Low MPG. .Try new O2 sensor? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Low MPG. .Try new O2 sensor?

Howdy all, I've got an 02 with 28k on the clock and I think my mpg's are going down on me. When I'm riding at reasonable speeds, the BC shows 35-36 mpg. I know I probably don't drive it as slow as I could but don't do WOT all the time either.

The bike runs fine. It did die on me recently when I let off the gas, at low speed, for the first time. Started right back up after that though. All maintenance is up to date, including the 24k.

Should I go ahead and buy the Bosch universal O2 sensor (or other sensor) and install to see if it improves my mpg? The last thing I want to do is bring it to a repair shop to have it looked at for a diagnostic.

Most of my riding is solo and at least half the time the wind wings are not extended.

Thanks,

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Re: Low MPG. .Try new O2 sensor?

James,
I just finished replacing my O2 sensor for the same reason. The bike was running fine but the mileage had dropped off from the mid 40s to high 30s. I did not bother to get a readout to determine if the sensor was bad. Just went ahead and replaced it. I have only 60 miles on the new sensor and the BC is indicating about 40. So fingers are crossed.
I didn't use the Bosch universal. Bought the BMW replacement. It was a bit of a PIA to replace but I did complete it in a couple of hours.

there was a really good thread which I can't find. It had photos and tips about replacement. Maybe someone remembers.
Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Red face Re: Low MPG. .Try new O2 sensor?

I was having the same problem, but, I had replaced my battery and had not reset the TPS. After resetting, the MPG's got progressively better and the crappy performance improved significantly.

To reset the TPS (throttle position sensor) unhook the battery, wait 5 minutes, reconnect, turn on key (don't start) and twist the throttle to full position twice, turn off key, and then yell "fire in the hole!!!!" and start that baby up and ride like the wind.

Can't hurt.....

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the responses. I just did the TPS reset a few days ago, but figured if their was going to be a noticeable improvement in MPG, it would be showing up now. The performance seems just fine. It's basically the mpg is pretty small compared to a lot of others I've seen.

Good luck Bob with the MPG. Hope it continues doing well for you.

Regards. James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Are yall still getting winter mixture gas?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: Low MPG. .Try new O2 sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Are yall still getting winter mixture gas?

Bob

Not sure Bob. How could I tell if it's winter mixture or not?

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 3:41 am

Little sticker on the pump tells you the span of the winter mixture gas, which has less energy.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
I was having the same problem, but, I had replaced my battery and had not reset the TPS. After resetting, the MPG's got progressively better and the crappy performance improved significantly.

To reset the TPS (throttle position sensor) unhook the battery, wait 5 minutes, reconnect, turn on key (don't start) and twist the throttle to full position twice, turn off key, and then yell "fire in the hole!!!!" and start that baby up and ride like the wind.

Can't hurt.....
Craig, I too had the same problem and thanks to your comment I relized I had changed battery and did not do your procedure. My MPG has droped to 40, she has aso cut off after a rev a few times too. Thanks for the reminder! I did it last night and I hope it helps. Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in