct way.

I had similar issues with alignment. What I learned form my Concours and used on my RT is to put the bolts in, but not tighten them more than half way. Get all the bolts in first, then and only then, thighten the bolts down snugly. That way you can be sure the bolts are aligned as is the tupperware. It's also a good idea to pick up a tap and die set. I use them to clean the bolts or nuts at times. Particulalry if they have ever been cross threaded.

And a picture of the tupperware where you can mark bolt sizes is also a good idea. As is using ziplock baggies to hold bolts. I label them per tupperware piece. If I have multiple sizes, I use snack size bags inside the tupperware bag to hold different size screws and mark where these came from on the bag. I reuse the bags.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Garage

I am neither mechanical or any good with electronics but working on the LT is very simple.

Is it me, or does it really make sense when you take off the plastic?

It just works.

Damned German Engineering!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 12 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Side Tupperware Pointer for First Timers

To keep up with the proper placement of the 3 different size screws I use this:
Take a permanent marker and just outside the screw dead(on the Tupperware) put dots. 1 for the longest, 2 for the next longest and 3 for the shortest.
No need to look at a diagram or list. The dots aren't seen since most are covered by plastic.
Works for me!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 5:31 am

About those retaining screw clips - never put a damaged or rusty one back.
Keep a bag of spares so you don't get tempted.
Drilling the bolt head off when those things start spinning is a PITA...........don't ask me how long it took me to learn this!!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:38 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I bought my LT 3 years ago the second Day I had it I saw a small (dime size) oil drop below it My wife was out of town so I started to remove parts to see if I could find the leak. About 3 hours later EVERY piece of tupperware but the nose cone was off. Had the valve cover and crank cover off also. That's when Sammie came home She freaked out to say the least. The good news was I fixed the leak and have not had one sense. Altho I did have ONE screw left over. to this day I have never found where that screw came from

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:44 am

Just the one bolt left over? Not bad going!!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #10 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:47 am

I just finished taking the plastic off for the first time also, I took a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, drew the shapes of all the panels and then drilled holes for all the screws. I just plugged the screws in the corresponding holes in the plywood as they came off.

Easy to do and the template just hangs on the wall when done. I also dropped one of the last screws down by the tank and had to pull it all off again.

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 11:36 am

I have been told by a fair number of people with high levels of experience working on LTs, and the consistent message was to generally not worry about the screw sizes. If the screw fits, use it. If it does not engage, use a larger screw.

Places that need the very short screws are just aft of the oddiments box lock; long screws mess with the lock. The windshied retainers have their own hex cerew. The rear most screw on the chrome trim, on the shot side next to the main body, that is a long screw.

I've had her stripped down at least a half dozen times, and no issues with the screws. I cannot tell how many leftovers I have as I have several coffee cans containing a myriad of screws collectyed from disassembling four LTs.

In other words, Just Screw It!!!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 12 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
To keep up with the proper placement of the 3 different size screws I use this:
Take a permanent marker and just outside the screw dead(on the Tupperware) put dots. 1 for the longest, 2 for the next longest and 3 for the shortest.
No need to look at a diagram or list. The dots aren't seen since most are covered by plastic.
Works for me!
I've had my LT for 2 1/2 years and have yet to do any of the work on it. I'm talking myself into it (gradually!), and this tip makes so much sense that I will be happy to use it and give you credit for it.

The least I can do is change the fluids on the LT. I just received a set of LT service videos from Paul Sayegh to help me with that. A lift is next!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in