A Rick Mayer seat Testimonial (basicly a rant) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:50 am Thread Starter

Angry A Rick Mayer seat Testimonial (basicly a rant)

A Rick Mayer Cycle Seat Testimonial

I feel that I should give some background for this story to make more sense. It might help for those that read this to better understand the feelings I have for TT, my bike. Yes, I know that this will not change the world, but though the world wide web, I hope to reach people that are thinking of a Rick Mayer seat and give them a bit of advise. Do not.
I work very hard for my money. Just like the ones of you reading this do. I am not married. No kids. Ok, I am re thinking on how much background info to share. I do HVAC work and until I bought my bike, I would tell others that my tools are my babies. Please respect them. Well, after getting TT, I still tell others that, but it is not as strong, not as much feeling. (Hope the tools are not reading). I love the feel of freedom when I am going down the road. I will not bore you, just insert your own feelings when you are riding.
TT is my second bike. The first one was a lemon and after some talking with BMW NA, they decided the same and stepped up and made things right and made a customer for probably life and a spokesman as well. TT stands for Take Two, and it seems to suit her. I put 6000 miles in the first two months of receiving her. I love my bike and she loves the road. I had the first bike long enough to realize that I am shorter than the average German citizen, and bought the low profile seat to be installed on TT at the dealership before she was delivered. Talk about night and day. Before I was on tiptoes. Did I mention that before this I have ridden about 400 miles on a motorcycle? Period. And yes, I know that I did not do it the right way by working my way up, but I knew that this was the bike for me.
Like I said the feeling of being able to almost flatfoot the bike as great for my riding. But, I had another problem. My hindquarters did not fall in love with the seat at all. I did some research, obvious not enough, but after reading Rick’s Iron Butt Rally story I was pretty sure that he would know how to build a saddle that was comfortable.
Like I mentioned, I work hard and a lot of hours. I averaged 68 hours a week for the year that I bought TT. I received TT March 19 2007. I do not take time off. The company that I work for now makes you takes time off or you lose the time. I took the week off that I bought my bike. I did do some other stuff, but I stayed in town. After getting TT, and riding a lot, I realized that I wanted to ride somewhere for vacation in late 07. After talking it with my boss, decided that Thanksgiving time would be good for work. Works for me as well since I can take off more time and get paid, blah. You get the picture. I have two close friends, Chris and Johnny. They ride, and we started talking and planning. Most thought we were crazy. They don’t ride like we ride. We decided that we wanted to ride from Atlanta GA to AZ. Two weeks. Just us and the road and the sites.
Of course, I knew that I needed a new saddle for the distances. I knew from a 650 mile day that the factory seat would not work. Of course I put it off, and finally contacted Rick Mayer.
Explained to Rick that I was looking for three things. And could, would and did he want to work with these three things.
1 Could Rick work with my deadline? Yes, he could and did. I paid for the seat to be fast shipped to my dealer where TT was getting new shoes and her checkup. The seat arrived the day before we left for the trip. This was planned.
2 The seat had to be comfortable. And in his defense (I am way too nice of a guy, might explain why it seems I am always getting the short end of the straw) the seat is very comfortable. I hate to think of the 5530 miles we did in two weeks without he seat. I did 854 the second day the seat.
3 Ok Mike, seems like you got two out three. What you think that just because you bought a bike you deserve what you want? The third item was that the new seat be like the low profile. And it was not.

