Another New LT Rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Another New LT Rider

Hi All, Well I finally got a helmet today (SYMAX II) which allowed me to get out on my 2006 LT this afternoon although it is only +7C hear in Northern Alberta. This is a much bigger bike than my last one 20yrs ago, it was a Norton 750 Interstate.
Only road about 30klms but it was JOYOUS moment to get back into Motorcycling after 20yrs away & what a way to GET BACK.
I am looking forward to getting out every day I can being retired and getting some long trips done this summer.
One thing I noticed was that the brakes seems a little grabby than I remember my Norton being, but maybe that's just getting used to grip/foot pressue.

Riding Like So no one can Steal It!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:53 pm

Re: Another New LT Rider

Welcome back.

Northern Alberta???? I grew up in Castledowns and still have family there. If you ever are down south in God's country pm me and will hit the mountain trails.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:26 pm

Bighopper... congrats on "coming home"....

Your LT is equipped with "ABS"... that means you have "power assisted" brakes.... The pressure on the controls is appropriately amplified to the wheel circuits and monitored by the ABS system which will pulse your "brakes" in event of wheel lockup....

so... ... since this bike appears to be "previously owned/used", take it out and make some "high speed passes".... increase your braking each time.. keep your head up, eyes looking ahead as you know you go where you look.... and you'll find just how quick this bike will stop... nothing like your Norton...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your input & iinvites 2Alpha & Cfell. I will try the brake thing & see if that makes a difference.

Now it's time to add some Farkles
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:40 am

Hey Bighopper,

Welcome to the forum!

I just recently picked up my 06 (ocean blue US model) as well, so we have a lot of similiarities, and noticed how easy it was to refamiliarize myself with the LT characteristics after riding one in 01.

This bike will do all that you ask of it and surprise you with how well it does them. Given it's increased size and extra hardware, you will want to refamiliarize yourself with ridding this particular machine, especially on slow manouvers since the weight will be unforgiving if an unattentive mistake in positioning is made.

Congrats, and enjoy! If you ever decide to take a trip east... look me up!!

Mauro

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:12 am

Welcome aboard!
What a way to get back into it, eh? Same story as mine and, likely, a lot of us here. 20 year absence from the odd Japanese etc...into an LT!
Hey...my dad lives in Wabbamund (sp.?); if I ever visit him on the LT maybe I'll scoop you up and we'll both coast into his yard. Really freak the old fart out.
You'll find these forums very helpful. (And fun)
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister
Welcome aboard!

What a way to get back into it, eh? Same story as mine and, likely, a lot of us here. 20 year absence from the odd Japanese etc...into an LT!
Hey...my dad lives in Wabbamund (sp.?); if I ever visit him on the LT maybe I'll scoop you up and we'll both coast into his yard. Really freak the old fart out.
You'll find these forums very helpful. (And fun)
DarkMeister,

By all means drop by if your in the area & we can make that little trip to the 'Ol farts place'.
Have a Good day & Ride Safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in