Considering an LT Advice please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Considering an LT Advice please

Hi all, since this is my first visit / post I would appreciate some advice for the newbie.

I currently have a 85K100RT and am considering a slight upgrade to an 05 or 06 LT.

Here are a couple of questions or concerns that I have about this upgrade. Due to weather and time constainst I can't do any test rides. Dealer is closing and I may get a good deal.

1) How top heavy is this bike at slow speeds and stops especialy two up.

2) Maitenace items accesability. I have done all the work on my RT and will likely try to do all the work on the LT also.

3) If there is a sight already that cover this please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Big Bear AKA Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Hi all, since this is my first visit / post I would appreciate some advice for the newbie.

I currently have a 85K100RT and am considering a slight upgrade to an 05 or 06 LT.

Here are a couple of questions or concerns that I have about this upgrade. Due to weather and time constainst I can't do any test rides. Dealer is closing and I may get a good deal.

1) How top heavy is this bike at slow speeds and stops especialy two up.

2) Maitenace items accesability. I have done all the work on my RT and will likely try to do all the work on the LT also.

3) If there is a sight already that cover this please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Big Bear AKA Roy
This site is the one! There is a wealth of information here, just read the FAQ section, and the Hall of Wisdom. That can keep you busy for a day or so.

First, I have ridden a K100, and the LT is not a "slight upgrade", but a rather major one. The K100 is a little quicker "off the line", but the LT will blow it away at higher speeds, and be a LOT smoother. The K100 I rode was awfully "buzzy" at freeway speeds, mirrors were useless, and above 50-60 had a lot less punch than the LT.

The LT is certainly a lot more top heavy at walking speeds, and you have to be careful, especially to not use the front brake hard at near stop without being sure the front wheel is absolutely straight ahead. The Telelever suspension makes this far more important than standard forks, as there is no dive on braking, so if the wheel is turned even a little the mass will try to tip it over in the direction the wheel is turned. Not a problem once you are used to it though.

Maintenance is harder than a boxer, but about the same as your K100 once the fairings are off. Looks a little daunting at first, but after a time or two you can have all the main fairings off in about 20-30 minutes. Add another 15-20 minutes if you are replacing the air or fuel filter to get the tank off. A little time consuming, but not difficult.

Too bad you cannot get a test ride! That would likely sell you on the LT quickly, your wife/SO even quicker.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Dave thanks for the info, I will do some digging in the sites you suggested. Part of the reason I am looking is because of the wife / SO. She can't see over or around me on the old RT and this is annoying to her.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:30 pm

dave is giving you good advice. let me just add this:

1) this board and available maintenance DVDs by paul sayegh make maintenance pretty easy. and this is coming from someone who is not overly handy with a wrench. i find i can do almost all my own work. at first i was intimidated by all the tupperware, but it is really not a big deal.

2) i gather from your post that you are riding two up. i specifically bought the LT for that purpose, and my wife absolutely LOVES the way the LT coddles her. it is the first bike that she really loves to ride, even long distances.

good luck with your decision.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 2:00 pm

Adding to it

Adding to the above posts, I had a 2004 1150RT and upgraded to a and LT. Although the LTC I bought is a 2002, to me is an incredible upgrade. To my wife I don;t even have the words.

She had the same issue she had to look around me to look ahead, on the LT she seats higher than me and sees the road ahead.

She did NOT feel safe completely leaning backwards on the RT's trunk, she does on the LT. She likes the heated seats, the armrests I installed. She actually asks me to go for a ride where on the RT days she found an excuse NOT to go. I bought my bike with 5500miles so maintenance is something I have not needed entirely yet. Did the 6000 (glorified oil change) myself in 30 minutes. Had all the tuperware off(don't ask me why, wanted to see up under there dang it!!!) in about 20 minutes. I do plan to do half of the work on the 12K(Fluid changes) and let the dealer do the other half(Valves, throttle bodies, brake bleed). But so far with the info on this site the K motor is pretty easy to work with.

I installed my own Autocom, if you can read you can install that. so you will be fine.

I DO NOT see the top heaviness and slow parking lot issues with the LT as most on this site do, I have never dropped mine, I just don't see the problem, takle it as a HEAVY bike and be done with it!!! and the 2005 have an even better dynamics as my 02. Once you get that bike at 80 miles per hour on the interstate, hit the cruise, put your feet up (j-pegs) and pump up the volume you will be in heaven, get off the interstate and hit the twisties and you will amazed on how it can handle.

Have fun. If you ever plan a trip to the north ga mountains and need someone that knows all the roads, PM me.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 9:44 pm

My wife has ridden with me on nearly a dozen bikes in the last few years, she's disliked all of them except the LT. The LT finally got her to ask me to go riding instead of the other way around. If I want to continue to ride two up, I have to keep this bike. That's okay with me, because it's a hella of a lot of fun for just me (when I ride alone) and it handles very well in my opinion - regardless of its size. One of the best bikes ever made in my opinion and I've owned and ridden more bikes than the average bear. It's top heavy and not very polite at stopping speeds for an INexperienced rider, but once you get the hang of it, no problem.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 7:11 am
Gold Supporter

Wife Magnet

Take your wife to the dealer and let her sit on it! Then try to pry her off. This bike is a wife magnet. All I have to do is say I am taking the bike somewhere and she is on it. Sometimes before I am ready to go. It is more comfortable for the passenger then the driver. The LT is a big reason why whenever I take the bike to go somewhere my wife says, “can I come too”? I used to get “that’s ok” or “I have things to do”.

It is top heavy and tipping may be a new experience for you and your wife. It does not do a lot for the confidence level but you have enough experience to respect the low speed stops until you have a level of proficiency. Any new bike has a learning curve and this is no exception. I would leave all the gadgets off to cut down on distractions at first.

Do my own maintenance, heck I do not want to crawl around on the floor. I have a good dealer and for a couple hundred he can handle it.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Decision made, Thanks

Thanks to all of your great advice and with some soul searching I have decided that I will wait until riding season to change mounts. I just can't get past the unknown of how my fiance' and I will like the bike in real world riding, not show room sitting.

We have both sat on this bike and the balance on the 05 is better than my old 85 K. Seat height is also lower which may explain why it doesn't feel any heavier or more top heavy than my old K.

I guess now just suffer through PMS for 4 months and then start looking.

Merry Christmas

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 7:26 am

Talking

Trust me, It will be love at first ride. Your wife will love it. My wife is not a motorcycle person but she still enjoys riding with me, expecially on a weekend type trip. I would not see any reason to pay a big spread for the 06, because I don't know of any earthshaking difference between 05 and 06.
Good luck in your decision. I have owned Harleys,Goldwings, Triuimphs and am now on my 4th BMW and the 05 LT is by far my favorite.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 10:41 am

"Wife magnet".

Yup.. that's the LT... and she doesn't need tatoos, leather or bikini's to ride with you... nice if that's your "thing", but not "necessary".

Enjoy!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in