Year to year K LT spec changes? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Year to year K LT spec changes?

What I really need to know is if the front fork dimensions and placement is the same for all K12LT model years. Same for the front fender and the front wheel. The root of my questions is that I contemplate installing a different/larger tire on the front of the bike and am concerned about clearances.

If the forks, the fender and the wheel are the same for a 2003 and a 2005 K LT, I am in good shape. The vehicle in question is a 2005 K LT based Hannigan trike and I want to mount a 130/70x17" tire.

Thank you in advance.
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:17 am

Re: Year to year K LT spec changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
What I really need to know is if the front fork dimensions and placement is the same for all K12LT model years. Same for the front fender and the front wheel. The root of my questions is that I contemplate installing a different/larger tire on the front of the bike and am concerned about clearances.

If the forks, the fender and the wheel are the same for a 2003 and a 2005 K LT, I am in good shape. The vehicle in question is a 2005 K LT based Hannigan trike and I want to mount a 130/70x17" tire.
FWIW - I installed both front and rear tires and wheels from a '2002LT on my '2007LT for a time when I was trying to figure out a 40mph handlebar wobble problem when my bike was new. No clearance issues. With regard to the front fender, the '2007 has a cover for the lower part of the fork, the '2002 does not.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Re: Year to year K LT spec changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
FWIW - I installed both front and rear tires and wheels from a '2002LT on my '2007LT for a time when I was trying to figure out a 40mph handlebar wobble problem when my bike was new. No clearance issues. With regard to the front fender, the '2007 has a cover for the lower part of the fork, the '2002 does not.
Thanks for the info, Jim. I am about ready to bite the bullet and try a Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70 x 17" rear tire on the Hannigan trike. Though it is a bit taller and wider than the stock front tire, word is that it is the hot setup when mounted backwards on a trike. The Gold Wing trike crowd rave about it. I might have to remove or find a different way to attach my Fenda Extenda since it appears to be the closest to the tire.

Anyone else have thoughts about clearance?

Regards,
Ben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in