Remember the old style bicycle seats where the seat has wings? Now picture a current type of bicycle seat where it is tapered. The low profile seat from BMW is tapered. The factory uses the same base pan as their comfort touch seat; they just remove some foam on the sides so your feet reach the ground better. Rick Mayer of Rick Mayer Cycle explained this to me because I was concerned about using one of his base pans. If I needed to send him the one off the bike or could he use one of his stock pans. It is hard to ride TT without a seat, so this was the best thing to do. Gets the custom seats made, and still ride. Just ship my seats to Rick after he shipped the new ones to me. He charges a deposit that he returns. Well I think he will. I have an email.
The seats that Rick has sent me are like the old style bicycle seats. You sit in a pocket. There are sides (I call them wings). Now I am sitting in a pocket that I have to come up and put my legs down around extra material on the sides in order to reach the ground. Just like I had to do on the comfort touch seat from BMW.
Do you, if you have not clicked your browser back yet, or fallen asleep, se the problem? I asked Rick to build me a seat based on a low profile seat. I sent him an email after we talked, at his request, to make sure he had the order correct. He wanted me to get what I asked for. That is what I thought at the time. I am not sure what to think now. I sent him pictures of my bike, and me sitting on my bike with the low profile seat installed. My dealer never gave me the comfort touch seat (another story). The low profile seat was what I wanted and needed. I am shorter than the average person is. I stand 5’7ish bare foot, almost a towering 5’9” in the boots I ride in. That I was riding in the pictures I sent to Rick. The pictures are the bike, you sitting on the bike on the centerstand, and you sitting on the bike as if you were at a stop. I am almost flatfooted in the pictures without any discomfort in the crouch
I should mention that when I ordered the seat, I ordered the rider’s seat to be customed, the passenger to just be recovered to match. I ordered grey leather. It is a darkish color on the web site. Rick told me he would have his vendor sent me a sample to make sure that I liked the color. He told me this on two different times. I ordered a rain cover. I ordered or paid for fast shipping for the seat because of my waiting almost too long to order the seat. I ordered conditioner for the seats. Rick said that he would give me the conditioner at no charge.
Let’s see. The seat color that showed up is a Very light grey. I never received a sample form the vendor. After the trip, returned the seat to Rick for adjustment and to be recovered in black. Offered to pay the 200 dollars that Rick mentioned, but he told me he would split it with me. I might have misheard the 200 because I was charged 135. Honestly I could be wrong, and at this point, who really cares.
After three shipping’s. I have never received a rain cover.
I did receive the conditioner the second shipping.
After getting the second set of seats, I installed the passenger and passenger backrest. I did not install them for the trip. I had really hard time with the backrest, seemed it was off somewhere. Looked at the one I took off and the one Rick sent me had been repaired. Two of the insert nuts had been replaced. Looked like they were forced into place and melted there. The factory ones slips a bit. Also noticed that the backrest basepan was a bit bend. It is plastic and might have warped some. I am probably the only one to see that the top of it does not fit agsaint the trunk lid like the factory one did. I took mine time putting the backrest on, almost decided to make the holes a bit bigger, but did not because at that point I still thought that Rick was a good guy, and a good saddle maker. I would have called or sent an email but Rick office hours are limited to 6 hours on 4 days. Good luck reaching him during those hours. After I received the third front seat and it still being like the comfort seat, evenso I had by now shipped my low profile seat to Rick so he could see exactly what I wanted and needed, I decided that I would ship everything back to Rick, get my seats back and find someone else. When I was removing the passenger backrest, I found that I had caused pressure cracks on the inside and outside of the trunk lid. I still get a sick feeling just thinking about it. I did receive an email where Rick apologized. I wonder how much that is worth.
After receiving the second seat from Rick that was still not right, I sent Rick an email. I included the original email that recapped the original order, the low profile seat. I received from Rick an email back saying that he could not built the seat just like I wanted to. That there were constraints in the building of the seat and for the price of comfort, I would have to live with being on my tiptoes. I dropped my bike during the trip to AZ. Now 75% of that was my fault, but I would love to try that slope again on my low profile seat.
I also told Rick that I felt that the seat felt just like the low profile seat. I was tempted to remove the sear cover to see if the foam had even been changed. My butt told my brain that the feeling was the same. Rick was very insulted that I would even consider the thought. How dare I tell the guy that is making me seat how it feels?
Also told Rick that in I opinion that the leather was not very good quality. Apparently I do not know fine leather. My Lazy Boy recliner has leather on it. I own a few leather jackets. I do care for leather much to wear, so I wear mesh and such. Rick was very offended that I even tell him that the leather, to this humble HVAC mechanic did not look good. Actually, some of this was in an email, and some was in a conversation.
Rick also told me that he did not design the 800-LB bike I bought, so that I could expect him to fix the height issue. What? The factory has a great fix. It is the low profile seat, just the foam sucks to seat on.
After leaving messages on Rick machine and sending emails and shipping back to Rick his seats, I have asked for a refund and my seats back. Well, I will not be receiving my money back. Seems that he will not refund money back. He is the manufactor so he would have to take the lose. I have told and emailed Rick that I want my seats backs. Not his, mine. The BMW seats. I have contacted two different companies that actually returned emails within a day (one guy on a Sunday no less). I have ordered from my dealer a new low profile seat. I have not a clue if Rick is going to send me my passenger stuff back, so I guess I will have to order them as well.
I do know I have spent around 250 in shipping. 135 for recovering the seats. 355 for another BMW low profile seat. Anyone know how much for a trunk lid? (No comments on this item, something is in the works). I think the seat were like 750 plus the 500 deposit. Have not checked on the passenger backrest and seat…did I mention that I do not ride two up? I have only been riding a year. I hope that Rick does return the deposit as he said he would. The original charge to my card was back in November or October and I will check with my check card company but two months have passed so I doubt that will pan out. And I still do not have a custom seat for my bike. The date is March 22, 2008; I have around 17500 miles on my bike. I have not ridden much in the past few months because of no seat on the bike. I just picked up my new low profile seat from the dealer last weekend. I am working Easter weekend so I can have a three day weekend nest weekend. Doubt I will be riding though. Will have to see if the Bakup backrest holds the rider’s seat a bit better.
You do the math. I will try not to so I do not get any more upset. I would use stronger language but I intend to research the different bikes that Rick makes seats for and submitting this same letter to those forums. I am just one person. I know I will not make a difference. I hope to find a seat maker that will work with me (read KonTour or Bill Mayer). I sent them emails asking if what I wanted was possible to build and them said yes. Maybe I ought to have waited to post this after I chose one. I can see where neither one of them will want to deal with me nor who can blame them. How dare I expect something that I ask you if you can build it, and you tell me you can? But you do not deliver it. You tell me that you did not design the bike I bought? I should consulted with Rick Mayer before buying my motorcycle and not on a seat. Sorry if I am ranting but put yourself in my shoes.
I went to the IMS in Atlanta this year, and met Rick in person. Told the two guys that he was talking to that he can build a great seat. I wonder if I send this email to IMS if they would ask Rick to get another booth, but I am just one person and money talks.
And he can built you a great if you are tall enough. I guess taller than 5’9”. I remember when I was ordering my seat that I was going to ask Rick to put his logo on my seat, emboss it or something. I also remember thinking that heck, if I did such a great job building a seat, you are darn straight that I am putting my name on it. That would explain why Rick does not put his name on the seat. That is my two cents worth, well, I am not doing the math, all I can say is do not deal with this guy where you want something different.
I do not know if this makes any sense, if anyone is still reading. I have kept all the emails I have sent and received dealing with this. I offer these to anyone to see if I am difficult to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:27 am

