Trading Up to an 08 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Trading Up to an 08

I am considering trading my 03 LT for an 08. Are there any isignificant changes (other than center stand and a few more horses)? Is there still a brown wire (hesitation issue). Does it handle any differently, brakes different, etc.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:06 am

Re: Trading Up to an 08

There are some changes but to really see you would need to go test ride the '08 and feel for yourself....Personally I think you would see enough difference to drive the '08 home ..........Pete
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:30 am

The differences between the older models (99-04) and the newer ones (05+) are :

*15 more hp , all in the upper powerband

*second light below the main light - still insufficient

*all new instrumentation / computer info screen - looks much nicer IMHO

*Electro hydraulic stand - nice gettin bike up but gives up a bit of clearance

*slight different front end specs for more slow speed stability - hard to notice

*Riders' seat softer and slightly thinner near tank - most think older one is better

The power, instrumentation looks, and centerstand are all nice to have but honestly the older models feel just about the same to me . You really dont use that upper rpm power most of time, I am a big guy so hoisting the bike onto the centerstand has never been a problem, I like the old seat better .

If you are looking for big differences , IMHO its not worth it. If I was looking to get my first LT , I would try to get a newer one if it was in my budget but if not , the older models are plenty good......I just wish mine were either Canyon red or Pacific Blue, love those colors the best.

Not sure about the hessitation issue on newer models.....the two I road (newer models- only put on a few hundred miles total) didnt have it and my 02 definitely does have it .

Of the older models , the earlier ones had the Brembo brakes (pre 02) . The servo assisted power brakes are quite grabby unfortunately but very powerful (as you know I am sure).

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the input. I really do like my '03 and even though it is out of warrantee, maybe I'll just put on some new shocks and ride it 'til the wheels fall off.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Thanks a lot for the input. I really do like my '03 and even though it is out of warrantee, maybe I'll just put on some new shocks and ride it 'til the wheels fall off.
Probably the best way to go......add a few new items like GPS, lights, highway pegs , intercom, whatever you want , so she feels a bit refreshed....then.....ride the wheels off her! Enjoy.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in