LT on a trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

LT on a trailer

I am looking at purchasing a SWIVELWHEEL-78 SYSTEM trailer from FAST MASTER PRODUCTS, INC to haul my LT on behind my travel trailer. It is a one wheel trailer and I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this company or style of trailer. My concern is the weight of the LT on one wheel/tire. They also make a two swivel wheel model which may be necessary to carry the weight. I chose this style of trailer as it is the only type that can go behind a conventional travel trailer.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:03 am

Re: LT on a trailer

I have no experience with it, but it looks scary...

Harbor freight trailer might be better at a fraction of the cost.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:19 am

I don't see any infomation on their web site that says what weight that thing would carry. I don't think it is something I'd want to try.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:33 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My first impression is why? Why not a standard utility trailer? Guess I don't get it. But given that it is load rated for 1,000 lbs it should work just fine. It would just bother me to have a swinging platform behind a rather long vehicle as apposed to an articulated tow trailer. I guess your major issue would be in backing the system as that would be harder with a conventional trailer. This would be easy to back up with.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:48 am

(My post from the other thread)

I'm assuming you're talking about this trailer (see pic below). What bothers me about that design is that you're putting ALL of your faith into ONE tire, ONE wheel, and ONE wheel bearing. Yikes! Don't mean to scare you, but I think it's something to consider, heavily.

Maybe if I could ride a unicycle, I wouldn't be so concerned.

post #6 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 2:15 pm

It's rated for 1,000#, usually you want a trailer to be rated to close to double to allow for bumps & dips in the road. Looks cool though!
post #7 of 15 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 3:56 pm

I saw a trailer with a fixed hitch and TWO swivel wheels that allowed you to back up easily. Just can't remember where. But this might be the one to consider.

EDIT: I had no idea I was responding to a four year old thread!

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...

Last edited by Knife; Sep 3rd, 2012 at 5:40 pm.
post #8 of 15 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 4:20 pm

I love it when a thread is resurrected from 4 and 1/2 years ago!

I wonder what the record is? I think we switched over from the old site to this one around 2005 or so? Pretty sure the oldest one I've seen so far has been 7 years.

Here's an interesting double swivel wheel homebuilt - VERY stout. The only thing I have a little problem with is the trailer's "tongue" - I would want to make sure that was built from a solid bar piece of stock instead of tubular, but this bad boy looks like it could take a lot of punishment. I love the low boy build, but still can't figure out the advantage of a swivel wheel versus a regular articulated trailer - except of course they are easier to back up. You're definitely going to suffer from poorer fuel mileage with the broadside approach versus in the slip stream... not to mention tossing gravel from the rear wheels at high speed right onto the bike's fenders. Ouch.

http://www.billieg2.com/Swivel/index.html

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Sep 3rd, 2012 at 4:55 pm.
post #9 of 15 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 4:21 pm

First thing that popped into my mind is that your towing 2 trailers, which may not be legal in all states. It's not in Oregon (without permits and proper equipment). Something to consider or at least check into.
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 4:29 pm

[QUOTE=RonKMiller]I love it when a thread is resurrected from 4 and 1/2 years ago!

Ron, perhaps this is a sign that folks here are getting bored. How's about you say something really controversial and get things started?
post #11 of 15 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 4:33 pm

[QUOTE=fpmlt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I love it when a thread is resurrected from 4 and 1/2 years ago!

Ron, perhaps this is a sign that folks here are getting bored. How's about you say something really controversial and get things started?
Well let's see: politics and religion are always good hopping off points - but I think they've been banned from the site just like towing triple in MANY states:

(how's that for a segue for getting back on topic?)

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 5:34 pm

I'll bet these old threads pop up in the "Similar Threads" section below. I go to them occasionally and always enjoy learning something new/old...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 15 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Well let's see: politics and religion are always good hopping off points - but I think they've been banned from the site just like towing triple in MANY states:

(how's that for a segue for getting back on topic?)
You done good...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 15 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackercraft792
I am looking at purchasing a SWIVELWHEEL-78 SYSTEM trailer from FAST MASTER PRODUCTS, INC to haul my LT on behind my travel trailer. It is a one wheel trailer and I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this company or style of trailer. My concern is the weight of the LT on one wheel/tire. They also make a two swivel wheel model which may be necessary to carry the weight. I chose this style of trailer as it is the only type that can go behind a conventional travel trailer.
Greetings.
You might take a look at this trailer. I have been researching as you have and it has caught my interest. I too will be towing triple.
http://theusatrailerstore.com/produc...-trailers.html
Best regards,
Bill Decker AKA rktman

ps - tried to log on just now and the site is down for maintenance. Go figure.
post #15 of 15 Old Sep 4th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
How's about you say something really controversial and get things started?
Simple, just state that THE TRAILER should use {insert your favorite here} brand oil. And, what about the tires?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in