LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: 6-cylinder LT?

Total conjecture, with no supporting evidence at all. Think maybe they're just bored and looking for interesting stories?

Besides, I can't even imagine how long an LT with a straight-6 motor would be, or how poorly it would handle.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:31 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Total conjecture, with no supporting evidence at all. Think maybe they're just bored and looking for interesting stories?

Besides, I can't even imagine how long an LT with a straight-6 motor would be, or how poorly it would handle.
Don't think straight, think V. 60 or 72 degrees, cant the front bank forward a bit so the back is not quite vertical, use it as a stressed member with minimal frame (maybe a spar down each side vs the huge monocoque/backbone arrangement they now have) and the tranny built into the engine cases instead of a separate unit as today. You could easily make that fit in the space of the current motor and tranny along with the monstrous frame backbone, keep the same wheelbase length (maybe a little shorter but not likely), probably lower the center of gravity a bit (depending on how you drape the fuel cell around it), and probably save 60-70 pounds of the 200 pound weight loss the bike needs right there. Move to CanBus drops another 13-15 pounds, and then let the engineers figure out the rest of the Jenny Craig plan for the beast. 145HP, 110 lb. ft. of torque, that's my prediction.

And on the engine config - just think about the current GT motor. Lop off one cylinder and add a matching row of three behind it. 1800cc, no waiting!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 1:05 am

Kinda makes me think Hmmmmmm.
post #5 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:53 am

Hmmmmm......here is more interesting info......This also strongly suggests the new LT , probably a six , is on the way.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=6137&Page=1

to quote the motorcycle USA article :

"The long time boss of BMW's motorcycle division, Dr. Herbert Diess, has stepped down in favor of Hendrick Von Kuenheim. (He is the son of Eberhard Von Kuenheim, who was in charge of the entire BMW brand from 1970 until 1993.) Unlike his predecessor who has an engineering background, the new man comes from marketing and has been appointed to further change the brand image in line with all the new recent releases of new sportier models.

We have mentioned before that there is the distinct possibility of BMW

producing a new tourer in the near future, possibly with a brand-new six-cylinder motor powering it.

Well, sources now suggest that it has actually reached the design stage and aerodynamic tests are taking place on the fixed luggage system. It appears to have aero-foils on it for stability, a horizontal one on the top box and vertical ones on the panniers. No doubt these are for stability, but should give the new LT a very futuristic look! "

No reason to make an inline six mounted longitudinally, too long....horizontal or better yet V would be best.......

How amazing would a six cylinder version (one easy suggestion - just add two more cylinders to make it an 1800 ) of the current K motor be in a new LT ? Totally saweet if you ask me. What is BMW known for ? Awesome straight sixes.....super smooth, torquey, powerful, unique , sound incredible . Packaging would be a challenge but they have been successfully done before........who knows.

I am starting to save my change....

Last edited by Shriker; Mar 25th, 2008 at 10:58 am.
post #6 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:03 am
Old Dawg

Ken... Remember Andy and I wanted to make bets on this ?

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #7 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:28 am

I've owned 7 V4s (Hondas) and I absolutely loved them. A V6 powerplant in the new LT would make me giddy as a school girl.
Here's to hopin'!!!
post #8 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:40 am

I would like to see the current brick or even the new transverse I-4 have a rooots type supercharger on it. I think with a little work you cold fit a nice Eaton under the tupperware, and no one would have to know. Then you can have your cake and eat it too. Great power and torque everywhere and when you are not on it good fuel milage.

I put one on my 98 Mustang GT and loved every second of it and I still got 26 mpg on the highway.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT

Last edited by Steve_R; Mar 25th, 2008 at 12:28 pm.
post #9 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
The only thing that sounds realistic so far is to not expect anything until 2010. The rest is simply conjecture.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 19 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The only thing that sounds realistic so far is to not expect anything until 2010. The rest is simply conjecture.
Roger that!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Garage
6-cylinder LT?

With the smoothness and torque available from a well designed V6 engine, that would be one awesome machine. A worthy successor to the current LT. Which means BMW will NOT do that .

radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #12 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 2:12 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
My money is still on a 6 in line, based on the current slant 4. If you put that into a bike and put one addl. cylinder onto it left and right you would still be within the limits of the width of the current LT.

I offer another friendly wager for $1.
post #13 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I've owned 7 V4s (Hondas) and I absolutely loved them. A V6 powerplant in the new LT would make me giddy as a school girl.
Here's to hopin'!!!
Agree about the V-Fours. Had a V65 Magna and later the VFR800i. So Joe what do you think of the ST1300...or not?

Just askin'...

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #14 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Andy, I was thinking the same (as I said in my previous post , how relatively simple that would be-maybe this was their intention from the get go with this).

As with our LT's , the new design could then be heavily based on the current new K bike platform (frame engine transmission suspension etc.)

So lets imagine a Hossak front end Telelever rear end enlarged current GT with an ~1736 cc inline forward canted 6 cyl. engine with hopefully at least 150hp and a nice flat torque curve all weighing in hopefully under the current 865 lb wet weight.
post #15 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 3:49 pm

Then they should make it longer, as of now it look like a compressed bike or in other terms if we could stretch it like in comparishment:

Now 737-700
After 737-800
post #16 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Agree about the V-Fours. Had a V65 Magna and later the VFR800i. So Joe what do you think of the ST1300...or not?

Just askin'...
back some years ago, I always thought I'd own an ST1100 someday, but it just never happened. And when Honda released the ST1300, well ... it just doesn't 'speak to me'. I'm sure it's a great bike, I just don't like it for a number of personal reasons. I've sat on a few, and got off and never looked back. I've probably just drank too much of the BMW Kool-Aid lately.
post #17 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
My money is still on a 6 in line, based on the current slant 4. If you put that into a bike and put one addl. cylinder onto it left and right you would still be within the limits of the width of the current LT.

I offer another friendly wager for $1.
You might be right because BMW is famous for straight sixes and have never produced a V6 that I know of.

I will add an option for a 5 cylinder engine ... half of their V10.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #18 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Whatever they come up with I'll probably take one look at it and say.....Yuck, no thank you.

then a year or two later....hmmmn

I didn't like the first K-bike I saw, (butt ugly) wouldn't even take a test ride
Rode the "oilheads" didn't like them either, ......surging etc.
Sneered at the LT... That's a GW I don't want one

A couple years later I was riding a K75RT then a K1100LT put almost a hundred thou on each one,
then I test drove the LT....wow....what a great handling motorcycle,

looked at the GT, still don't like it,
that GS Adventure looks pretty nice but I'm sure my wife prefers the comfort of the LT.
So whatever they come up with, "you guys" will have a couple of years to "work the bugs out of them" before I'll "come aboard"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #19 of 19 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Hey Hans, Anyone ever call you and old phart?

BTW, when you guys down south going to do another RTE?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in