Re: A Rick Mayer seat Testimonial (basicly a rant)

Sounds like you may have jumped in a little too soon on a "major" mod like a new seat with only 400 miles of experience. There are threads all about seats on this site, check 'em out.

Here is what Russel Day Long Saddles has to say on the topic of seat height. From day-long.com

Seat height....
Q. I've heard that a "Day-Long" Saddle is about an inch higher than my stock seat. Is this always true?

A. I have difficulty relating to the question in terms of inches of seat height....there are just too many variables involved, i.e., are we measuring the surface of the seat while the foam is at rest? or when it's compressed by the rider's weight? Are we measuring relative to the ground? If so, is the bike's suspension compressed by the weight of a normal load? Height measurements taken at different points across the top surface of a "Day-Long" Saddle will normally vary by 1.5 inches or more, at what point are we measuring?, etc.

The real question should not be how high is the seat, rather, "will I be able to reach the ground adequately?" More often than not, especially with a shorter legged rider, ground reach is limited more by the width of the seat than it is by the relative height of the seat. For these reasons, in my opinion, to say one has gained or lost an inch or fraction of an inch in seat height is largely irrelevant.

Because of the design of a "Day-Long" Saddle the rearward part, I call it the "wing" area, of the saddle is quite wide. This is, incidentally, at the very heart of the reason why it can provide so high a degree of riding comfort. The wide "wings" are there to provide outer buttock support so that less body weight will be concentrated toward the center. The forward part of the saddle is made as narrow as the underlying seat pan and motorcycle frame will permit, in other words, about the same width as the stock seat. Because of the ground reach impairment that is imposed by this width factor it is generally unrealistic to expect much if any improvement in ground reach from a "Day-Long" compared to a stock seat.

On the other hand, a rider's ground reach is usually not degraded by the "Day-Long", with this one proviso: It may become necessary, especially for a shorter legged rider, to develop the habit of moving his crotch forward on the saddle so as to straddle it at its narrowest point in order to achieve adequate ground reach. In other words, stand up out of the pocket of the saddle when coming to a stop. Settle back into the pocket again once you're underway.

For sure, we've had some extreme cases, riders with very short inseams, and large, heavy thighs, that we've bought seats back from. A rider's attitude and his kind of riding sometimes has a lot to do with it too. Some customer's have said in effect "I don't care if I can reach the ground or not, I want to be comfortable when I'm going down the road!" Obviously, it would be more of a problem if you only rode in heavy stop and go traffic than it would if you only rode long highway stretches.

But back to your question, no, this is not always true. Remember, each "Day-Long" Saddle is made to order to fit the particular individual rider or riders. For some long legged riders on lower seated bikes we actually increase the seat height in order to achieve better all around posture.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:20 am Thread Starter

I read and understand what you are saying...and I was saying that I bought my bike after riding other bikes for 400 miles or so...I had TT for roughly 9000 miles when I contacted Rick Mayer...I had a little over 10000 when the first seat when on...thanks for the info, I will re read it again so that I understand it better...Like I might have said in the first post...I am so udderly mad...I really wish I could cuss but what would be the point...If Rick had told me this stuff first, I would not be mad, I would have known that we were taking a walk on the wild side...My biggest complaint is that I told Rick what I wanted up front...asked can you build it?..do you want to build it, and he basically sent me what he sends everyone...this is a factory seat, a low profile seat that BMW makes...am I dumb or live in another world or am I the only one that has a low profile factory seat...sorry, I am ranting again and I do not want too...again thanks for the info....Mike

post #4 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:03 pm

I ride with a low height factory seat. I have for 3 years. I have not attempted to replace it. But, have used a combination of removable beads and a removable sheepskin to improve long distance comfort.

