Another new LT owner / rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Another new LT owner / rider

Hello fellow LT owners. I finally got it. I've been looking for a good used LT for quite sometime. It's hard to find what you want when your on a budget.

I did find a good used 2000 LT on the east coast and drove it back to Kansas City in a day and 1/2. ouch.

I learned a lot about the machine and was very pleased overall with the bike considering the "just get it home" nature of the ride. I do have some questions for the experienced from the inexperienced.

First off what is the best cure for the stock seat? Very uncomfortable for the long haul. I'm 5'9" and about 165. 32" inseam. Is Corbin the only mfg that makes a good aftermarket seat?

Second, is there anyway to put hiway pegs on the LT without ruining the looks?

Third, the bike was dropped on the right side and it scuffed up the plastic guards on the lower faring. Sorry I don't know the exact name for the part but I do need to get it replaced. What is the best internet source for this and other OEM K1200LT parts?

Thanks! John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:34 am
BMW Guru

Re: Another new LT owner / rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payneman
Hello fellow LT owners. I finally got it. I've been looking for a good used LT for quite sometime. It's hard to find what you want when your on a budget.

I did find a good used 2000 LT on the east coast and drove it back to Kansas City in a day and 1/2. ouch.

I learned a lot about the machine and was very pleased overall with the bike considering the "just get it home" nature of the ride. I do have some questions for the experienced from the inexperienced.

First off what is the best cure for the stock seat? Very uncomfortable for the long haul. I'm 5'9" and about 165. 32" inseam. Is Corbin the only mfg that makes a good aftermarket seat?

Third, the bike was dropped on the right side and it scuffed up the plastic guards on the lower faring. Sorry I don't know the exact name for the part but I do need to get it replaced. What is the best internet source for this and other OEM K1200LT parts?

Thanks! John
There are a few good custome seat makers out there like the Rick Mayer or his brother Rocky. Ride in appointments are best, but you would have to take a ride to California. Good excuse for a trip I guess.

The J-Pegs are great hiway pegs and fold away unseen when not in use.
www.motogear4you.com

The cover for the tip over wing is available at any BMW Dealer. On line at Bob's or A&S.

Welcome to the club

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:34 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

John welcome and congratulations on your new toy
Quote:

Seach the site and you will find as much if not more information about the whole seat and nothing but the seat. I am for sure in the minority and find the stock seat just fine.

Once again search the site and also check out the vendors.

I would wait to replace the wings because it may happen again Thanks! John

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:52 am

I have found that on the last three BMW's That I have owned that the Sheepskin helps as much as an $$$ custom seat. It does add to the height though.
http://www.alaskaleather.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:32 pm

Thumbs up Re: Another new LT owner / rider

John,

Welcome to the LT crowd.

Odd that you are from Blue Springs as that is where I found my used '03 LT. It was on the HD lot there.

We might cross paths one of these days as I frequent Engles pretty regular just to make sure they know me. LOL
In fact I expect I'll ride down one day next week. (100 miles or so). As I want them to check my FD oil. The oil was as black as coal when I changed it the first 3000 miles after a rebuild. Now 1500 miles later I want them to have a look see.

By the way, I find my OEM seat to fit my butt OK. If I had a little longer inseam, I'd use the afore mentioned sheepskin!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Hi Vern,

I wish I would have found mine in K.C.! I'm going to Engal's for an inspection on Saturday and to pick up a few parts for the LT. I rented an Ultra at Gails HD for a 4 day weekend and just didn't like the bike. I always wanted a Harley until I rode one!

I had two Gold Wings (for touring) prior to the LT and the Harley just shook my wife and too much. I admit the foot boards and the 6th gear was nice on the Ultra.

I know right where King City is. I used to have property in St. Joe. Take care and keep in touch!

John
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 5:16 pm

Quote:

Thanks! John
At the risk of starting another flame throwing nightmare, I'd recommend a custom seat from Rick Mayer.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16160

There may be others that would take issue, but I like what he's done on my '06 and so does my tail gunner.

re: hiway pegs

What Ted said... the J-pegs XL are great. I had no trouble installing them and the group I ride with wouldn't recognize me if I didn't have a foot in the stirrup on a ride. Take your time, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and it all comes out great. If you have a Dremel tool, you're in the pink.

As to the damage??? Find a good airbrush artist, have him smooth it down and then get yer mom's name put on the bag.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the good advice!
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks gglove. I'm sure I'll get a lot of good information here.
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:43 am

Thumbs up Re: Another new LT owner / rider

Quote:
Hi Vern,

I wish I would have found mine in K.C.! I'm going to Engal's for an inspection on Saturday and to pick up a few parts for the LT. I rented an Ultra at Gails HD for a 4 day weekend and just didn't like the bike. I always wanted a Harley until I rode one!

I had two Gold Wings (for touring) prior to the LT and the Harley just shook my wife and too much. I admit the foot boards and the 6th gear was nice on the Ultra.

I know right where King City is. I used to have property in St. Joe. Take care and keep in touch!

John
Hey John,
If saturday is a good riding day, I might just show up at Engles too.

Be safe!

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:54 am

Welcome to the asylum!

An option to the J-pegs, try the Highway Ottomans, can be found on this site in Vendors. I had both and did not use the J-pegs, so I removed the pegs and use the Ottomans. You can check with Tony at LTPARTS.com, also a vendor here, if he has any available.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 12 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 2:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've also found the Highway Ottomans to be quite comfortable on the LT. Too bad they don't fit my new bike.

Guess I should just put them in the Classifieds forum so someone else can enjoy them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in