Bmw Special Tools - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Bmw Special Tools

I need to replace the clutch on my 2005 LT
Several special tools are identified in the repair manual (CD)
Anyone know where to get those tools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Re: Bmw Special Tools

I looked at doing the job also. I don't think that you need any of the tools. The only thing besides hand tools and a way to support the bike is a clutch centering tool. There are universial ones at parts stores that should work fine. You can even eyeball it. If it is not aligned ok it will simply not go in.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #3 of 4 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 8:20 pm

You only need two special tools, the 30MM cutaway socket /12 MM allen wrench for torqueing the swing arm pivots, and the bar to hold the clutch drive plate to remove/replace the 30MM nut on the engine output shaft.

I made my own tools. I and a couple other people have made the cutaway sockets for others also, I sold 50 sets of them, and others also sold some sets. There should be someone within a reasonble distance from just about anyone here who would loan out the tools.

The clutch drive plate holding bar I made from a piece of 1/8" X 1-1/2" aluminum flat bar I just happened to have around. You have to measure a little, cut a little too long, then trim until if fits as in the picture in the service manual. It would be very difficult to loosen or tighten the nut without a holding bar like this in place.

Other than those two tools, you can do everything else without anything special.

The angle measuring tool for tightening the engine output shaft nut is definitely not needed! Only BMW can make something so simple so difficult! The special tool is to measure a 60 degree angle of turn on the nut! Guess what, 60 degrees is exactly one flat on the nut to another! Torque the nut as required, mark one of the flats, then turn untill the next one lines up with the mark. Or put two marks on the outside of your socket at 60 degrees apart, mark where the first mark is when it is on the nut, turn to the second mark.

A couple of long 8MM bolts with the heads cut off and screwdriver slots cut in the end with a hacksaw make fine transmission aligning rods when re-installing it. It can be done without these though, you may just invoke the name of your favorite diety in the process.

Wolfgang is correct, no clutch aligning rod is necessary, just eyeball it in the center, then tighten the clutch cover plate enough to hold the clutch plate in place. You can try the actuating rod in it before fully tightening the cover plate bolts.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks For The Information

I'm Still A Little Intimidated By This Kind Of Repair, But, It Looks Like Lots Of Others Have Done It With No Problems - So I'll Give It A Try

Thanks Again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in