I have learned that unless I am local to the company making something custom for me, have the opportunity to sit with them face to face, and try it out, I will not take the time and effort to move in that direction. Too much trouble and too many chances of missing the mark.

From what you are saying, it wouldn't be hard to understand your frustration. That seems to have rubbed off on the seat builder to the point where he will not communicate with you anymore.

I have found you get more bees with honey then vinegar.... Though it takes a major effort when you are really frustrated..

Good luck.
post #5 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:33 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Thumbs down Re: A Rick Mayer seat Testimonial (basicly a rant)

Wow !! That's a total rant alt guy -- Tough way to go through life..
I'm gonna guess this has more to do with the author's need for a medication change than a seat adjustment .........
Come on ... you were all thinking the same !!
post #6 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma

I have learned that unless I am local to the company making something custom for me, have the opportunity to sit with them face to face, and try it out, I will not take the time and effort to move in that direction. Too much trouble and too many chances of missing the mark.
I couldn't agree more. I have a Rick Mayer seat and am happy with it now. That has not always been the case. My seat arrived needing modifications jut to fit on the LT. I called Rick and he was able to talk me through the modifications. It seems like not as much attention was paid to my order as it would have been had I ridden in to have the seat made.

Custom seats, like custom clothing, are not something you can order online or over the telephone without expecting at least some issues.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 2:24 pm

I just completed my first SS 1000 Ironbutt ride yesterday. I have an Rick Mayer seat. I never even thought about the seat accept to note how comfortable it was. But I did a ride in appointment.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I couldn't agree more. I have a Rick Mayer seat and am happy with it now. That has not always been the case. My seat arrived needing modifications jut to fit on the LT. I called Rick and he was able to talk me through the modifications. It seems like not as much attention was paid to my order as it would have been had I ridden in to have the seat made.

Custom seats, like custom clothing, are not something you can order online or over the telephone without expecting at least some issues.
It's like trying to buy a pair of pants on the internet when you don't know what size you wear. Your always going to get a better fit when you can try it on and have the talyor measure you in person.

The problem with someone getting on their and starting a about a dealer or vendor is we only hear one side of the story. Everyone knows that there are three sides to a story right? In this case the customer, the vendor and then the real story somewhere inbetween. Why is it way too many people will go off the deep end to try and drive away business from a vendor when something goes wrong but hardly ever say a word if things go perfect. ????

Well here's my Rick Mayer story over the years (abridged version)
Over the last 8 years I have had Rick fit me and make 4 seats for an LT, 2 Rts and a GS. All leather but one and that was a mistake, Rick tried to warn me but I learned the hard way. Every leather seat has been the highest of quality and with a little care they hold up great year after year. Currently my GS seat is two years old and has been drug through enough dust, dirt and mud under my big butt to have thrown in the white towel. But its still holding up and looks great.
Yes I have received an adjustment on every seat after riding them for a couple of thousand miles. Rick has been very accommodating and gets it right on the money after looking at the seat wear and asking me a few questions. I've had nothing but outstanding service from Rick Mayer Cycle, in fact a Rally this last year. Rick saw my saddle and found a couple a frayed stichs, offered a new cover right there on the spot. I haven't taken him up on it because I don't even notice it. I would recommend Rick to anyone and if you can't make it to CA to have your saddle done. I would carefully order one and after you receive it, take a ride out here and have Rick adjust the seat to your liking.
Just the other side of the coin.
Ride Safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gsseat3.JPG
Views:	772
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	17169  

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #9 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
The problem with someone getting on their and starting a about a dealer or vendor is we only hear one side of the story. Everyone knows that there are three sides to a story right? In this case the customer, the vendor and then the real story somewhere inbetween. Why is it way too many people will go off the deep end to try and drive away business from a vendor when something goes wrong but hardly ever say a word if things go perfect. ????

