Finally got the baby home... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Finally got the baby home...

Just picked up my '06 and had to ride about 230 miles to get it home in 34F temp. Had the grips and heat heaters on which are worth their weight along with raising the windshield to block wind noise and cold winds, not to mentioned tuning in the popular radio stations along the way.

I am already wondering how to properly adjust the mirrors since the spacing does not seem right and I see a tether has been added.

Amazing bike...

Mauro

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Re: Finally got the baby home...

Well done!! Glad to hear you made it and look forward to meeting up with soon. We have a cottage in Pt Bruce so are your area often.

Geoff

PS - great day for a ride here in S Ont despite the temps
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Hi
I had the same issues on my 05 as far as the spacing on the mirrors. Very easy fix. BMW does or did have washers taped on the mirror assembly when you pop the mirror assembly off. If not there just buy a couple and either remove the ones there or add ones where you need them. The washers will be taken from or added to the 3 ball screws that the mirrors clamp down to.
Just place them unit the spacing matches on both. Remember you need about 1/8 spacing left between the bike and the mirror assembly so when you hit a bump they do not pop off.

Congrats on the 1200 and welcome. Hope you have many happy fun filled miles.

post #4 of 23 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:25 pm

Mauro,

See if you can get the moderators to change your username from mr1150gs to Mr Winnebago. Ouch! At least I've got someplace to put that case of beer now.

Remember to check if you can switch the fuel economy units on the LCD display from MPG (US) to either MPG (IMP) or L/100KM. Maybe someone on here knows how.

Talk to you tomorrow.
post #5 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantvol16
Well done!! Glad to hear you made it and look forward to meeting up with soon. We have a cottage in Pt Bruce so are your area often.

Geoff

PS - great day for a ride here in S Ont despite the temps
Hey Geoff,

By all means, love to meet up! send me a PM and stop in for a bite and conversation.

Mauro

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #6 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
Hi
I had the same issues on my 05 as far as the spacing on the mirrors. Very easy fix. BMW does or did have washers taped on the mirror assembly when you pop the mirror assembly off. If not there just buy a couple and either remove the ones there or add ones where you need them. The washers will be taken from or added to the 3 ball screws that the mirrors clamp down to.
Just place them unit the spacing matches on both. Remember you need about 1/8 spacing left between the bike and the mirror assembly so when you hit a bump they do not pop off.

Congrats on the 1200 and welcome. Hope you have many happy fun filled miles.
Thnx for your input Alex,

Found the spacers of which there were two for the three posts taped to each mirror. It appears that someone has fooled with this before as I do not believe that the teathers are standard issue. Anyway, I am still fidling with it since it seems that the mirrors will come off with the slightest nudge.

Regards...

Mauro

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #7 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 5:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGS
Mauro,

See if you can get the moderators to change your username from mr1150gs to Mr Winnebago. Ouch! At least I've got someplace to put that case of beer now.

Remember to check if you can switch the fuel economy units on the LCD display from MPG (US) to either MPG (IMP) or L/100KM. Maybe someone on here knows how.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Winnebago comfort and protection and room for all the beer you can drink anytime...

Mauro

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #8 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs
I do not believe that the teathers are standard issue.
Mirror tethers were available from numerous suppliers. Whether BMW finally decided to install them as OEM, I don't know.

Do they look like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs
It seems that the mirrors will come off with the slightest nudge.
And thats why they came out with tethers.
post #9 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:03 am

my '08 came with the mirror tethers already attached...
just fyi

Joe Dumas (Basic Member)
-from the shores of Lake Michigan
BMW MOA# -expired

2011 Triumph Speed Triple
2008 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Sold)
2004 Triumph Bonneville
1999 Triumph Adventurer
1978 Yamaha XS650E
post #10 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 1:10 pm

2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (for sale)

Hey what do mean, "for sale"?

That bike is going to Europe next year, isn't it.
post #11 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:04 am

Hi Mauro and BMWGS

I noticed your comments about setting the LCD to Metric from the US version of imperial measure. I am sorry to burst you bubble or add bad news. I own a 2000 K1200LT and am/was in the same position. Over the winter through much searching I found out that the only fix for me was to replace the On board computer ( the LCD you are referring to)

Lucky for you the source of my information was through Wolf BMW in London Ontario. The bad news is it is a BMW so bring lots of money. $663 plus tax for the parts and then the labour to install.

I am still debating whether I should ignore the information it provides, because I am unwilling to do all the conversions in my head while traveling or bit the bullet and change it out.

Are you riding in the snow? I hear it is still winter in Ontario, at least in Ottawa as per this afternoon.
post #12 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by va7alb
Hi Mauro and BMWGS

I noticed your comments about setting the LCD to Metric from the US version of imperial measure. Through much searching I found out that the only fix for me was to replace the On board computer (the LCD you are referring to).
I take it you haven't opened it up.

I wonder if it is a programmable chip or something as easy as moving a jumper position.

All I've found on the on-line parts catalogs is a part number for the whole instrument cluster. No mention of an on-board computer (display) could be found.

