my first thread and Q - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:07 am Thread Starter

my first thread and Q

Hi guys and gals

currently have my sv 1000 on ebay and once sold plan to buy a 1200 lt or a 1500 goldwing

what are the pros and cons of owning the lt i think its a far better looking bike than the goldwing in my opinion and would prefer one to the 1500 but all depends on which at the end of the day is the better one

thanx in advance

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:30 am

Re: my first thread and Q

Good morning Steve and welcome to the Looney Bin.

I had to go Google SV 1000 to know what it was and to know what you're coming from. I can't speak to the GW 1500 having never ridden one, but in my opinion I think the LT will come closer to giving you the sport touring ride than the GW.

Good luck on your quest.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:10 am

"the better one" is always going to be an opinion. Of course, 99.9% of us in this forum will tell you that the LT is far superior over the GoldWing.

I'll try to stick with facts...with opinions embedded for good measure.

The LT revs higher, which gives us Joe Rocket types a much better feeling when you're flying through the twisties at 6-8K RPMs. The fat girls really likes to sing in that RPM range. The GW, not so much.

The LT, once on the move, is going to feel much more like your SV in the twisties . . . albeit an 850 pound SV. But you will be surprised by it's ability to carve the curves.

The LT looks cooler.

Riding an LT, you'll find yourself set apart from the crowd. Kinda like riding your SV and pulling into a place where all you see are CBRs, Ninjas, and R1s. It's kinda nice being separated from all the conformists, isn't it? There's times when you're on a BMW, when you feel like nobody else on the planet owns one. Personally, I think that's WAY cool.

This LT community is cooler than a typical GoldWing community. I'll stop right there . . . before I offend someone.

For the record, I WILL own a GoldWing someday. I'm just not nearly old enough yet.

Lastly ... it's your money man. Follow your heart. It knows what's best for you.

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:54 am

I've owned both, three gold wings matter of fact and rode a HD at work for 8 years. When it came time to buy the next bike I didn't care for the look of the current GW's, and didn't even thing about a HD, it seem as if everyone had one. The LT struck me a sporty lookin, modern and it stood out from the crowd. I always have people coming up asking about the LT.

I don't grind the pegs as often as some of the members do, but I know I can if I wanted too. I don't think you would get the same feeling on the GW.

Nothing wrong with the GW's of HD's, I just like the LT more and have not looked back.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:58 am

If you like a more sporty feel the LT is for you. I have ridden the 1500 many times and in the twistys there is no compare. Look up some old reviews on the net for 1500 and LT and you will see the reviews liked the LT better all around. The 1500 is the best interstate bike made and some of interstate riders are getting rid of the 1800 and going back to the 1500.

To me there was to much flex in the frame and I couldn't really enjoy riding the twisties with the 1500.

I almost bought a 1500 and then decided to go with the LT at the last minute. I am glad I did. Have fun finding a bike. If you can take an LT out for a ride and you will never look at the 1500 again.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
If you like a more sporty feel the LT is for you. I have ridden the 1500 many times and in the twistys there is no compare. Look up some old reviews on the net for 1500 and LT and you will see the reviews liked the LT better all around. The 1500 is the best interstate bike made and some of interstate riders are getting rid of the 1800 and going back to the 1500.

To me there was to much flex in the frame and I couldn't really enjoy riding the twisties with the 1500.

I almost bought a 1500 and then decided to go with the LT at the last minute. I am glad I did. Have fun finding a bike. If you can take an LT out for a ride and you will never look at the 1500 again.
old bloke at work got a lt and says i can take it for a run so i am going to ask if its still ok
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:13 pm

The LT is not as common and therefore has that much more of a cool factor. The handling is phenominal for such a big bike. I have two friends that have GWs, one 1500 and one 1800, they can't keep up to me in the twisties and they have both been riding longer.

Good luck in your search.

Keep your booger picker off the bang switch, until you want a loud noise. DVC
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Pretty much what every-one else here is saying !
My brother has a wing and we switch off occasionally. It has great power, good comfort and all the amenities but ------it's no FUN.
post #9 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:20 pm

I owned a '2000 GL1500SE and liked it a lot particularly because of the smoothness and low end torque of the six cylinder engine. I found it to very comfortable but it doesn't compare with the technology advances of the LT's.

