Hot Sex while 2 up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Hot Sex while 2 up

not really

i just need some info an rear brake bleed. no one would even read the post labeled "brake bleed" much less respond.

I took the caliper off to change pads and paint and can not get it to bleed. Taking to a dealer is not an option at this point. if i have to order the tools to DIY thats ok.

just need some advise. thanks, Dale 05 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Re: Hot Sex while 2 up

Nice ....Had me looking

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #3 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:00 pm

open the bleed screw, while pouring new fluid into your reservoir, slightly depress your rear brake pedal, while the bike is turned on, it will activate the pumps and flush your rear brake system for you. DO NOT let your reservoir run dry......
post #4 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Made me look.................

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

which bleed screw? the reservoir was dry.
post #6 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:19 pm

(fill the reservoir up) the one under your rear seat, then open the bleed screw on the caliper, there is actually 2 one on each side, then depress the pedal and let the pumps send fluid through the lines, only depress the pedal lightly until you hear the pumps turn on. Once you have no air bubbles coming through any more, close the bleed screw on the caliper and do the same to the other side. I would bleed your entire system if your reservoir is dry.
post #7 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Sheldon,

thanks for your help. I opened or tried both bleed screws. The pumps run but no fluid comes out. I have a one man bleed attached. Allot of air coming through, but no fluid. I pulled the panels on the left side to expose the pump.

thanks again.
post #8 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 9:02 pm

fluid will come through eventually, even if you just pump the pedal with the bike off, let gravity work for you. you obviously have a dry system and it needs to fill up first, before it goes out to the calipers
post #9 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Question Re: Hot Sex while 2 up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
not really

i just need some info an rear brake bleed. no one would even read the post labeled "brake bleed" much less respond.

I took the caliper off to change pads and paint and can not get it to bleed. Taking to a dealer is not an option at this point. if i have to order the tools to DIY thats ok.

just need some advise. thanks, Dale 05 ABS
I am not sure you would bleed the rear caliper after replacing the pads... ???
All you need to do after removing the old pads is to push back the pistons inside the caliper to make room for thew pads which will be thicker, and you are done.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:43 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

If she is bleeding there is no hot sex

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:49 pm

Talking Re: Hot Sex while 2 up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
If she is bleeding there is no hot sex
Dayem! I can't believe I missed that one!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 33 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:00 pm

Do yourself a HUGE favor and go buy a Mityvac. The cheapest model will work just fine... not really all that expensive considering all the aggravation (and money) it will save you.

It's one of those tools that you slap yourself in the forehead for not buying in the first place since it makes a task that is pretty much a PITA easy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 7:10 am Thread Starter

thanks again,

I tried for an hour. Still no fluid flow. I left both bleeders open all night hoping gravity would work. "no help"

the bmw car manual states that a pressurized bleeder is necessary.

still open for things to try

dale
post #14 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 7:38 am

Garage

Quote:
thanks again,

I tried for an hour. Still no fluid flow. I left both bleeders open all night hoping gravity would work. "no help".

still open for things to try

dale
Is the fluid going down in the reservoir when you press the brake pedal? Then have to add more fluid.

Also, shouldn't you have to close the bleed screw before letting up on the pedal, so you don't suck air back into the system? Then reopen it when depressing the pedal.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #15 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 7:54 am

This is a interesting topic. I plan on changing my pads soon so this information is good!

can you press press press (hot sex while 2 up, ) and hold while releasing air/fluid from the bleeder like on any other bike or is there a special sequence for a bike with ABS?

1985 K100RT 90k
1981 R100RT 56k miles Sold
2000 K1200LT 48k miles Sold
2003 Victory Vegas-12k miles Sold
1982 Suzuki GS550L only 299 miles Sold
1997 Yamaha Vmax-15k miles Sold
1996 Suzuki DR650-17k miles Sold
1996 R1100RT-27k miles Sold
1995 K1100LT-85k miles Sold
1982 Honda CB900F-33k mikes Sold
BMWMOA 138762[/I]
post #16 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:07 am

Not sure on your 05 but on my 03 there are TWO reservoirs at the same location by the right side case. Mine has two caps and when I service the reservoir I check and fill both. It's one unit but has a divider in the middle and a cap for each side. Did you check BOTH sides of the reservoir?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #17 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:10 am

There are 2 "reservoirs" . One for the Master Cylinder. The other is inside the ABS pump itself.

