Dang I joined that other club - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Dang I joined that other club

Failed Rear Drive Club. All my friends have joined. I guess it was time, in spite of preventative measures.

I have a 2001 LT. At 53k miles, I had a rear main drive leak, repaired by local shop Rhine West. While the bike was down, I had em swap the 19-ball bearing for a 17-ball. That was 22k miles ago. Easter weekend, coming back from Big Bend, Texas, the bearing cratered at mm330 on I-10 west of Ozona, Texas (thanks to Monte and Grif for helping me get it home again).

So here's my question - rather than pay $1100 for an OEM drive, I ordered a '99 drive from LTparts with 10k miles on it. It came from an LT that was triked and has the original 19 bearing. The newest BMW bearing is another 19-ball design different manufacturer. Does anyone know if I can swap bearings for a new one in an old rear drive housing? I have to assume they are interchangeable?

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Dang I joined that other club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemoore
Failed Rear Drive Club. All my friends have joined. I guess it was time, in spite of preventative measures.

I have a 2001 LT. At 53k miles, I had a rear main drive leak, repaired by local shop Rhine West. While the bike was down, I had em swap the 19-ball bearing for a 17-ball. That was 22k miles ago. Easter weekend, coming back from Big Bend, Texas, the bearing cratered at mm330 on I-10 west of Ozona, Texas (thanks to Monte and Grif for helping me get it home again).

So here's my question - rather than pay $1100 for an OEM drive, I ordered a '99 drive from LTparts with 10k miles on it. It came from an LT that was triked and has the original 19 bearing. The newest BMW bearing is another 19-ball design different manufacturer. Does anyone know if I can swap bearings for a new one in an old rear drive housing? I have to assume they are interchangeable?
Hey, Bud - not positive, butt I think you can. I'm on my way to see Hank and pick up ole Toad - I'll ax him if he knows. OK to mention your final drive 'event' to him???
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:09 pm

Wink Re: Dang I joined that other club

Hi,
I'm not a professional mechanic, but I do have a lot of common sense.

Here's what I think happens to a final drive. (experienced the FD failure twice).

I don't think it makes any difference whether you have the 17 ball or the 19 ball bearing. In my observation it's the cone roller bearing on the inside that goes first. That's the one that I think should be a sealed bearing and one that shouldn't have to have the correct preload on it. My last fix had pieces of the cone bearing in the oil but nothing appeared to be wrong with the 17 ball bearing.

I've had both the 17 and 19 ball bearing and both times the cone bearing was the one that pooped out. You could say that the 17 or 19 ball bearing allowed play in the first place, but I'm not to sure about that.

My feeling is that the casing might not be correct or simply the preload isn't correct. It's a damned shame I/we 4%er's have to deal with it.

I'm really wondering if a perfect fix would be to just get a whole different final drive used or new.

I wonder! I feel better now.............................lets hear it from the engineers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Bud - not positive, butt I think you can. I'm on my way to see Hank and pick up ole Toad - I'll ax him if he knows. OK to mention your final drive 'event' to him???
Shore, go right ahead.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:22 pm

Oh Thanks God!

I thought you were going to say that you bought a Harley.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Oh Thanks God!

I thought you were going to say that you bought a Harley.
No, but my neighbor did. Retired postal worker, bought an Touring set up. He can't even ride it, hasn't taken the Harley class yet. But, he has bought the hype/. No sir, won't catch me doing fuelish like that.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:06 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemoore
No, but my neighbor did. Retired postal worker, bought an Touring set up. He can't even ride it, hasn't taken the Harley class yet. But, he has bought the hype/. No sir, won't catch me doing fuelish like that.
"Retired postal worker"
Don't piss him off or he could go postal on you

Good luck on the repair.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 9:19 am

I would put the drive on without making any bearing changes. In my opinion, the bearing has never been the culprit, but something else in the way the drives were manufactured and assembled.

I am pretty sure the "old" 19 ball bearing and the "new" one are the exact same bearing, both by SKF. Someone please correct me if wrong.

The 17 ball bearing that saw a rather brief apperance was made by FAG.

As I recently posted in another thread, my take is that manufacture and assembly processes were the problem, NOT the bearings themselves.

I would NEVER open and mess with a factory unit that has no problems, as it just may outlast the bike. Trying to change the bearing without GOOD preload measuring capability is a total crap shoot, and you could end up with unit more likely to fail than you started out with.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I would put the drive on without making any bearing changes. In my opinion, the bearing has never been the culprit, but something else in the way the drives were manufactured and assembled.

I am pretty sure the "old" 19 ball bearing and the "new" one are the exact same bearing, both by SKF. Someone please correct me if wrong.

As I recently posted in another thread, my take is that manufacture and assembly processes were the problem, NOT the bearings themselves.

I would NEVER open and mess with a factory unit that has no problems, as it just may outlast the bike. Trying to change the bearing without GOOD preload measuring capability is a total crap shoot, and you could end up with unit more likely to fail than you started out with.
I haven't verified this, and prolly can't, butt Hank at Rhinewest said that his ordering protocol nowdays is using only one part number for the rear wheel drive bearing and he may receive a 17 ball unit, OR maybe a 19 ball one. No rhyme or specifics - he just has to take what he gets.

Now, having said that, I don't know if he has to order thru an intermediary, or can order direct from a warehouse - he's not a factory authorized 'dealership' with quotas and inventory requirements, so I'm guessing that is why he has to take what comes in. He does have a stack of used bearings (I'd guess a dozen or more), so he has a leetle track record on ordering outcomes.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 6:41 pm

yeah i would definitely do it this way. if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in