Well here's my Rick Mayer story over the years
And mine:

My first Mayer seat was built by Rick's dad, Bill. I had to send it back once but then put almost 80,000 miles on it on two bikes. It finally had a little split in the fabric (that's right, Bill talked me out of leather because of the AZ climate, never was sorry) when I sold the RT and the seat. My next Mayer was for my KLR650. Bill had passed away so it was between Rick and his brother Rocky. I chose Rick for his personal touch. The KLR seat is on it's second KLR, going on almost 35,000 miles, looks and rides like new, fits great. The last Mayer was for my FJR1300. I had a little trouble with the expected shipping dates but Rick finally FedX'd it me at his expense. It is a great seat, 44,000 miles now and counting! So as AMARider said, there are two sides to every story. And the original poster took up WAY TOO MUCH bandwidth with his rant (and then to admit that the seat was comfortable!.) But it is a free world. I just have to add my '03 on Rick's behalf.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #10 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Guys, I hear ya, and I cant take my medicine because TT is missing something...I am hoping that I can put the Bakup backrest on her and that will stabilize the rider seat so I can take my medicine...I have not been here much because it hurts to hear of the rides others are having...and as I posted back late nov, the seat was way comfortable, I rode 854 miles in one day with no pain...again, it is notthe seat that we agreed on...what is the point of getting a custom seat and not receiving what you ordered and paid for and asked for...and yes there are two sides to every story....I would love to hear Rick's side...I will take the time in the interest of fairness and post all the emails between Rick and myself if you would care to read them...I am not trying to start anything...just wanted to express my total and udder confustion of asking for a seat based on a low profile seat and not getting what I ordered...the lowe profile seat is perfect, i can reach the ground, I have good control with it, but it seems that I am asking too much...let me know ....ya know, screw this crap....yall love Rick, and I am very glad that you had a good experience...thanks....Mike
post #11 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:44 pm

I Understand your frustration but please don't post any private emails.........

From the Site Guidelines:
What's said behind closed doors stays behind closed doors: Don't air your (or anyone else's) dirty laundry in public. There is absolutely NO NEED to post a private email in a public forum. It is inconsiderate and violates an unsaid trust between you and the sender. Treat private emails the same way you would a telephone call. How would you like your private conversation between you and another member of the group played out on CNN?

Best advice I have ever received is go for a long ride.

Just Ride it
John

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #12 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 5:43 pm
Super Moderator

That's quite a rant. Honestly, all the fluff about how hard you work and how much you value your money is a waste of my time and everyone elses. We all work hard, we all value our money, and to hear you go on and on about yours tells me you think that I don't value mine. I find that a bit condescending and rude. Just what kind of sympathy are you looking for?

I've had Rick Mayer seats on my last 3 bikes and am heading up some to get one made for my new GT. He's made adjustments and even recovered mine when asked, and always did a great job and got me what I needed. I keep going back because he is really good at what he does and in my opinion the best. I've taken or directed a number of friends to him for seats and they've all come away absolutely satisfied. That being said, nobody can provide 100% satisfaction to all customers. That's unfortunate, but since humans are involved in these transactions and subjectivity is the main force at play it's basically impossible to achieve.

So let me get a few things straight -
  • You order a custom seat, put it on the day before a 5000+ mile ride and took off. With no time to make sure it met your needs or to make any adjustments.
  • You found it completely comfortable on this ride, but a little tall and sent it back for adjustments. A bunch of stuff transpired (honestly I can't figure out the details from the amount of stuff you wrote) that basically made you decide to give up on getting the saddle fixed to your desires
  • You asked for a refund, which Rick declined since you were likely outside of his published refund policy - http://www.rickmayercycle.com/guarantee.html
  • Somewhere along the way you accused Rick of cheating you, and he took offense to this.
I've known Rick now for almost 7 years and he has been nothing but accommodating to me, my friends and the folks I know who have his saddles. I would certainly like to hear his side of this, since I know it takes quite a bit to put him to the point of not wanting to work with someone on making a seat right. But, I know it can be done (calling the guy a liar or a cheat is a good way to do that).

My suggestion - Find a saddle make you can ride into his shop and make sure he does EXACTLY what you ask for. From what I can tell you're not going to be happy otherwise.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:38 pm
KKM

I had a Ricky seat on my 03 GT. After two tries to fix it I canceled the card and tore the leather cover of my seat and sent it back to ricky. After the cover was off it was no wonder the seat did not work. What a POS. I than found out about Rocky Mayer his brother. Night and day different in the quality of seats. Had the Rocky seat on till I sold the 03. I have 200 miles on my new GT and will be seeing Rocky soon.
post #14 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmichael
Guys, I hear ya, and I cant take my medicine because TT is missing something...I am hoping that I can put the Bakup backrest on her and that will stabilize the rider seat so I can take my medicine...I have not been here much because it hurts to hear of the rides others are having...and as I posted back late nov, the seat was way comfortable, I rode 854 miles in one day with no pain...again, it is notthe seat that we agreed on...what is the point of getting a custom seat and not receiving what you ordered and paid for and asked for...and yes there are two sides to every story....I would love to hear Rick's side...I will take the time in the interest of fairness and post all the emails between Rick and myself if you would care to read them...I am not trying to start anything...just wanted to express my total and udder confustion of asking for a seat based on a low profile seat and not getting what I ordered...the lowe profile seat is perfect, i can reach the ground, I have good control with it, but it seems that I am asking too much...let me know ....ya know, screw this crap....yall love Rick, and I am very glad that you had a good experience...thanks....Mike

