Synthetic oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Synthetic oil

On my last oil change, 12K on 06 LT I put synthetic oil in the engine, trans and rear drive. How long do you expect it to be good before next oil change? I had changed every 3K up until then. I know the synthetics are suspose to last longer before they break down. BTW, I used BMW oil and lube. Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Synthetic oil

I used dino at 6K intervals (up to the 36K service) and just went to Mobil1 extended (they claim 15K) so I know I good for at least 12K. The only REAL way to know is regular oil samples sent off for analysis.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donscoin
On my last oil change, 12K on 06 LT I put synthetic oil in the engine, trans and rear drive. How long do you expect it to be good before next oil change? I had changed every 3K up until then. I know the synthetics are suspose to last longer before they break down. BTW, I used BMW oil and lube. Don
Contact BMW North America and ask them. The BMW synthetic motorcycle oil is a very good oil, but I believe they only recommend it for up to 6000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first for the motor oil just like their BMW non synthetic motorcycle oil. I also think they will recommend their oil filter to be changed at the same time.

I believe a few on this board have done 12,000 mile oil change intervals on the BMW synthetic motorcycle oil and put high mileage on their bikes.

If you extend your oil change interval beyond 6,000 miles, I would suggest getting a Used Oil Analysis to verify the oil is in good condition before extending your oil change. Your warranty will not be voided if you can prove the oil is in good condition and will not cause failure.

Same is true for the transmission and rear drive.

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I used dino at 6K intervals (up to the 36K service) and just went to Mobil1 extended (they claim 15K) so I know I good for at least 12K. The only REAL way to know is regular oil samples sent off for analysis.
If you call Exxon, I believe they will not recommend and warranty their EP or any of their non motorcycle oils for any motorcycle. The 15,000 miles they speak of (read the fine print) is only for normal (highway) miles for cars and light trucks IF they are out of warranty. Otherwise they suggest following the owners manual.

Exxon makes a very good synthetic motorcycle specific oil that they will recommend. However, I believe they will not recommend or warranty it for over the 6,000 miles up to 1 year period like the manual states. Also ask them how long they will warranty for parts and labor in case of oil failure.

You are correct on the used oil analysis. If you send it in at 6,000 miles, they may say the oil has held up and the engine is in good condition to extend the oil change further.
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

So dino is fine for 6K but not 12K on the full synthetic? What is the point if it is not a better product for twice the price. I don't consider the LT engine a motorcycle engine (even though it is on a motorcycle frame). I don't use MC specific oil because every MC specific oil has clutch related additives that I don't want in my engine because it is waisted material. Why pay for something you don't use?I could care less if they don't provide a warranty, just like I never buy warranties on any product I buy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I make no claim that the quality of my opinions are any better that the quality of those opinions of the other posters on this site.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 7:48 pm

I make no claim that the quality of my opinions are any better that the quality of those opinions of the other posters on this site.

I think the quality of your opinions are ALWAYS better than other opinions on this site! I also put David Shealey and Mark Neblett in that rarified atmosphere as well.

That's MY story and I'm sticking with it.

I'm gonna' go buy a warranty. But only since there is a .000001 percent chance I'll have an engine issue with my brick due to lubrication failure.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Quote:
So dino is fine for 6K but not 12K on the full synthetic? What is the point if it is not a better product for twice the price. I don't consider the LT engine a motorcycle engine (even though it is on a motorcycle frame). I don't use MC specific oil because every MC specific oil has clutch related additives that I don't want in my engine because it is waisted material. Why pay for something you don't use?I could care less if they don't provide a warranty, just like I never buy warranties on any product I buy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I make no claim that the quality of my opinions are any better that the quality of those opinions of the other posters on this site.
I agree - this is just an ordinary auto engine design that happens to be in a MC. On this post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=33778&page=2
I used synthetic oil in my 2 Honda car engines (one a 4cyl and the other a 6 cyl) for ~9000 miles and the other ~16000 miles. The oil analyses are in my post near the end of this link. I'm currently running another test with different oil for 12 months and will have the analysis results soon.

So- a humble opinion from an (almost) retired engineer is - use a high quality synthetic oil and a high quality filter and put lots of miles on it (your "comfort" level or oil manufacturers recommended max mileage)and then get it analyzed and see how it is doing. (Many people have gone longer than my 16,000 miles as well.)

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 9:03 am

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles ( private and company ) but look after my 2 wheels more than the 4 wheeled ones.