Here's Mark Neblett's process for the ABS.. I suggest you read it.. http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; Mar 25th, 2008 at 8:27 am.
post #18 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip001
This is a interesting topic. I plan on changing my pads soon so this information is good!
He didn't just change his pads. In his other post he said he took the caliper off to paint it. So there is no fluid in the line when he was trying to bleed them.

'05 is different from your 2000 because they have a pump. So they can just press and pump the oil out. We have to keep opening and closing, unless you put speed bleeders in.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #19 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:27 am

Frist the topic then I read ""Bleed screw"!

Is it only me the foreign language dude or ...
post #20 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 2:49 pm

I just did the brake flush on my '05 K1200LT. There was no dual reservoir as pictured in the Clymer manual for earlier 2005 LTs. Instead the ABS module had only the two black plastic caps (use a 8 mm hex key to remove them) that had a very small amount of fluid under them, that had to be kept full to prevent air ingestion whenever the pump runs.

I accidentally ingested air before adding two kludged standpipes to keep those under-the-cap chambers full at all times when bleeding. I knew this because the pump would run abnormally long on static brake application when I had first bled the brakes. When bleeding, these chambers empty quickly whenever the pump runs.

With the temporary standpipes, & re bleeding once again, the brakes feel normal & the pump runs normally (just a fraction of a second) on static brake applications.

BUT, I assume I may have set an ABS system error code. Is there a way for us tech savvy owners to reset the ABS system? My bike is in my basement waiting for the grass here to get hard enough to drive over it. With the weather here in Minneapolis, that should be about July.................

Last edited by 11862; Mar 25th, 2008 at 4:55 pm.
post #21 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 3:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If your is an 05, the system will reset from a fault by itself only IF the fault has been fixed. It does not need to be reset by the dealer. Once you get a chance to drive it the roll off test will complete and the lights will go out if all is well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #22 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Ok,

I followed almost ever piece that made since. Now I have brakes but there are problems. There is a flashing triangle while driving.

the brakes are there but weak. not as sensitive or touchy.

The brake pump runs continuously every time either brake pedal or handle is pressed. Is this normal or what is the likely cause.

I can not get the brake fluid in the reservior to go down, no matter what is tried. I back filled the system with a pump through the bleed valve on the caliper to get the brakes to work.

any help would be appreciated. The suzuki, and honda shop stated that they can not work on it. the nearest dealer is 3 hours 1 way.
post #23 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Shit... looked twice (this is the second time...)

Mark
'07 RT
post #24 of 33 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Ok,

I followed almost ever piece that made since. Now I have brakes but there are problems. There is a flashing triangle while driving.
xxxxx
the brakes are there but weak. not as sensitive or touchy. The suzuki, and honda shop stated that they can not work on it. the nearest dealer is 3 hours 1 way.

STOP.

Never, never push fluid from the caliper to the ABS.... That's bad.

There are NO shortcuts.... and without being there, this is DANGEROUS... Brakes are important.

Review....

Every time you apply brakes via the levers, the ABS pump runs. The levers apply "control" pressure to the ABS unit. As the pressure builds the ABS amplifies and sends pressure to the caliper(s).

When you "pushed" fluid, did you see any on the ground under the bike? Probably not. That's because the ABS is not letting the fluid flow back into the pump as you expect.

Therefore, ALWAYS use the ABS pump to PUSH fluid TO the caliper(s) by having the key ON and apply the brake you are working on... front or rear.

Always keep the reservoir on the ABS pump filled.. because THAT is where the fluid is that goes to the caliper(s)....

If this doesn't make sense, maybe someone locally could come by and help you work through this...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #25 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:26 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ok,

The brake pump runs continuously every time either brake pedal or handle is pressed. Is this normal or what is the likely cause.