Mike you are fighting a losing battle here.... The Mayer click will defend him to the death..... Never say your going to post an e-mail,, just post it.... The Mayer kids haven't made good seats in 20 years,,, you can do better by just looking in the yellow pages for a upholstery shop..They can do any thing these custom seat guys can do and you can stay right there with them while they knock it out....That is guaranteed satisfaction...........Pete
post #15 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 7:20 pm

petepeterson makes good since. Plus it is difficult to have a seat tailored to your fit over emails and phone calls. I bet a local custom upholstery shop or auto upholstery place could do a great job and do it to your specs. Probably wouldnt take long either. Good luck on everything and I hope it all turns out ok. Also in my opinion if you paid for something and didnt get what you paid for you should be pissed. Only after giving them a reasonable time to correct the problem.
post #16 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Never say your going to post an e-mail,, just post it....
I think you're giving poor advice considering the site guidelines. I can almost give you a 100% promise it will be deleted, it's been done before. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #17 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:26 pm

I am really not sure what your motivation was to post this rant on the site other then to attempt to defame a vendor. I have neither delt with Rick or have met him.

But, coming from someone that makes his living in the mail order business through the internet, and with much repeat business, it is impossible to please everyone.

All you can do is your best with the information that you have. But, when the climate turns to obscenities, defamation of charector and non-civil behavior, it is beyond the reach of a calm person to deal with. One can not resolve a situation with someone that will not deal respectfully and civily.

I am not questioning right or wrong, good or bad, he said / she said, or who has the most points.

But, if it is your goal to accomplish what you want, and have an issue resolved, you must be respectful. Any other alternative will not lead to a successful conclusion, damage or destroy your credibility. People also may not take you seriously..

My suggestion, is to try and get back with Rick and apologize for insulting him and attempt to get the situation rectified in a civil manner. Since this man has been in business for a long time, has a true following with his products, I believe it would be possible to reach him and start over.

Take it for what it is worth...

Good Luck
post #18 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Mike you are fighting a losing battle here.... The Mayer click will defend him to the death..... :rolleyes you can do better by just looking in the yellow pages for a upholstery shop..They can do any thing these custom seat guys can do and you can stay right there with them while they knock it out....That is guaranteed satisfaction...........Pete
These points I can agree with 100 %! Local shops can do the job given you find the right one.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #19 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
These points I can agree with 100 %! Local shops can do the job given you find the right one.
Interesting comment. I haven't found a local shop that will promise that my heated seat will work after they do any modifications to it.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:06 pm

I guess I am just lucky to have a friend in the business.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #21 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Mike you are fighting a losing battle here.... The Mayer click will defend him to the death..... Never say your going to post an e-mail,, just post it.... The Mayer kids haven't made good seats in 20 years,,, you can do better by just looking in the yellow pages for a upholstery shop..They can do any thing these custom seat guys can do and you can stay right there with them while they knock it out....That is guaranteed satisfaction...........Pete
Hi Pete. We are riding on a Rick Meyer seat and like it very much. It is a lot more comfortable than the original and I put 100k on it. Now with over 30 k on the Rick Meyer seat I'll easily go over the 100k on it.

I don't have a dog in the hunt here. I was able to ride in and have Rick do the seat. I watched the process and I couldn't tell you if the "upholstery" shop could do a better job or not. Frankly that argument is a non-starter for me. I wouldn't begin to try to help, or instruct, someone with little or no experience building seats for motorcycles. Not to mention someone that may not even ride a bike let alone want to do 1k miles a day in that seat (something Rick did for 11 days in a row riding the Iron Butt a few years back).

Since there are 4 seat makers (Rick Meyer, Ricks in Seattle, Russel and Ed's Moto) within 8 hours of my house I might try one of each in the next few years, until then I applaud your confidence in seat building and the ability to supervise any old upholstery shop. As a matter of fact why don't you start a mail order business for folks; they can entrust you to supervise the process and guarantee they have a perfect product. Let us know how that works for you.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #22 of 52 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:39 pm

Well I'm one of these other types of people that firmly believe that you should get what you asked and paid for. No exceptions. From what I can see of "the rant" I'd have to say that Rick Mayer didn't follow through with his obligations. Not only that, but his backrest damaged the motorcycle. That tells me a lot about the quality of that particular (but not all of the RM seats) seat.

I've had a day-long seat on my Concours and my RT. The Concours seat was far superior tot he stock seat for long distance, but sucked for short trips. I can't complain about it too much because I bought the seat used. I was close to the original drivers specs or wouldn't have fit me at all. On my RT, I bought a stock seat to replace the day-long. Same feeling. Long trips good idea, short trips around town just plain sucks.

I have no intention of replacing my LT's seat with a day-long. The stocker does well enough. If I do anything, it's be with a local vendor on another seat so my stotcker doesn't get modified.