I'll check on pricing when I'm in Germany later this summer.
post #13 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 5:57 pm

I recently bought a 04 LT that was originally an American bike and everything is in Imperial. I guess I never thought about switching to metric as I am "old school" and still think in Imperial. The only thing that is a bit confusing is the speedometer, sometimes I have to think if I am doing 50 MPH or 50 KPH as the bike doesn't really feel like I am doing 50 MPH, wonder what will happen when I get my first speeding ticket? Confusing speedometer excuse? Maybe it will hold up and/or get me out of a ticket in court. Other than that, I prefer everything to be in Imperial, mileage, gallons, etc., not a problem, just that initial glance on speedometer to see how fast I am going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2wheeljunkie; Mar 31st, 2008 at 6:02 pm.
post #14 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver
I recently bought a 04 LT that was originally an American bike and everything is in Imperial.
It may be non-metric but I doubt it reads MPG in Imperial gallons...more like US gallons.
post #15 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by va7alb
Hi Mauro and BMWGS

I noticed your comments about setting the LCD to Metric from the US version of imperial measure. I am sorry to burst you bubble or add bad news. I own a 2000 K1200LT and am/was in the same position. Over the winter through much searching I found out that the only fix for me was to replace the On board computer ( the LCD you are referring to)

Lucky for you the source of my information was through Wolf BMW in London Ontario. The bad news is it is a BMW so bring lots of money. $663 plus tax for the parts and then the labour to install.

I am still debating whether I should ignore the information it provides, because I am unwilling to do all the conversions in my head while traveling or bit the bullet and change it out.

Are you riding in the snow? I hear it is still winter in Ontario, at least in Ottawa as per this afternoon.
Hello va,

I hear you regarding the conversion. I would just use a GPS for the readings.

No snow, here. I am in Southern ON where it is +13 now.

Regards...
Mauro

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #16 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I recently bought a 04 LT that was originally an American bike and everything is in Imperial. I guess I never thought about switching to metric as I am "old school" and still think in Imperial. The only thing that is a bit confusing is the speedometer, sometimes I have to think if I am doing 50 MPH or 50 KPH as the bike doesn't really feel like I am doing 50 MPH, wonder what will happen when I get my first speeding ticket? Confusing speedometer excuse? Maybe it will hold up and/or get me out of a ticket in court. Other than that, I prefer everything to be in Imperial, mileage, gallons, etc., not a problem, just that initial glance on speedometer to see how fast I am going.

+1 I hear you...

Mauro

BMWMOA - #47511
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #17 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGS
It may be non-metric but I doubt it reads MPG in Imperial gallons...more like US gallons.
I guess you are right for the gallons, so confusing, metric, imperial, U.S., although I think a mile is still a mile, imperial or U.S. I will have to check the computer when I get the bike out of storage, I don't know how MPG is calculated on this, but would expect it is in U.S. gal. I was wondering why my mileage was so small when I looked at the on board computer. Thanks for the heads up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 4:08 am

OK, New Bike, New Name.

Thanx to all that replied to mr1150gs...

Mauro

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #19 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:08 am

Hi to all

To answer a few of the comments regarding my last post here goes.

First, Have I opened up the computer? No. I have just enough knowledge to know that it is only a chip to either replace or to rewire ( Jumpers etc.) I don't have the background or electronic resources to analyze the chip and fix or replace.

Apparently, from the information I received from Wolf BMW, it is not to their service manuals programmable.

Another, solution would be to open up two and see the differences. However, that takes a friend who will let you possibly destroy his computer as well as yours. I haven't even looked at it to see what is involved in getting into it. Ie how to you take the case apart without breaking it.

Second. If you can find something in Germany please let me know. I have a call into a site in England that claims to be associated with a number of Used parts stores however I have had no response yet and that has been a week. Not looking promising.

Third. I know the feeling about MPH & KPH on the bike. On my first test ride I am casually going down the street in a 40K zone and wondering why I am catching up to traffic so quickly. Thankfully I didn't catch up to a cop.
I can see my using the cruise control. It has saved me several tickets in the car and I can feel the speed there much more than on the bike.

Finally, as for the snow, I guess "Lots of snow" to my daughter is less than I thought.

Good riding

Al
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:39 pm

Quote:
I don't know how MPG is calculated on this, but would expect it is in U.S. gal. I was wondering why my mileage was so small when I looked at the on board computer. Thanks for the heads up.
Just multiply your display reading by 1.2 to get your MPG in Imperial.
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 3:38 pm

Mauro, I will definitely shoot you a PM whne we get some decent riding weather - thanks for reply!

On the computer question, my advice - buy another one - in GPS format - and set it to metric. That way you have all the metric speed info you need and no messing with the innards of the BC. Plus you will get all the cool maps and stuff.

I have both the Garmin 2820 and the BMW Nav II (not mounted at the same time!; this is a longer story) and find them easy to use and very reliable.

See ya soon

Geoff
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantvol16
Mauro, I will definitely shoot you a PM whne we get some decent riding weather - thanks for reply!

On the computer question, my advice - buy another one - in GPS format - and set it to metric. That way you have all the metric speed info you need and no messing with the innards of the BC. Plus you will get all the cool maps and stuff.

I have both the Garmin 2820 and the BMW Nav II (not mounted at the same time!; this is a longer story) and find them easy to use and very reliable.

See ya soon

Geoff
Geoff,

I like how we think alike, picked up a 2720 on Ebay and waiting for it to arrive. I will have to get used to how it operates (never owned a GPS) but I understand I can let it show me speed in kph and distance in kms. All this at half the price of a new BMW instrument panel. The bike came with the BMW cradle so the 2720 should be the right fit provided the ebay description holds true.

Looks like I picked just the right day to get the baby home as it has been rather miserable ever since.

Regards...

Mauro

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 7:18 pm

Anyone know how high the center stand is supposed to retract while riding? It seems to hang low to me and do not know if it requires servicing.

Also, what I noticed riding home is that the seat is just wide enough to make your short seams rub against your bum cheeks as you manouver your leg up and down. Blisters have developed in the area you do not want me to esplain. I know there are issues with the seat comfort but I have none of this with the GS OEM seat. Makes me wonder why I do not wear boxers.

Mauro

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in