Looking at all you droppers..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Looking at all you droppers.....

And thinking... 'Well I have had mine a year and not even close.' That is until today. You know, if the side stand is not fully down, the bike will be. And if you think you are going to catch it and keep it from hitting the ground... you will join it. Went riding with my son (teaching him how to ride a 1981 suzuki GN400) and the chain guard started riding on the chain. We were on a country road and I waved him to pull over. I dropped the side stand and started on my way and the bike started going down. Tried to stop it, but it was more determined than me. The plastic guard cover is scratched, along with the lower faring, shift lever, and foot peg. The rear saddle bag chrome strip didn't touch. Really does not look that bad.

What a great day!!!

Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Smile Re: Looking at all you droppers.....

Guess this is as good a place as any to put my 1st post. First post, first drop, first drive...hope this isn't indicative of anything. A bit of history...got my first BM in '72, fully dressed 750 , went from an 80cc Suzuki to that, what a change. Next BM was a '76, 900cc, also a great bike. The mistake I made was selling them. Next bike was a '86 Suzuki 1100 touring bike(can't remember model), also a nice bike, but not a BM. As the years passed I thought I would never be able to afford another BM, my first one was $2500.00 new, now priced at $27,000.00(in Canada). I found a used 2004 with low mileage, great shape, great price...sold! Picked it up, but hadn't rode a bike for a few years and the difference in weight in my old BM's compared to this one was noticably different. Took the back roads home, fine until the first stop sign. I guess you can picture the rest, next thing I knew I was picking it up...got to strengthen those old legs. Fortunately nothing was hurt other than my pride, other than a slight scratch on the chrome on the bottom roll bar(do they still call it that)? Anyway, I have got my old riding skills back, managed to get a few runs in before wintering it and can't wait to get it out of storage if the snow ever melts. I just discovered this site....I have more to ask, but need to check out more of the posts first. Great Site.
post #3 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Re: Looking at all you droppers.....

Welcome to the club.

Next is the "Dropped Twice" club (has to be once one each side), or the "Dropped with a passenger" club (extras kudos if your wife is the other rider).

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC

post #4 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Alpha
Welcome to the club.

Next is the "Dropped Twice" club (has to be once one each side), or the "Dropped with a passenger" club (extras kudos if your wife is the other rider).
BTDT on all.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:39 am

[QUOTE=Next is the "Dropped Twice" club (has to be once one each side), or the "Dropped with a passenger" club (extras kudos if your wife is the other rider).[/QUOTE]

You mean you get extra points if you drop it with wife on board. Cool, I should get double then, dropped it both with wife on board and then did it with my daughter in law. Believe it or not both got back on and said nothing about my being a klutz.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #6 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Alpha
Welcome to the club.

Ditto I have done all 3.
Only once to the right, 2 times with mamma....
Backing up downhill with the dreaded reverse angle and moon not in alignment with the sun and ............

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #7 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
BTDT on all.
Me too that's why I posted it. I did it on my maiden voyage with the wife. Previously had a V-Twin and didn't realize that I had to rev the engine a little higher. Started to move, stalled and down we went. She laughed and helped me lift the bike. The first thing I did when we got home was search this site on how to lift the behemoth myself.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC
post #8 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 1:40 pm

So what kind of points do you get if you pinned your wife under the bike when neither of you were on the bike and one of the wheels was off. Oh, and the wife was in her PJs.

It happens, the one thing that I have found is that it has never been the bikes fault yet. My bike must be a female bike because it has always been right on this point to date.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #9 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 1:48 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Welcome I am a single dropper and hope to stay that way. I too set it on the side stand and, as if in slow motion went over. I unfortunately had to replace and repair a whole bunch
My bike was only two weeks old.

I have never used the side stand since.
Welcome to club!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 2:31 pm

My name is Mike and I am a duel dropper.
And I am sure number three is soon coming.

But who cares? As long as those wings do there job.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #11 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Dropping it with wife on board may be impressive, and certainly one each with wife and daughter-in-law is a step above, but I really don't think we will have heard of true mastery until someone confesses to dropping the bike with their wife AND with their girlfriend on board. In that order.
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:43 pm

I have dropped mine twice, once one each side. First one I was cut off in a parking lot, and second drop I just missed the ground with my foot[proby because of my short legs].
post #13 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemfusion
Dropping it with wife on board may be impressive, and certainly one each with wife and daughter-in-law is a step above, but I really don't think we will have heard of true mastery until someone confesses to dropping the bike with their wife AND with their girlfriend on board. In that order.
How about dropping it with your wife and HER girlfriend on board at the same time?? (I wasn't on the bike)

I had it blown over during a "performance citiation" stop (with nobody on board) - and the Arizona State Trooper helped me pick it up.
His comment to me after getting back on the sidestand was "Looks like you're having a bad day" to which I retorted: "I was having a GREAT day until I met YOU!" He laughed and tore up the ticket. Cost me $300.00 in busted parts to make it whole.

How about high centering it on the skid plate on a rock in the middle of a steep dirt road - then fighting the inevitable for two agonizing minutes as your downhill leg finally collapses from fatique - with your wife's 14 pound poodle on board.

ALL true stories.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 27th, 2008 at 9:13 pm.
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Dropped mine three times...that's why i'm so glad I have the GT now, well just one among many reasons lets say.
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 4:27 pm

You are in very auspicious company. It happens.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #16 of 19 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 5:07 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
You are in very auspicious company. It happens.

What is the idea of using all those big words

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #17 of 19 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Now having experienced the bike for 5 miles...I know the dropping is an accident waiting to happen! I just hope later then sooner.
post #18 of 19 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Dropped mine last fall. Amazing that you lifted it back up without first watching the video!!! I had to wait for my son to get home; meantime she was sitting in the middle of my gravel driveway for all to see and snort.
post #19 of 19 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:10 am

The amazing thing is I don't know which way I lifted it, I was in such a hurry to get it up before someone saw me, it went up almost as fast as it went down. After looking at the video and seeing that I should have been backwards it amazes me even more. Hopefully, I won't ever have an opportunity to try lifting it the right way. Also glad to know that a lot of others have dropped it as well, I figured I had lost all my old skills after nearly a 20 year absence from riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in