Buzzing sensation-input appreciated - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Buzzing sensation-input appreciated

Got a problem on my '99LT that's got me a little stumped. Maybe some of you can help me diagnose the problem. Late last season I noticed a buzzing sensation coming from the engine that has become more pronounced this season. This is a vibration. The engine runs smooth and has no issues (no hesitation, stalling, etc.), except for this feeling which is most noticeable at idle (neutral) and low rpms only. It smooths out at higher rpms. The tupperware on the left side vibrates and rattles although everything is in tact and tight. The right hand grip also vibrates. It runs smoothly and is still getting 50-54 mpg. The bike has 68k miles. Meticulously serviced, mostly by myself, except for valve clearance adjustments (last checked at 60k by dealer-no adjustments required) and the cam chain tensioner (replaced by dealer at 60k). Last major service was performed by dealer at 60K. Last tune-up service (plugs, all fluids, filters) performed at 66k by myself. Idle is at 1,000 rpm +/- 50. I would appreaciate any input before taking it to the dealer. Possible idle speed adjustment? Synchronization problem? Past due for a valve clearance adjustment? There is a slight valve clatter, but no more than has been normal for the bike for several years. Bike has full power, no smoke, plugs were burning clean and even when replaced. Other ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Re: Buzzing sensation-input appreciated

does it have a sound other than a buzz? Plastic makes all kinds of noises that I know you are aware of. question that i have is can you tell if it is a metallic noise or is it plastic?

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:29 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Almost every "Buzzing" thread I have seen ties back to the exhaust system. Either a broken flange /stud or a bolt touching the exhaust some where picking up the buzz. I would look there first.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

By buzzing I mean a vibration that actually shakes the hand grips. The only sound is that of the plastic vibrating. So there is some sort of vibration emitting from the engine at idle that is vibrating the entire bike. It runs smooth, but not as smooth as it should in my experience. It's similar to what a 4 cyl/4 carb bike would run like if the carbs were out of synch.
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Or maybe the idle speed is low. It's at 1000 rpm +/- 50. Does the fuel injection require any service?
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I have noticed since your original post that my bike idles at the lower spectrum 1000 +/- 50 well mine is the -50. I have synced the throttle bodies last fall, which smoothed out a lot of rattles. However my mirrors are like baby rattles. I will agree to check out your exhaust but just start feeling the bike all over while it is running to get an idea of where it might be coming from.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

The vibration stems from the engine. It is more pronounced now than in the past. Throttle bodies have not been synched. I've synched many carb set ups through the years using vacuum guages, but never throttle bodies. Can you tell me about the job?
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

I've checked out the exhaust and it's all good. Suspect throttle bodies may be out of synch.
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 1:17 am

This subject came up a few years ago on the old board, LT's with STOCK EXHAUSTS just have this Funky 3800/4200 rpm vibration, It comes from the occilations of exhaust pulses within the pipe and most have found NO cure for it but one .... a Remus exhaust system, yep installed mine and this funky vibration was history, go figure

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 4:51 am

Could it be the tires or the fork? Like a wobbling thning which will make a resonance thrue the whole bike? Does it come at certain speeds ?

With my old Suzuki 1100 It wobbled between 60 and 90 miles and the whole bike was shaking like it had been in a freezing blizzard, but before and after it was a smooth ride. The problem there was the shocks and the fork!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in