Dead Battery 02 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Dead Battery 02 LT

Hi Everyone,
Hope you are all well in LT land.
I moved to Lake Tahoe and put both bikes (GS and LT) on battery tenders for the winter. I dug through the snow the other day and started the GS but the LT is dead, totally dead. I even bought one of those new square, grey, special tenders from BMW.

Do we know why this happens? It was about 3-4months. Both lights were on the tender a green one and a red one, both solid.

Next question - Can I jumpstart the LT from my GS? Can I do this from the accessory socket?

Look forward to hearing from the experts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:13 pm

Re: Dead Battery 02 LT

I am color blind but only one is lit when fully charged. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:15 pm

you can jump start from a car battery, just make sure the car is NOT running

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:58 pm

If the battery on your 02 was the original one it is time to replace it as it has lived its useful life.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:30 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Dead Battery 02 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggangi
Both lights were on the tender a green one and a red one, both solid.
Next question - Can I jumpstart the LT from my GS? Can I do this from the accessory socket?
Not sure which type of battery / charger you have ? If it's a gell type (OEM) and charger, when initially switched on you get all LED's as a sort of unit self test. When finished and connected, a green light for the unit with a red for the battery.(1/3) As the battery charges it goes to amber (2/3) then green (3/3). ie when fully charged 2 green lights.
No. don't try to start from the socket, not rated for the load. Use the battery terminals as per a car.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:48 pm

My LT would not start Saturday while on the Coronado Trail in AZ. Corroded terminal on the + side of the battery. Cleaned all the terminals, every thing OK!
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:04 pm

What type of battery do you have? If you have one of the BMW Gel type batteries, they are great. I've had one for a few years now and have run it all the way down a few times due to leaving on a radar detector or something else. I tried to recharge it with the BMW charger but it does not work if it is completely dead. I've used my trusty Sears charger on 12V 2A for about 20 minutes or so and then put on the BMW charger and it has brought it back to life. Great batteries.
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 9:28 am

Garage

My advice:

If your battery is dead, and won't recharge, don't jump it.

When my '02 battery was dying, its last act of defiance before going totally dead was to weld the starter solenoid contacts together. I put the new battery in, and the starter engaged 'by itself' and would not stop. A trip to the shop for a replacement solenoid was solved that problem.

If your battery is dead, get a new one, install it and then charge the new battery before you try to start it.

Good luck
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 9:37 am

That sounds like the problem BMW used to have with the early LTs. I bought a 99 when they first came out with the K12LT and I had that happen a couple times. Apparently, if the battery voltage was too low, the starter would pull increased current through the solenoid, welding it together. BMW came up with a fix for that, though how they solved the problem, I am not sure. I had to fight with them at first to get it fixed, with of course BMW, as they always do, denying that there was a problem. My 02 has never had that problem, so I'm surprised that you encountered what you did.
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggangi
Hi Everyone,

Do we know why this happens? It was about 3-4months. Both lights were on the tender a green one and a red one, both solid.
If your battery tender is like mine, if you had both lights on solid from the day you plugged it in, the battery wasn't being charged. I believe mine is solid green when charged, and flashing green when taking a charge from the tender. This could be because the battery had already fallen in charge to the point where the battery tender won't charge it as they're not intended to recharge a battery that's quite low. I'd suggest you buy/borrow/steal a battery charger with a two volt setting and hook it up for several hours.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 2:11 pm

Garage

As to your question, I'm not sure if the GS will have enough juice to jump your LT.

In the pass, I've used the portable jumper packs from Sears and even my pickup truck for jumps.

No Worries!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:20 am

Sounds like your Battery Tender died. Happened to mine, I just sent it back to deltran and they fixed it for a nominal charge. Battery Tender Plus should work like this; plug into bike and power = both lights on, green light goes out red light stays on = charging; red light out, green light flashing = 80% charged; green light on solid, red light out =100% charged. Both red and green lights flashing = unit is hooked up wrong.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #13 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Sounds like your Battery Tender died. Happened to mine, I just sent it back to deltran and they fixed it for a nominal charge. Battery Tender Plus should work like this; plug into bike and power = both lights on, green light goes out red light stays on = charging; red light out, green light flashing = 80% charged; green light on solid, red light out =100% charged. Both red and green lights flashing = unit is hooked up wrong.
My tender also gets funky if I don't plug into outlet AFTER connecting to bike battery.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in