Fuel filter replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Fuel filter replacement

I'm changing the fuel filter and need to know how to remove the retainers on the fuel lines that hold the filter. The BMW manual mentions a tool and then just talks about replacing them using pliers. Any help would be appreciated.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 4:00 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Fuel filter replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I'm changing the fuel filter and need to know how to remove the retainers on the fuel lines that hold the filter. The BMW manual mentions a tool and then just talks about replacing them using pliers. Any help would be appreciated.
I cut mine off and replaced them with standard screw type hose clamps

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 4:01 pm
ajs

If you're talking about the clamps that fit over the rubber fuel line that slips over the filter inlet and outlet, I just cut them off with side cutters and replaced them with proper sized gear clamps. The kind you tighten with a screw driver. THT

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. That's what I was planning but just wanted to see if I was missing something.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks guys. That's what I was planning but just wanted to see if I was missing something.
I opened up the permanent clamp with a screwdriver. Side the appropriately sized head of a screwdriver into the clamp crimp and pry it apart. The crimp is the notched out portion of the clamp. It can be pry'd open from the inside to make the clamp have a larger diameter. Man, I don't think I 'm explaining this well at all. But the clamp can be made to spread apart and slide off the end of the hose.

HTH
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Last edited by jers99lt; Mar 30th, 2008 at 7:32 pm. Reason: slide
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I opened up the permanent clamp with a screwdriver. Side the appropriately sized head of a screwdriver into the clamp crimp and pry it apart. The crimp is the notched out portion of the clamp. It can be pry'd open from the inside to make the clamp have a larger diameter. Man, I don't think I 'm explaining this well at all. But the clamp can be made to spread apart and slide off the end of the hose.

HTH
Jer
Yup, I reused my OEM clamps up until the 60K service when I replaced them with worm clamps. I'd just spread them open a little as described by Jer above, and then would crimp them back after the new filter was installed. Never a problem. I just thought after several cycles the metal might have started to fatigue.
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:28 pm

I would recommend using clamps designated for use on fuel injection systems - rather than ordinary screw clamps. They dont cut into the hose like screw clamps and are designed to hold the hose on with high pressure inside.
Thats what I used when I replaced my stock quick connects with metal ones.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:46 am

OK shame on me, I bought my LT with 11K on it, I know have 43 and have never changed the fuel filter(or air filter for that matter). I have never had the fuel tank out. So my question is, when I DO pull that tank, is it possible to install a remote filter? Is it possible to just add hose and move it to a more accessible location?

I'm getting around to it...

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHeadake
OK shame on me, I bought my LT with 11K on it, I know have 43 and have never changed the fuel filter(or air filter for that matter). I have never had the fuel tank out. So my question is, when I DO pull that tank, is it possible to install a remote filter? Is it possible to just add hose and move it to a more accessible location?

I'm getting around to it...
There are pros and cons about relocating the fuel line. Read all about it here
I decided against it for safty and there's always something else you can take care of once the tupperware is off. I added QD's from smallparts.com to make it easier next time.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I added QD's from smallparts.com to make it easier next time.
HTH, Jer
What's a "QD"?

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
What's a "QD"?
Quick Disconnects. Smallparts.com are metal with shutoffs on male and female ends. Needed 2 pairs for the upgrade since my '99 didn't have them at all.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #12 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 1:02 pm

I would replace the quick connects. When I did my first filter replacement they looked good. About 12,000 miles later out on the road one of mind started leaking with no warning.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #13 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 3:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing
I would recommend using clamps designated for use on fuel injection systems - rather than ordinary screw clamps. They dont cut into the hose like screw clamps and are designed to hold the hose on with high pressure inside.
Agreed. If you're gonna bother changing them, just get the good clamps and be done with it.

I replaced the fuel filter on my LT at a friend's house and re-used the old clamps. On the ride home I had a fuel hose slip off and the bike simply died. I had to trailer it home and pull the gas tank again, after I had filled it up. I should have just done it right the first time.

Also, replacing the plastic quick disconnects with the metal ones is a good idea, at least from a safety standpoint. Just be careful putting them in and out that you don't damage the o-ring seal and they'll last the life of the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Where do you find clamps designated for fuel lines?

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 4:53 am

Quote:
When I purchased my fuel filter from my dealer, they provided the clamps. Now if they are the correct ones or not is another question.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #16 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 8:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I purchased mine from an auto parts store in the neighborhood. After BMW service was asking $4 per, I bought 2 (supported my local dealer) and decided to look elsewhere since I needed 4 more of them for my QD install. Those were less than half the price and were identical to the ones with a BMW part number.
The thing to look for in fuel line clamps are the curled up edges, such that flex at the end of the clamp does not bite into the hose.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in