weird noises from the rear drive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

weird noises from the rear drive

Riding home last night I encountered what I hope is not the start of the dreaded FD problem.

It seems when riding the bike upright there is little noise from the rear end of the bike.(other than what would probably be construed as normal). However, when I was banking on corners there was a significant increase in mechanical noise. Nothing that I could definitely put my finger on ( like grinding etc.) but more an increase as though from stressed bearings. One thing of note is my me880 is getting cupped.

Am I getting too worried about this whole drive thing? Anyone experience the same effect.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Re: weird noises from the rear drive

It is probably your tires making the noise.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Talking Re: weird noises from the rear drive

For a while I thought you were talking about your pillion...

Seriously, it is your rear Metz tire howling. A known phenomenon and not dangerous. This happens after a certain mileage...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 3:10 pm

I had the same thing (and still do) sort of a clanking noise. I had the dealer check it out and he could not find anything wrong. Said it may be brake pad related. The bike runs fine and the noise usally only happens at slow speed turns.
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Put your bike on the center stand and try to move the rear tire from side to side. If there is any play at all you got a problem. You might also be able to put your ear to the hub and turn the wheel to see if you hear anything.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 3:56 pm
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndmunro
Riding home last night I encountered what I hope is not the start of the dreaded FD problem.

It seems when riding the bike upright there is little noise from the rear end of the bike.(other than what would probably be construed as normal). However, when I was banking on corners there was a significant increase in mechanical noise. Nothing that I could definitely put my finger on ( like grinding etc.) but more an increase as though from stressed bearings. One thing of note is my me880 is getting cupped.

Am I getting too worried about this whole drive thing? Anyone experience the same effect.

Any ideas?
Neil,

My bet is tire noise. I had same issues with my Metz. Great life. Just noise.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Metzlers will do that. Would be my first guess.

B D R
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Quote:

Any ideas?
Known to cause a howling sound when the tires get off center as when banking over in a corner. The fronts will make the same noise when cupped also.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Gents I guess I now need to find the best deal in Metzeler 880 rear tyres. I know there were a few dealer links posted in the past.
I seem to remember somewhere in Tx had pretty fair prices.
Anyone up on the current hot price?
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 5:46 pm

www.swmoto.com Usually has about the best prices. and free shipping if you buy a pair I think. And their shipping is fast.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:26 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Thanks Gents I guess I now need to find the best deal in Metzeler 880 rear tyres. I know there were a few dealer links posted in the past.
I seem to remember somewhere in Tx had pretty fair prices.
Anyone up on the current hot price?
Hi Neil,
Not sure you'll have much luck (or save much) buying in the US -- unless you go to a Seattle dealer and buy and install them there -- even then only maybe there will be a saving. Think you should expect to pay about C$240 for the rear -- and can likely find a local bike shop who'll give you 30% off that. Be VERY CAREFUL though to make sure you get the correct tire. The LT needs a BIAS (I know -- old fashioned) PLY tire that is reinforced to handle the weight.
Be sure to double, no - triple check what you buy and install. Have had some fun getting the right ones ordered -- even from my BMW Dealer (in Moncton).
Best,
Keir
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 9:30 pm
fas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Hi Neil,
Not sure you'll have much luck (or save much) buying in the US -- unless you go to a Seattle dealer and buy and install them there -- even then only maybe there will be a saving. Think you should expect to pay about C$240 for the rear -- and can likely find a local bike shop who'll give you 30% off that. Be VERY CAREFUL though to make sure you get the correct tire. The LT needs a BIAS (I know -- old fashioned) PLY tire that is reinforced to handle the weight.
Be sure to double, no - triple check what you buy and install. Have had some fun getting the right ones ordered -- even from my BMW Dealer (in Moncton).
Best,
Keir
I was actually in Moncton! Years ago visiting Palmar, a brake client. My BMW dealer here in Cleveland, OH, installs tires at internet pricing. They got tired of not getting the business.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:07 pm

I get the tire howl at speed when going through a sweeper...

I also get a noise at low speed when cornering, say at 10mph. I'm convinced this is the rear brake pads touching the disk slightly when cornering. I've put the bike on centerstand as suggested and tried to move the wheel, no play. Whew!

I've also noticed at low speed cornering if I try to drag the brake ever so slightly the noise will disappear. I'm not going to worry about it, just keep an eye on wheel play...good luck.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #14 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2008, 8:56 pm

If it it a non metalic, snow tire kind of noise... It's the tire.
The tire is cupping. When you lean the bike over, you engage the cupped area it sounds like a heavy duty snow tire. Straighten the bike back up and the noise is gone... Then it's the tires.

If it is a metalic, metal-to-metal rubbing / grinding noise.
It is likely your rear rotor loosening up and making noise. If you apply the rear brake gently and it goes away... it's the rear rotor.

I have experienced both.
post #15 of 15 Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:47 pm

On my 00, I had the brake discs replaced because of squeal (under warranty). Just before I sold it, I noticed the the brake disc was coming loose from the grommets/ fasteners???- I believe it was the rear. The disk would rub against the pad and cause a scraping sound when cornering.

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in