The '2000 was the last production year for the GL1500. Despite improvements made over the years, the GL1500 is based on 1988 technology. Carburetors and a manual choke are a little obsolete in my opinion, the tupperware is not as solid or fastened as well as the LT, brakes are no where near the level of the LT, handle bar rider controls not as ergonomic as the LT, power and gas mileage lagging compared to the LT, handling and ride significantly inferior to the LT (except at low speed because the GL has a lower center of gravity), etc.

Having said all of the above, my Goldwing never had a problem, dealers are more plentiful, accessories are abundant and more reasonably priced, the GL has more storage, and the SE version OEM CB and Radio/Intercom systems functioned better than my '07 LT intercom.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #10 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Welcome, Steve.

We have a saying around here: Just Ride It.

Then you'll know if it's the right bike for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 4:22 pm

"Q".. did I understand that this newbie is offering to buy at the next "Q" day ? =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Had 3 Goldwings in the past and can say, again an opinion, they are two different bikes. LT is much more of a sport ride, Goldwing is straight touring.

Your feet are under you a lot more on the LT, Goldwing is like sitting in a chair. Someone on here said you sit ON an LT and you sit IN a Goldwing.

The first time I sat on an LT I didn’t like where my feet sat. Again I wanted the big Goldwing feel. But after you get some miles on in that position you will find yourself ridding a lot more miles.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

spoke to guy at work with the lt and he says i can take his for a run if i like he also told me that he was selling it

i asked how much and he said 3500 which i thought was cheap but he then told me the mileage 100.000+ miles its a 1989 or 1990 model i think is this a lot for this sort of bike he has looked after it though as he is a mehcanic

what sort of milage do these bikes do i dont want to buy a lemon thats going to break down all the time

steve
post #14 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve
spoke to guy at work with the lt and he says i can take his for a run if i like he also told me that he was selling it

i asked how much and he said 3500 which i thought was cheap but he then told me the mileage 100.000+ miles its a 1989 or 1990 model i think is this a lot for this sort of bike he has looked after it though as he is a mehcanic

what sort of milage do these bikes do i dont want to buy a lemon thats going to break down all the time

steve

OK so that year range is totaly different than the current versions and the opinions expressed obove. There was a major shift in '99 to '04 and then again in '05 with more horse and goodies.

One aspect that I did not see covered above is the slow speed manouvering with models after '99 (not so much with '05 on). Even though you may be an experienced rider, the LT demands respect when going slow but once you understand the characteristics you will be fine and love everything else except some repair costs if they do breakdown.

As it has been said... go with your heart.

Mauro

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Steve welcome to the site.
I have not owned a GW but when I was looking I did test ride one and I felt the LT was a much better handling bike. The GW felt heavy and awkward to me. Just my opinion.
Plus my wife said she would not ride on a grandpa bike.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Steve

I think the bike will be a 98 or 99 - one if the early K1200's. !00,000 is not a great deal to a well maintained bike If the 'old guy' has been doing his own maintenance he will be able to tell you what he has done and what his schedule normally is. I would say that 3.5k is a reasonable price for a private sale. A stealer would want a lot more but would give some sort of warranty.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #17 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 5:21 pm

A friend who owns a GW put it this way: it has all the danger of riding a motorcycle but none of the thrill. That seems to sum it up!
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve
Hi guys and gals

currently have my sv 1000 on ebay and once sold plan to buy a 1200 lt or a 1500 goldwing

what are the pros and cons of owning the lt i think its a far better looking bike than the goldwing in my opinion and would prefer one to the 1500 but all depends on which at the end of the day is the better one

thanx in advance

steve
I had a TL 1000 which is real similar to your sv1000 and I think the one thing you will really notice a difference is that your old bike had torque galore, while this is not really so much at all. However your question pertained to the LT or Goldwing. There have been so many debates over this and of course since you are in the BMWLT site, we are going to sell you the LT. But if you go to a wing site they will sell you the GW. I have ridden both bikes and felt much more comfortable on the LT. For me the GW is much more of a crowded bike. I like the spacious cockpit that the LT has. However my Dad hates my bike and loves his GW.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in