Wiring harness help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Wiring harness help!

I have just spent 2hrs trying to feed the motolight wiring harness from battery to front of bike. Is there anyway that it can be done with out removeing the tupperware? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:24 pm

Re: Wiring harness help!

You're kidding right?

I removed all the tupperware and my gas tank on my RT to do the job right. That means I bundled up the wires, put heat shrink (or wrapped them in electrical tape), then ran them to my fuse box securing them along the way with zip ties and making sure nothing would rub against them. It's a tiring job and requires significant work. I suspect the LT is no different.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

I was afraid you were going to say that. Oh well so much for Motolights. Sorry I am not great as some on this forum at removing tupperware. I can run a bundle of audio video wires down a wall and under a crawl space and back up inside another wall but cant run 1 harness 2 feet on a motorcycle. Pretty sad.
Thanks though

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:35 pm

There are a couple of good articles on how to rtemove the tupperware. It's not difficult, but can be tedious. I help mine along by using an electric screwdriver with a 25 torx adapter in it.

I also have a Chiltons manual and the BMW manual for reference.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:38 pm

If you're under a serious time restraint, you can feed the wires without taking off ANY Tupperware. But the right way to do it is to remove the Tupperware, obviously.
post #6 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 3:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: Wiring harness help!

I think there was a posting about feeding a stiff wire up the right side to the front to pull the electrical wires back to the battery w/o tupperware removal.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:02 pm

hifiman,

Maybe a fellow LT rider in your area would be willing to lend a hand in removal of your "tupperware". Just a thought.

The first time is a bit scary, but it goes pretty quickly (especially following the instructions floating around on the site). It gets easier each time after that and last time I didnt have any screws left over when finished

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:11 pm

yup... you can do it... but you really, really should take off the Tware.

However....

If you have some "mechanics wire" you can bend it over on the tip and wrap with some tape to help it slide... then work it near the area where the front right and right vertical sides meet... just to the right of the Gas Filler. There is a possibility you'll get too close to the front suspension.... so be careful....

Once you get it to the front you can tape your wire to it and pull through, sorta like a po-man's fishtape..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
I have just spent 2hrs trying to feed the motolight wiring harness from battery to front of bike. Is there anyway that it can be done with out removeing the tupperware? Any suggestions?
I've done three of these now. Mine and two others... there is a channel that starts just forward of the seat hinge that extends down to the top of the fork tube. Using a variety of tools (building wire, extra long crimp finger and even a 1989 Ford radio antenna) I was able to get the wire from the hinge to the head light assembly very easily.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Wish I had not tried!! Wiring harness help!

Well I got the tupperware off. Ran my harness and put the tupperware back on. Ended up with an extra torx screw. Looked in all the places and cant find where it goes? When removing the side chrome plastic piece there is one screw (closest to driver) that holds the chrome plastic thing on. It has a rubber gasket that holds a nut that the screw goes in and as I was loosening it the rubber seal fell apart. I swear I have never seen so many cheap plastic parts in my life. Now I have to go to BMW tomorrow and order that piece. And I still do not know where that extra screw came from.

There was:
2 under the front amber turn signal
3 under the chrome plastic side piece
2 at the gas tank (1 visible when you open the CD door and 1 visible when you take the little latch door off. Not including the 2 black ones that hold the latch door down.
Im at a loss and very very frustrated. Kind of pissed too!
post #11 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:40 pm

Re: Wish I had not tried!! Wiring harness help!

Side panel: 2 15mm in turn signal recess. 1 15mm under mirror. 6 20mm in rest of panel.

Under mirror winglet: 3 15mm.

Tank lock cover: 2 15mm.

Black tip over bumper cover: 2 15mm.

Chrome tipover trim: 2 12mm in front. 1 20mm at rear.

And, if you took off the radio stingray: 4 20mm (2 each side) and 2 15mm at rear.

Quote:
Well I got the tupperware off. Ran my harness and put the tupperware back on. Ended up with an extra torx screw. Looked in all the places and cant find where it goes? When removing the side chrome plastic piece there is one screw (closest to driver) that holds the chrome plastic thing on. It has a rubber gasket that holds a nut that the screw goes in and as I was loosening it the rubber seal fell apart. I swear I have never seen so many cheap plastic parts in my life. Now I have to go to BMW tomorrow and order that piece. And I still do not know where that extra screw came from.

There was:
2 under the front amber turn signal
3 under the chrome plastic side piece
2 at the gas tank (1 visible when you open the CD door and 1 visible when you take the little latch door off. Not including the 2 black ones that hold the latch door down.
Im at a loss and very very frustrated. Kind of pissed too!
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Found it! It was the one behind the lower wing cover.

Now I will have to order that rubber gasket that holds the end of the chrome plastic wing screw in place and I should be in good shape. Plastic parts!!!!

I also noticed all the screws seemed loose and thats all over the bike holding any of the tupperware in place.
Is that the way its supposed to be? Also should I be using any blue locktight
on these? Thanks

Other than the above I am darn proud of myself. I know removing tupperware seems simple to some (most) but this was my first time and I almost did it right!
post #13 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:30 pm

Seee.... don't it feel good to beat the Boogey Man...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

It does except Adventure BMW wrote back about ordering the part and said I cant bring it to them for inspection because Motolights are not legal in Virginia and wont pass inspection. Day just get better.
post #15 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Found it! It was the one behind the lower wing cover.

Now I will have to order that rubber gasket that holds the end of the chrome plastic wing screw in place and I should be in good shape. Plastic parts!!!!

I also noticed all the screws seemed loose and thats all over the bike holding any of the tupperware in place.
Is that the way its supposed to be? Also should I be using any blue locktight
on these? Thanks

Other than the above I am darn proud of myself. I know removing tupperware seems simple to some (most) but this was my first time and I almost did it right!
Good on ya. Gets easier each time!!!!

No loctite on the body screws. Most are 2nm torque settings, butt I imagine folks just do a two-finger tighty-tight on the torx driver. I tried one of those pivoting, battery operated screwdrivers with the torque settings - never felt comfortable that they gave the same oomph to each screw before 'click-click' at the setting, so I went back to the two-finger tight method. BTW - you should NOT have any body screws loose.

BTW #2 - had an ace wrench tell me one time that if I followed the prescribed placement of the various screw sizes (12mm, 15mm, 20mm, etc), that the tupperware will fit better and rattle less as it settles in after reinstalling. I cheated and used the same size all over one time - he wuz right. It do make a diff. JHTCW, and mine too!!
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all and thanks Dick for the screw help and placement. I had the short and long ones all misplaced. Great help and again much thanks. 2 finger tightened. Now I have to go talk sweet to my bike and give it a big hug. I called it all kind of bad names today.
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Glad you got it all sorted, Alex.

But I'll warn you now. When you start changing windshields, DO NOT over-tighten those screws. It doesn't take much to crack a windshield. They should be snug, but not overly tight.

Also watch for four little rubber washers that sit just under the windshield. Sometimes these fall out when you remove the windshield.

And take care when you put those screws back in, especially the top two. The angle isn't quite what you may think and it's easy to cross thread them. I'd pay a lot of attention to the exact angle as you take out the old ones. Or put a smaller allen wrench in the hole to see how it lines up first. That should help.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:56 am

Quote:
It does except Adventure BMW wrote back about ordering the part and said I cant bring it to them for inspection because Motolights are not legal in Virginia and wont pass inspection. Day just get better.
This is why I always bring my bike to my dealer for inspections. Never had any troubles with them. Beside, it give me a reason to visit the dealer and see what is new.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in