Radio didn't switch off - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:26 am Thread Starter

Radio didn't switch off

Hey guys and gals,

Last night I had the weirdest problem. I arrived at my destination, turn the key to the "off" position, like I always do, but the radio won't stop. Nothing helped. I hit every button imaginable on the handlebars, and the tank: nothing. Arrow Classic Rock FM just keeps screaming through the night. Nothing could make it shut up...

Now, mind you, this is a 3 weeks old '08 LT we're talking about. So I thought to be good mechanic , and unplug the battery. WTF?? The toolset you get with it only holds ONE PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER. And the bike doesn't even HAVE philips screws!!

So I went back home, got my own tools, unplugged the battery for a second. The radio went silent. When I switched the radio on again, it functioned like it should. All buttons were operational again.

First of all the radio: What was wrong with it? Anyone ever saw (heard) this? I know it stays on in the "P" position, but not in the "off" position. Glad it's a one-time-only incident... (so far)

Second: the toolset, WTF? See the image for the toolset that I got with my 28,500 euro (!) bike. A screwdriver, a fuse puller, and 4 fuses. Now seriously, how sad is that...

Last edited by SurfMan; Apr 2nd, 2008 at 4:31 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:48 am

Unhappy Re: Radio didn't switch off

I have a 99 LT that does the same thing. I have to bang on the stingray to get the radio to turn off. Pressing the off button doesn't do it. This doesn't happen all the time and there is no noticeable pattern, as in it does it after it's been washed. the only thing I could think of is something is sticking in the stingray. I've taken the stingray off and cleaned all the contact but no change noted.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:42 am Thread Starter

Re: Radio didn't switch off

Call me a n00b, but what is "the stingray"?

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:33 am

The control panel for the AM/FM/CD player. When you take it off the bike it looks something the fish, stingray.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:11 pm

They only switch off when you put it in "handlebar lock - remove key position". Try holding the radio button down for a couple of seconds.......it is not instant.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #6 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:12 pm

This happened to me a few times on my '00 K1200LT.

I was able to turn off the radio by switching from radio to CD and then back again.

I also tried just leaving it alone in the 'off' position. The radio
did finally turn off by itself. I don't know how long it took, because
I left (the bike is on a battery tender).

'00 Blue K1200LT
'02 XR650L (sold)

Todd
Minnesota

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Re: Radio didn't switch off

Look at all that storage space you have in the tool kit! Sorry for the attempt at humor but just think, if you had all the tools some of us got you would have paid another $100.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:29 pm

My 2006 had the same tool kit, but it has a standard screwdriver. WHat I did to it stop by Sears and I bought a set of open end wrenches (6 on one side 8 on the other, 9 & 10, all the way up to 17~19) for $25. Added an allen wrench set. Added a replacable tip screwdriver with phillips, straight, allen, and torx bits. And today I'm buying a side cutters and pliers for it. I may buy a 3/8" socket wrench and extension so I can remove plugs and tighten wheel bolts.

I based this on the 2003 tool kit. FWIW, Sears also sells a metric motorcycle kit that has most of what you need. If you can buy it on sale, it usually runs for about $35.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #9 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
They only switch off when you put it in "handlebar lock - remove key position". Try holding the radio button down for a couple of seconds.......it is not instant.

It is instant on my machine, only not this time. I always leave the radio on, and then turn off the bike into the steering lock position. The radio always switches off... Except this time...

About the toolset: I can pick one up for a few euros as well, but still, I expected something decent for a bike in this price range.
post #10 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:05 pm

At least you get a tool kit (albeit a sparse one). I'm not sure if you get anything when you buy a Harley (at least a few years ago, you might get one with the ones today).

I do long for the days when a decent tool kit came with the bike. I remember pulling the transmission and changing a throwout bearing on my 1973 R75/5 in my apartment living room only using what came in the tool kit. Boy, those where the good old days!!!
post #11 of 18 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:30 pm

[QUOTE=SurfMan]It is instant on my machine, only not this time. I always leave the radio on, and then turn off the bike into the steering lock position. The radio always switches off... Except this time...

You are right, mine is instant too. I went out to the bike at work to check and sure enough - instant off......it is on that takes a few seconds.

I think that you'll just to have to keep riding....that's what I'd do.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #12 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:19 am

My radio did that twice.
Both times it happened was when I switched ignition off with radio still on.
I could only fix it by turning ignition on, hit radio on, hit radio off, turn ignition off.
Never happened when I switch radio/CD off before switching ignition off.(so far)

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:32 am

44,445.76 US dollars for a LT??

WOW !!!!!

Enjoy your new bike

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #14 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:59 am

Well, maybe I am doing a bad thing. My radio will shut off but when I pull into the garage, I turn the key to off and then just a little more like I am going to lock the handlebars, except the front wheel is still straight. The music stops but the key will not come out. I leave it that way at the house. If I go somewhere, depending on where I am, I either turn the key to Off and turn the radio off or turn the handlebars and lock then to remove the key.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
44,445.76 US dollars for a LT??

WOW !!!!!

Enjoy your new bike

This is The Netherlands. Half of the money goes to our government to pay the salary of parliament members to make weird movies.... That's the way it works.

You'll be screaming if I tell you we pay 1.50 euro per liter for gas. Which boils down to 6.75 euros per gallon (4.5 liter), which would be 10.60 US Dollar per gallon at the current rate
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Well, maybe I am doing a bad thing. My radio will shut off but when I pull into the garage, I turn the key to off and then just a little more like I am going to lock the handlebars, except the front wheel is still straight. The music stops but the key will not come out. I leave it that way at the house. If I go somewhere, depending on where I am, I either turn the key to Off and turn the radio off or turn the handlebars and lock then to remove the key.
I do the same when I park at home as it also shuts off the radar detector and GPS.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #17 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I do the same when I park at home as it also shuts off the radar detector and GPS.
So Gilles, did you ever get that door lock fixed on your garage?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab1967
I have a 99 LT that does the same thing. I have to bang on the stingray to get the radio to turn off. Pressing the off button doesn't do it. This doesn't happen all the time and there is no noticeable pattern, as in it does it after it's been washed. the only thing I could think of is something is sticking in the stingray. I've taken the stingray off and cleaned all the contact but no change noted.
Most '99 and a few early '00 LTs had radios with a firmware problem that would drain the battery because the radio would not shut off. There was an upgrade Technical Service Bulletin, and radios were swapped out by dealers, the faulty ones sent back for re-programming, then these were used to swap out others.

Probably can not get a dealer swap now since it has been so long. See if you can find a dealer that can pull up the old TSB. There was a way by pushing the buttons in a certain order to get the firmware level on screen. The TSB gave the problematic and upgraded firmware levels to look for.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in