Top Ten Reasons K1200LT Is Better Than GL1800 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Top Ten Reasons K1200LT Is Better Than GL1800

10) You can impress people with techie lingo:
"Oh, yeah, I've got FRS with PTT that's compatible with the CIA provided the GPS is grounded to a 15-pin DIN which feeds through a 15 megaherz dynamic TPS."
Or something like that ...

9) Can you imagine a yellow LT?

8) Only 4 wretched plugs to replace, saving precious garage time for cold adult beverages.

7) Proud German heritage of beer, sausage and the rugged Alps as opposed to sickening, smelly raw fish, weak tea and stupid typhoons.

6) Rear view of LT does not resemble fornicating Pontiac Grand Ams like some bike we could mention

5) GL1800 Windscreen adjustment:
a) Pull off road
b) Remove saber saw, air wrench, cutting torch, 17 mm wrench, level, Phillips screwdriver, studfinder, impact driver, Torx wrench and duct tape from tool kit.
c) Remove fairing mask
d) Adjust windscreen to best of ability
e) Apply duct tape and Loctite
f) Replace fairing mask
g) Contact authorized Honda dealer

BMW K1200LT windscreen adjustment:
A) Push button

4) Two words: "Warm buns"

3) Other fine BMW products: 3-, 5-, 7-Series automobiles universally accepted as Best In Class by world-famous automobile magazines

Other fine Honda products: Lawn mowers

2) Gold Wing handling tuned for parking lot of Bob's Big Boy
BMW K1200LT's handling tuned for autobahn.

And the Number One reason to purchase a BMW K1200LT over a Honda Gold Wing ...

1) World-famous BMW cupholder

Source: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3115

Feel free to add or rewrite. There must be better choises then some of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Re: Top Ten Reasons K1200LT Is Better Than GL1800

If this were in the 'Humor' forum, I could buy it. But . . . err . . . I dunno. Here's my take on your borrowed Top 10 list...
  • 10. The Wingers like their "farkles" just as much as the average BMW LT owner. Even if they do have to have a light bar with LEDs attached to each one of them.
  • 09. Yes, I can imagine a yellow LT. In fact, I've seen more than one in person.
  • 08. Bet I can replace the 6 plugs on a GW, faster than you can replace the 4 on an LT. So you see ... more time for riding, or drinking those "adult beverages" of yours.
  • 07. I'm still waiting for an Irish-made motorcycle ... to go wit me Guinness.
  • 06. Don't know about the rear view, but the front of a GW looks like a jock strap to me.
  • 05. The LT wins the windshield debate without question. Way to go BMW~ !!!
  • 04. Warm buns? Gerbing's works on just about any bike. Heated seats are so old skool.
  • 03. Honda makes more than just fine lawn mowers. Their customer satisfaction is almost unbelievable. I can't say that about BMW's products. In fact, I still don't understand why we keep buying these things. Must be some kinda German mind-melt that they have mastered.
  • 02. If I were to ride the autobahn, it certainly would not be on an LT either. My GT would be 'OK'. More appropriately, the K1200S. zoom zoom
  • 01. The OEM cup-holder for the LT is not nothing short of an engineering masterpiece.
OK . . . I'm done.

For now.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Good answear, but a bit to suportive of the Hondas! hehe teasing.

About honda, they have now entered into the aviation marked again with their very interesting VLJ called HondaJet. And If I had money it would be either that or the exsiting Javelin, also an VLJ

http://hondajet.honda.com/gallery/in...ction=EXTERIOR

Javelin

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

We musen't forget the fine watercraft and generators as well.
Lawn mower is the best I have ever owned.

GW also screams Grandpa is that you

Germans also produce a damn fine K-9, see above

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Excellent list. I laughed out loud at #5 -- the windshield adjustment comparison. Too funny.

I can't get a Gold Wing because Lisa says they look like "an old man's motorcycle". I kind of agree; the styling is outdated at this point. Wonder what the new version will look like, whenever it arrives?

If Honda and BMW could work together on a touring bike it just might be a fabulous product. German engineering combined with Japanese quality.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 6:06 pm
Mister Moto

I have a Honda Roto-tiller I dearly love.

Does BMW make roto-tillers?

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

post #7 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 8:08 pm

I have a Honda and a BMW.
The Honda ST1100 is good for quick, short trips (3 or 4 days) the K1200lt is good for 3 weeks+ 2 up camping trips.
I have made the Honda more like the BMW in mods
Would never try to make the BMW more like a Goldwong though!
I have taken the K1200lt on an autobauhn - it was not fun. Topped out at 99mph (GPS reading) and the cars were passing at 140+. I like to be the fastest thing on the motorway!!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
I have a Honda Roto-tiller I dearly love.