If I had of had the same experiance, I would have spoken to my credit card company the first time I sent it back for an adjustment so I notified the CC that I may have a problem, but am trying to work it out with the vendor. At the second attempt, I'd just ask for a refund from the vendor and if none were forthcoming, I'd file a claim with my CC requesting a refund of the purchase price with the understanding I was willing to ship the product back. I'd also file a legal claim for damages to fix the top case with a replacement. Faulty workmaship should never be excused.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #23 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:39 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
There ya go, have the guy who can't spell motorcycle take your seat apart, slap some foam and leather on it and hope that you get something supportive and comfortable out of the deal. Why didn't I think of that!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #24 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Well I'm one of these other types of people that firmly believe that you should get what you asked and paid for. No exceptions. From what I can see of "the rant" I'd have to say that Rick Mayer didn't follow through with his obligations. Not only that, but his backrest damaged the motorcycle. That tells me a lot about the quality of that particular (but not all of the RM seats) seat.

I've had a day-long seat on my Concours and my RT. The Concours seat was far superior tot he stock seat for long distance, but sucked for short trips. I can't complain about it too much because I bought the seat used. I was close to the original drivers specs or wouldn't have fit me at all. On my RT, I bought a stock seat to replace the day-long. Same feeling. Long trips good idea, short trips around town just plain sucks.

I have no intention of replacing my LT's seat with a day-long. The stocker does well enough. If I do anything, it's be with a local vendor on another seat so my stotcker doesn't get modified.

If I had of had the same experiance, I would have spoken to my credit card company the first time I sent it back for an adjustment so I notified the CC that I may have a problem, but am trying to work it out with the vendor. At the second attempt, I'd just ask for a refund from the vendor and if none were forthcoming, I'd file a claim with my CC requesting a refund of the purchase price with the understanding I was willing to ship the product back. I'd also file a legal claim for damages to fix the top case with a replacement. Faulty workmaship should never be excused.
Just because you ask your credit card company for a refund doesn't mean you are automatically going to get one. It doesn't work that way. Their process is as follows:

1) They ask you for an explanation of your complaint and only want to hear from you once you have determined that you can not work it out with the vendor

2) Once you file the complaint, they will investigate the situation and determine if the vendor will issue you a refund.. If he will not, he will then be asked to justify his position. If it is reasonable, they will turn your request down !!!

This is a big if.. They follow his stated policies for return that you were made privey to before the purchase to determine if he has followed them. If he has, and has acted reasonably by their interpretation, you loose !!!

It ain't no free lunch and you don't make the final decision. Regardless of the outcome, acting civilly is by far the easiest way of addressing and resolving the issue. No credit card holder is God and just because you pay with a credit card, doesn't mean you hold the trump card (as per the Ts & Cs of the credit card merchant agreement and your card holder agreement).

If you have paid for the merchandise, have signed for the merchandise and it is received, and the documentation supports the purchase (all the other stuff is beside the point), and the vendor has proven his attempts to work with you has been reasonable, they will tell you take a hike...
post #25 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 9:49 am

Actually, if you start early enough in the process and can prove defective merchandise (like the damage caused to his motorcycle trunk) as a running process his stated return policy means nothing and you can get your money back. I know because I've done it before.

The key is to report the problem so it is on record as soon as possible. You have to file a claim within 60 ~ 90 days in most cases which is why it is import to get that initial claim/statement in to the credit card.

Furthermore, small claims court doesn't care about any of the time constraints or vendor policies. If you can prove defective merchandise, you can often win your court case. It only cost about $20 to file in small claims and can do so without a lawer. You file in your home state too! Sometimes, just going through the motions can effect a refund from the vendor.

The bottom line for me is you can sit there and do nothing and waste your money, or you can put up a fight for it. Win or lose at least you have done (tried to anyway) something about addressing the problem and obtaining a refund.

post #26 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:37 am

Talk to your CC company and also file with the BBB in his area.
post #27 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:10 am

HOLY S&^%... A storm for what reason?

I did what any person considering a substantial upgrade should do. Try it out... There has to be someone else around you that has a R. Mayer seat. I found someone who did have one, sat on the damn thing and made my decision based on that.

It's funny, but a large portion of my the decisions on my enhancements have been made while reviewing what others have to say about the item. I talk to others... I listen to what they tell me... I try the enhancement out... I make my own decision.

And I sure as hell don't want the enhancement to be installed the day before I take off on a trip.

Sorry... Can't feel you here... I love my R. Mayer. More importantly, the SO loves her portion of the R. Mayer. I would recommend R. Mayer seats to anyone, but only after that person has had a chance to sit in it, talk one-on-one with the owner of it and understand that it will only be as good as your research.