When the bike oil level is down to minimum I drain it all off and replace with new oil. The filter gets changed every 3rd drain.

The old oil is used for topping up the other vehicles.

Thats my system and Im sticking to it.
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
I believe a few on this board have done 12,000 mile oil change intervals on the BMW synthetic motorcycle oil and put high mileage on their bikes.
I am in that boat. I change every 12000 miles and do all the fluids at the same time.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:18 pm

I use synthetics and change oil every 3k. It's cheap insurance and besides, it gives me a chance to look at what's going on with the engine. Like the peace of mind too. Do this with all my engines. I have a Dodge 3500 V10 with 310,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. This is a tow truck and has towed over 6,000 cars as well. Our '89 Honda Accord has 300k miles and has not been rebuilt - not even a head job. My '84 Yamaha Venture has over 100k. My grandpa bought two new Chevy pickups in 1957 and they are still running today on their original 235 sixes with only valve jobs performed. Accumulated mileage on them is over 500k. He changed oil every 3k religiously using Havoline 30wt and drilled this into my head. Guess it stuck. I have never worn out an engine in anything but a weed eater. I'd rather buy lots of oil than have car payments I suppose.
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 3:10 pm

The Texas Department of Public Safety has 3000 police cars. They were also entrenched in 2000 - 3000 mile conventional oil change intervals based on oil analysis and engine tear downs until 2001. Now they all use a brand of synthetic oil and filters and change at 22,000 mile intervals based on oil analysis and tear downs, with less wear and repair. Their severe driving conditions are so hard, they perform brake jobs more often than oil changes! They keep their American brand cars for around 200,000 miles.
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 3:21 pm
mos

Where are you guys sending your oil to get it analyzed ? How much are you paying ?
Mike
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Oil Analyzers Inc. charges $20-25 including postage and sample bottle.
post #14 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
Oil Analyzers Inc. charges $20-25 including postage and sample bottle.
Here I go again, maybe I am just cheap but why spend $25 to check and see if I need to spend $25 to change my oil????? I guess I would just change the oil as its a draw either way.

By the way I did Naval Aviation Maintenance for 27 years and we did oil samples every 10 hours on the jet engines so I know the value of that aspect of it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Here I go again, maybe I am just cheap but why spend $25 to check and see if I need to spend $25 to change my oil????? I guess I would just change the oil as its a draw either way.

By the way I did Naval Aviation Maintenance for 27 years and we did oil samples every 10 hours on the jet engines so I know the value of that aspect of it.
I've only done one analysis and that was to check my transmission fluid as I had gone triple the BMW recommended change interval with synthetic oil. It came back saying the oil was good for continued use.

I'm going to do all 3 oils right before I run out of factory warranty to make sure I don't have coolant leaking into the engine or any other mechanical issues so they can be fixed or at least documented before the warranty runs out, or to help me decide if I want to purchase an extended warranty.

I think the real benefit is for large trucks that use 10 gallons or more of synthetic oil. Some trucks use oil analysis and have gone 400,000 miles or more on a single oil change, but do change the filters. This has saved them alot of money on labor and oil and in reduced down time.
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Great posts Tim, Now if we could just find a way to change the LT filter without changing the oil we would have something!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Garage

I put Mobil 1 in my cars and change around 4000. On my old RT I used synthetic and changed at 3000. On my new RT I'll change at 3000 with Castrol dino at 3000 until broken in then synthetic at 3000 from then on. I know I'm a waster or resources but I have never had an oil related failure and don't intend to anytime soon. I tear enough engines apart from people that try to get the last cent from their oil. And for that matter transmissions that didn't get serviced also.
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Great posts Tim, Now if we could just find a way to change the LT filter without changing the oil we would have something!
John,

Donaldson has the patent for nanofiber filtration media that requires less frequent changing. They have licensed it to another company for motorcycle, car and light truck oil filters, resulting in up to 12,000 mile filter changes in the LT and 25,000 miles changes in cars and light trucks or one year whichever comes first, so I just change the oil and filter at the same time. These are the oil filters I use in my LT, minivan, motorhome and sports car. They keep the oil cleaner, remove smaller particles, allow better flow and hold more particles than any other filter. Hopefully oils and filtration technology will continue to improve. Unfortunately, there is great resistance by the major oil and filter companies and quick lubes who want their customers to do frequent changes so they can sell more products.

I sought out these products as my idea of a good time does not include changing filters and oils in my vehicles and yet they out perform other products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in