I can not get the brake fluid in the reservior to go down, no matter what is tried. I back filled the system with a pump through the bleed valve on the caliper to get the brakes to work.

any help would be appreciated.
The pump always runs if a brake light is on. The reservoir you should be watching is ON the ABS unit, not the single chamber unit on the right side of the bike. That is the rear CONTROL circuit reservoir. Check the other post for a link to my article with some photos.

There are some ABS units on pickups that can be damaged by forcing fluid back up from the caliper but that is how they do the initial fill at the factory on the LT so no risk of damage here. I just don't recommend pushing OLD fluid back up, only fresh.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #26 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:02 am

Be sure to check when you are adding fluid to the rear unit that the rubber bellows that seals the unit under the cap is removed when you add fluid.

If not removed no fluid will flow int the system.

Good luck.

Mark

BSA 650 about 1969 Used, Denver, CO
Harley 350 (yes they made a 350) New, about 1971 Denver, CO

BMWs owned in sucession since 1975
R65 Used, Denver, CO
R90RT New, Denver, CO
R100R New Spokane, WA
K1100LT New Spokane, WA
2000 K1200LT Used, in 2001 then another
2000 K1200LTC Used, Canyon Red Metallic in 2003 then another
2000 K1200 LT Icon Used, Canyon Red Metallic in 2011 and still rolling.
post #27 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Just having been there with a 2005 LT that also doesn't have the dual reservoir etc pictured in the Clymer manual & elsewhere -

The pump should only run for a fraction of a second when you turn on the ignition switch, and when you pull and/or step on the brake(s). If it runs longer, it means you have air somewhere in the system.

The reason not to force new fluid from the brake caliper(s) back into the ABS module is most of the initial contamination will be in the caliper(s) - and you don't want that crap forced into the ABS module.

Note that there are two caps on the ABS module. The higher one (near the center) is generally for the front brake, the lower one (on the left side) is generally for the rear, but there is some sort of bleed orifice between the two that I don't fully understand, so there is the chance of cross-contamination and air ingestion.

I am not an expert on this, maybe someone else can check me out...........
post #28 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Niel is close. The wheel circuits are completely seperate from the control circuits. The fluid will never mingle. The cross over mentioned is between the front and rear control circuits only (thus the integral part).

Niel you can eliminate the word "generally" from your statement and you will be correct (unless some one has re-piped the system).

The bellows mentioned are in the control circuit reservoir. The wheel circuit reservoir has a small mesh screen directly under the cap that must be removed if you want to suck out the old fluid prior to a flush.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #29 of 33 Old Mar 26th, 2008, 8:38 pm

"Generally" is like "basically" - a fancy way of saying "ahhhhh........" I've never seen a sentence that couldn't have them taken out
post #30 of 33 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Ok,

thanks for all of the good information. After finally finding the resivors on the ABS unit and the discovery that it was totally depleted. "that was the problem" "now you can say DUH!" It hit me like a hammer.

It was so depleted that it would not flow any fluid to the caliper after it was filled. It took bleeding the tall bleeder on the ABS unit, to get flow.??

Finally it flowed fluid to the caliper. You guys are right, it will deplete the reservoir very quickly. "maybe 3 to 4 seconds" Keep in mind that i'm doing this by myself. I use a pole to mash the brake pedal, while i operate the bleeder. It's a circus.

Thanks again. BTW, the red caliper looks cool

Now we might get to ride the bike for the first time.
post #31 of 33 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 8:41 am

Take several TEST RIDES ...... ALONE.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #32 of 33 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:07 pm

after all your frustration, lets see some pictures.....
post #33 of 33 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 7:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
It took bleeding the tall bleeder on the ABS unit, to get flow.??
The bleeders on the ABS unit are only hooked into the control circuit so if any fluid came out be sure to check the sight glass for fluid level on the front reservoir at the grips. It most likely just took some time for the fluid to make its way down.

I used a small bleed bottle the first time and marked it so I knew when to stop and re-fill the reservoir. Now I use a funnel glued into a spare cap so I can load it with lots of fluid and watch the level go down.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in