Seat Position at Six Feet (Sorry I have to ask) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Seat Position at Six Feet (Sorry I have to ask)

I know this is probably a stupid question but I can not decide if the upper or lower position is best for handling and control. I have an 05 and when I bought it the dealer said leave it in the higher position. Im 6 feet tall.
I lowered the pegs with floorboards which lower them about an inch and a half and also it relocated them slightly forward.

When standing still and feet on ground the lower position feels more stable to me. But just would like to hear what others at my height prefer. Sorry I know its a subjective question. It is the stock seat.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Re: Seat Position at Six Feet (Sorry I have to ask)

When I ride in urban settings (which is rare) I put the seat in the lower position to give me more leverage and a better feel at stoplights, etc.

On the highway in the upper position for more comfort.

I had floorboards which just plain did not work for me since it forced me to ONLY plant my feet aft of "center". Very awkward. I much prefer the feel of having my toes on the pegs, especially for spirited riding.

Inseam, physcial fitness, boot sole composition and especially riding skills at slow speeds also contribute to your "comfort" zone when horsing around a beast like an LT.

I've always thought my LT it is the worst handling bike I've ever had at 2 mph, but at 90 all is forgiven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Overall height doesn't mean much for ergonomics. Peiople have different inseams and waist to head heights. The first is relavent to ground clearance and how your feet touch the ground. The latter is important (along with arm length) to determine if risers will provide a more upright riding position. Both are needed to customize for best comfort on the seat in riding position.

I was six feet, until I lost an inch of hair (nothing on top anymore practically), and my inseam is 31". I'm using the stock low position and find it quite comfortable all around. I do not use floor boards or a lowering kit.

I do have to agree that slow speed handing can be tough. It's easier if you use the rear brake instead of the front brake, but I'm still trying to break that bad (on the LT) habit.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:35 pm

I prefer the high setting for more room with stock pegs, and can flat foot no problem. But on the highway I prefer airhawk, seat in high, with feet on tank every once in a while.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Try each setting in different conditions and decide for yourself?

Seat position is more than just length between your buttox and the ground. It also changes where your center of gravity (e.g., where most of the weight on your posterior sits)on the seat itself is.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 9:26 am

You are the safest where you are most comfortable.... lower seat in town... raise on cruise...

Talk to Ari... you might want to rig up an electric seat like he did... then again, his winters give him lots of time to farkle.... and work on the bike... =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 9:48 am

I'm 6'-5" and have tried all positions.

I even made up a "wedge" (mounted underneath to the mounting bracket) to try to further lift the seat. It worked, but, I didn't like the look and ultimately comfort.

Some of it is getting used to it. I mostly ride with toes on pegs and heels on passenger floorboards. This keeps my feet from scraping.

Long trips it is usually best to change your position around a bit.

Wish I had the coin for a custom seat. Going to have to start stashing away.

Ride Safe.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 9:59 am

Maybe the 05 is different from the 04 (as far as seat adjustment configuration goes.)
But on my 04 when I raise the seat it only raises the rear portion of the seat. The result for me was sliding forward. Not very comfortable IMHO. (6'5")
I have been pretty happy with stock seat, bead rider, lower pegs for interstates, and XL J-Pegs..
Just my $.02..
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #9 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:23 am

At 6'2+" and a 36" inseam, I like the way the bike fits with the seat in the high position...but...I keep it in the low spot. The handling feels a little bit better and I have a bit more control. Maybe if I raised the handlebars up a bit then I could give my knees a break but with the XL J-pegs, I am good to go.
Like the others have said, try it in both positions.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:26 am

I am about 6' 2" and I like to ride my 05 in the higher position. Then again, I like to just tippy toe when I touch the ground, so I also added a 4 inch gel pad and a walmart pillow under the seat ( while in the high position ).

I like to feel that I am sitting above the bike and ALWAYS like my eyeline to be above the windshield.

I guess it could be a preference to how you feel more comfortable on the bike.

As most people said, work with the bike and find your best arrangement.

See you on the road!

Spiros
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:29 am

I am 6'1" or so and ride in the lower position. I have about a 30" inseam. I have tried the upper position but I do not like the feel of the bike at the "high" position. I have an 05 and have about 20k on her.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #12 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:18 pm

I'm 6' even with or without hair and have a 32" inseam. I ride in the high position for city and highway. I can make the bike do what I want it to do in either position including the MSF Experienced Rider Figure 8 in the box. It's all in your comfort level.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Well I took it out for a long ride today and I do like it in the lower position.
However I will probably replace the windshield as I do like to be able to see over it as an option. Thanks to all for you inputs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in