Does BMW make roto-tillers?
No, but Germany was the birthplace of rotary tillers. Siemens was the first company to make them.

http://www.donaldantiquerototillers.com/German.html

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 9:08 am

You don't have to be able to bench press 550lbs to get your BMW on its center stand (05+ only, sorry).
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:48 pm

#9 there actually is a yellow LT for sale in my area.
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 2:27 pm

the gl 1800 will no longer be will manufacture in USA from 01/05/08 just in japan from now, the new lt will be available 6 cylinders from 01/01/09 the new one.it will be like a spaceship. it will destroy the gl 1800 for ever.
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmpl
the new lt will be available 6 cylinders from 01/01/09 the new one.it will be like a spaceship. it will destroy the gl 1800 for ever.

SIX cylinders in the new LT just 9 months from now? PICS man ... PICS!!!!
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

I am starting a new tread with new spy stuff and patent infor from BMW. there we can post findings and make up our mind of what might be to come
Yes I found some interesting info:
post #14 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Number three: PMP hillarious!!!
Number one: Absolutely true. Esp. for Tim Horton nut like me.
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:05 am

A 6-cylinder LT - here goes the gas milage again! Why can't a mc less than half the weight of my Prius, get 50+ mpg, and please don't give me the "its a performance machine"!
I have owned both and am sorry to say that although we like the LT, my wife preferred the GL so you can guess what the 2009 replacement will be!

Lee, WT1U
Assonet, MA
05' K1200LT
AMA, BMWMOA, HRCA, GWRRA, Yankee Beemer
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:23 am

I surely hope that you are not trying to say the GL is the answer because of fuel consumption ... that Wing is 2x as thirsty as a LT.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #17 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:28 am

Fair and Balance

I do not agree that either bike is better than the other. It all depends on what one likes.

Why to buy an LT over the GL1800.

(1) Electric windshield (Great if the mechanism does not give a problem)
(2) Electric center stand (Great again until the seals go out.) If it was an option I would not purchase it. No problem putting a bike on the center stand.
(3) Computer is great giving gas mileage and distance left on gas. (This I did like).
(4) Not everyone has one they are different and non bikers notice them more.
(5) More comfortable for a tall person (6 ft or better).
(6) Gas mileage is better.
(7) Little more wind protection for driver.
(8) Handle bar controls are a little easier to operate.
(9) Alarm system.
(10) Gear indicator on the dash.

Why to buy a GL1800 over K1200LT.

(1) No worry of rear drives failures.
(2) Do not have to drill weep hole for slave cylinder. (Never have heard of a slave cylinder leaking on a Gold Wing).
(3) Never hear of oil seal leaking on the clutch taking it out. (Wet clutch). Very rarely hearing of a clutch going out of a Gold Wing.
(4) Change the Oil in 10 minutes (No need to remove a plate from the oil pan just a screw on type filter.
(5) No transmission to change oil in. (No removing a skid plate and exhaust hanger).
(6) No need to check rear drive magnet on drain plug every oil change for steel.
(7) No need for an expensive check every 12,000 miles. (No fuel filter to change, check valves at 32,000 miles but no one does they are never out.) Air filter is the only real job and it is simple after once done.
(8) Low speed handling is so much better.
(9) Bike comes with intercom system, built in GPS and wired for headsets.
(10) Excellent dealer network.

Again they are both great bikes. I never will say one bike is better than the other. People like certain bikes better than other bikes. Three years ago I would have said I would never buy any other bike than a BMW, K1200LT and I would never buy a GL1800. With the problems I had it changed my mind and today I like the GL1800. Two years from now I may buy something else.

The first reply will be frame breakage. This was in 2003 and a few 2004ís. Never hear of one leaving a person stranded. Honda stepped right up and took care of everyone. If one shows up today it does not matter if the bike is in warranty or not they will weld it or replace the complete frame.

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #18 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 2:55 pm

Love my 2000 K1200 Lt, but BMW has no dealer network to come close to Honda's. Sorry to say but my next new bike will be a Wing. Mainly due to dealer network and reliability issues, and besides after a Ducati, Moto Guzzi, a 76 Electra Glide, an old 750 water buffalo suzuki and two Beemers it;s time for one. But that will be down the road, wife just go an 08 Toyota Prius. It's to the point I dont entertain the thought of extended long distance trips anymore due to the possibility of the rear end failing. Honda stepped up to the plate admitted they had a frame problem fixed the ones that cracked and engineered a fix in there production, BMW wont even acknowledge there is a problem. Ever notice how they take care of there automobile customers. It seems to me that if you buy one of there bikes, you deal with the bastard side of the company. I feel with the rear end issue I am riding a hand Grenade with the pin loose or already pulled. Just waiting on it to fail, after all I have been told over and over by people who I have met in person and reading it in here, it's not a matter of if it's going to fail but when it fails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in