New Clutch Time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 5:49 am Thread Starter

New Clutch Time

Just got my 07 back from my dealer with a new clutch courtesy of BMW. Brought it in last week with 9500 miles for its scheduled annual service and tires. I told them it felt like the clutch was slipping when I rolled on the throttle in 4th or 5th.

They gave it a test ride and confirmed slippage and found some oil seepage underneath. The service manager warned me though that the warranty would only cover it if it was contaminated. If there was no contaminates in the housing and the clutch was worn out then it would be user caused.

They called me the next day with the "good news". Slave cylinder seal had leaked all over and clutch was ruined. While they were in there they replaced all the other seals. It must have been going bad for while and I didn't notice the degradation. There is a noticable improvement in performance with the new clutch. I am surprised that it failed after only one year and 9500 miles. My guess is it was bad from the factory and probably seeping from day one.

All in all I am very happy with the response from my dealer and BMW. Now hopefully I am all set for the rest of the season.

The other fun thing was they gave me an F650GS as a loaner. What a fun little toy after a year on an LT. At 375lbs I felt like I could pick it up like a bicycle and turn it around. After riding that for a week I had ease back onto the big girl.

Bruce Buchner

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:36 am

Re: New Clutch Time

Slave cylinder failure is a VERY common problem with these bikes. Very many of us have drilled a drain hole in the transmission boss where the slave cylinder mounts to prevent future failures from conatminating the clutch. Many posts here through the years, some with pictures explaining the procedure. I was the first to do it and post about it when my slave failed the second time. SOME enlightened dealers have drilled the hole when asked, seeing the soundness of the idea. Others however will parrot the "Not a BMW approved procedure" and refuse to do so.

You can search for "slave drain hole", or "weep hole" to find posts related to this.

I do not like the "weep hole" designation, as a weep hole is typically a very small hole to take care of very small leaks. When the slave fails, a LOT of fluid can be pumped out very quickly and would overcome a small hole and still be pumped into the clutch area. We typically use a 5/32" to 3/16" hole in the bottom of the slave mounting boss on the transmission.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:01 am

Re: New Clutch Time

The thing that the weep hole tells you is get ready to pull the trans.

DON

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:31 am

Thumbs up Re: New Clutch Time

I posted this a few weeks ago.
"Since this is such a recent post on clutch/tranny problems, I thought that I would ask for some analysis of my symptoms as I have not seen them mentioned anywhere. I have a 99 with 58K miles. Clutch/tranny have never had problems. I have faithfully changed my tranny fluid with Mobil One gear oil since I got bike at 20K miles in 2004. I have no leaks. I have some metal chips at the magnetic drain plug. Here's my problem: I can shift up from first through 5th just fine. When I downshifting, the pedal is "down too far". So if I put my foot under the pedal and nudge it a little (still staying in that gear) then I can downshift into the next lower gear. Typically happens at 3rd and 2nd. Any idea guys?"
The suggestion given was to start with my shift linkage. I have given it a thorough cleaning, lubrication (and replacement of a few parts). I am still experiencing the same problem. Occasionally, it is on the upshift that I need to nudge the lever downward in order to position it correctly for the upshift. Am I looking at a clutch or tranny replacement/rebuild?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in