Where to buy shims...valve adjustments - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Where to buy shims...valve adjustments

I'll be doing a 24k service later this summer and am doing some logistics ahead of time. Got a 12k kit from beemerboneyard and feel fairly confident about getting the service done over a weekend.

A thought/concern I had was if I needed to shim a valve, where would I get a shim from? Can you order them online? If the bike needs to be down for a few days until one arrives in the mail that is doable. But I would like to have a plan in place, rather than start a call tree on a weekend trying to hunt some down.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:03 am

Re: Where to buy shims...valve adjustments

More commonly known as 'buckets' on the LT. They are available from your dealer or on line. The issue will be you need to check your clearance and pull the bucket to see what size it is before ordering replacement(s). Some dealers offer a swap out service where they take your old one and give you or sell at a reduced price a bucket removed from another bike. Search for valve adjustment and you will find lots of info.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
More commonly known as 'buckets' on the LT. They are available from your dealer or on line. The issue will be you need to check your clearance and pull the bucket to see what size it is before ordering replacement(s). Some dealers offer a swap out service where they take your old one and give you or sell at a reduced price a bucket removed from another bike. Search for valve adjustment and you will find lots of info.
doing your homework ahead of time makes sense. Some dealerships, Carolina BMW, claimed that they no longer stocked them when I tried to buy them at the counter, they were happy to order them for me. Frankly I think it is to discourage DIY I simply can't imagine a dealership of that size not stocking a routine maintenance part.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
doing your homework ahead of time makes sense. Some dealerships, Carolina BMW, claimed that they no longer stocked them when I tried to buy them at the counter, they were happy to order them for me. Frankly I think it is to discourage DIY I simply can't imagine a dealership of that size not stocking a routine maintenance part.
Wow, sounds like a dealer that wants to correce you into paying them for an expensive 12K service. My dealer (Irv Seavers in Orange, Ca) is very helpful with buckets but I still find it helpful to keep records of what buckets are currently in the bike. By knowing what buckets you have you can check your clearance, do the math to fiqure out what you need and pick them up before you pull the cam(s). Very helpful if the dealer is closed on your chosen project day, a long way away, or has to order the parts. Beats having your bike torn apart for days on end.
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 3:47 pm

My dealer's counter people don't know what a shim or bucket is. They call them cam followers. Until you do the valve check and pull the cams you won't know what size to purchase. Good luck in finding what you need without having to order them.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #6 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:19 pm
Hog

When I re-shimed my Honda I took the old Shim's and they exchanged them for the correct ones.(free)Some dealers will do that and some won't. You can call some of your local Motorcycle shop's. Seem's like they were like $6.00 apiece. I hope this help's Dave
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:20 pm

I replaced 7 buckets at my 48k service with the next thinner bucket. I ordered them from Max BMW's online parts fiche.

Some of us have spares sitting around after doing this, so you might find someone (me included) willing to help you out when you find what sizes you need.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
My dealer's counter people don't know what a shim or bucket is. They call them cam followers. Until you do the valve check and pull the cams you won't know what size to purchase. Good luck in finding what you need without having to order them.
Actually, doing the valve check does not entail pulling the cams (just did a 48k and no bucket changes so far) so unless you are in need of unnecessary pain, you won't know what you have until the first time you find one that needs to be replaced. I'm working on a 'tool' that will do the calculations for me based on what size buckets need replaced and by how much. But I need to know how the buckets are sized (the readings on the buckets and the (spacing?) between sizes. Any help would be appreciated and I'll share the 'tool' when it's finished. (A friend developed ShimCalc for KLRs, works very nicely, I'm doing the same for the LT)

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Cam follower sizes

McRuss, 2.50mm to 3.20mm incrementedd by 0.05

'03 Silver LT
'05 Silver F650GS (Wife)
'08 Red R12GS
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
I'll be doing a 24k service later this summer and am doing some logistics ahead of time. Got a 12k kit from beemerboneyard and feel fairly confident about getting the service done over a weekend.

A thought/concern I had was if I needed to shim a valve, where would I get a shim from? Can you order them online? If the bike needs to be down for a few days until one arrives in the mail that is doable. But I would like to have a plan in place, rather than start a call tree on a weekend trying to hunt some down.

Cheers,
Adam, PM me your address and I will send you a pack of 18 buckets I have accumulated. Mail them back after your tech session.

Dan Martin
Houston,tx
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 9:25 am

Talking Re: Where to buy shims...valve adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Adam, PM me your address and I will send you a pack of 18 buckets I have accumulated. Mail them back after your tech session.

Dan Martin
Houston,tx
What a nice thing to do Dan!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
What a nice thing to do Dan!
+1
Dan is just an all right guy!

And thanks, Jeff, you are ok too!

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
Actually, doing the valve check does not entail pulling the cams (just did a 48k and no bucket changes so far) so unless you are in need of unnecessary pain, you won't know what you have until the first time you find one that needs to be replaced. I'm working on a 'tool' that will do the calculations for me based on what size buckets need replaced and by how much. But I need to know how the buckets are sized (the readings on the buckets and the (spacing?) between sizes. Any help would be appreciated and I'll share the 'tool' when it's finished. (A friend developed ShimCalc for KLRs, works very nicely, I'm doing the same for the LT)
As already stated, the buckets (BMW calls them cam followers, buckets is slang for them) come in 0.05mm increments, which is for all practical purposes 0.002". No need for a calculator at all. measure with inch feeler gages, and almost always you will need the next step down. Only if one is quite a bit too tight will you need to go more than one step.

I will go the second step down if it will bring the valve something less than 0.001" looser than the required clearance, as that one will not need adusting again for some time, and slightly too loose is MUCH better than slightly too tight!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in