'nuff said...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #28 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
I did what any person considering a substantial upgrade should do. Try it out... There has to be someone else around you that has a R. Mayer seat. I found someone who did have one, sat on the damn thing and made my decision based on that.
While that may have worked for you, it isn't going to work for everyone. His seats are "custom", and the poster had asked for something different from others. He did say it was comfortable but NOT made to the agreed upon specs (lower seat) AND that the seat back he got was made from a damaged uint that further damaged his ride. For a true custom job you can really only ask others that have the product if it was made to their specs and if it is comfortable. After that, you can only hope that if/when you get your's done it will live up to the reports and be as you specified.
post #29 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Actually, if you start early enough in the process and can prove defective merchandise (like the damage caused to his motorcycle trunk) as a running process his stated return policy means nothing and you can get your money back. I know because I've done it before.

The key is to report the problem so it is on record as soon as possible. You have to file a claim within 60 ~ 90 days in most cases which is why it is import to get that initial claim/statement in to the credit card.

Furthermore, small claims court doesn't care about any of the time constraints or vendor policies. If you can prove defective merchandise, you can often win your court case. It only cost about $20 to file in small claims and can do so without a lawer. You file in your home state too! Sometimes, just going through the motions can effect a refund from the vendor.

The bottom line for me is you can sit there and do nothing and waste your money, or you can put up a fight for it. Win or lose at least you have done (tried to anyway) something about addressing the problem and obtaining a refund.
Arthur the key word here is "PROVE" and what constitutes proof. My real point here is if you try to communicate civily, this should be unnecessary. Everyone seems to like to fight !!! Sure, you can sue.. But, reason works alot better.
post #30 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I think you're giving poor advice considering the site guidelines. I can almost give you a 100% promise it will be deleted, it's been done before. JM2CW
Hmmm!! Sorry I must have missed your credentials being an expert on giving poor advice...... Your signature so long I confuse it with your post sometimes..... Guidelines..... just that guidelines,,,, do you need a definition on that??????????? .......Pete
post #31 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Quote:
The Mayer kids haven't made good seats in 20 years,,, you can do better by just looking in the yellow pages for a upholstery shop..They can do any thing these custom seat guys can do and you can stay right there with them while they knock it out...
Ummmm... No.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16160

I think the Mayer seat is +1. I stood over his shoulder and was an active participant in the creation of the seat.

And I have a Barca Lounger on my patio that is a testament to the lack of expertise in those local upholstery studios.

I'm with Dave Taylor...

"There ya go, have the guy who can't spell motorcycle take your seat apart, slap some foam and leather on it and hope that you get something supportive and comfortable out of the deal. Why didn't I think of that!"

If you get a chance, read what Silver Buffalo had to say about his R. mayer experience. That post was one of the reasons I choose the R. Mayer seat.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8521

'nuff said...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #32 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 5:48 pm

I have a Rick Mayer seat and I love it. I also ordered by email, along with pictures and got a seat I've put over 80k on so far and it's still awesome. The leather is like butter it's so soft, and has held up better than I expected. Sounds to me like what you have here is a failure to communicate (hmm, I've heard that line somewhere before??? ) Rather than trash his reputation, give him the chance to make it right with you.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #33 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Arthur the key word here is "PROVE" and what constitutes proof. My real point here is if you try to communicate civily, this should be unnecessary. Everyone seems to like to fight !!! Sure, you can sue.. But, reason works alot better.
Once more proof is easy. Its called a picture of the damage. And don't give me any BS about it. The method works just fine. I've used it as have others. The key point to covering yourself to get your money back is to start with the CC as soon as possible. Once you have started, they will not close the case until a resolution has been completed (one way or the other).

As for civil communications, when a vendor stops talking to you or just keeps shipping the same merchandise that didn't meet the agreed upon specifications, it's time for civil communications to stop and civil suits (really just legal action in most case - i.e. see a lawer and have him submit a letter of restitution and go from there) to start unless they issue a prompt refund. It's

I will talk civil with any vendor until they stop trying to solve the problem or fail to issue a refund. But I will not give them chance after chance to do so either. I expect prompt results the first time I send back the product. I provide a clear statement as to what is wrong and each item should be properly addresed by the vendor. If they fail to do so, then they don't want to fix the problem and I proceed on that basis. In court and with the CC, written documentation is key to getting results. Phone calls are not, unless you record them. And I've been known to do that too. It's amazing how the tone of someone changes when you inform them you are recording the conversation.

post #34 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Once more proof is easy. Its called a picture of the damage. And don't give me any BS about it. The method works just fine. I've used it as have others. The key point to covering yourself to get your money back is to start with the CC as soon as possible. Once you have started, they will not close the case until a resolution has been completed (one way or the other).

As for civil communications, when a vendor stops talking to you or just keeps shipping the same merchandise that didn't meet the agreed upon specifications, it's time for civil communications to stop and civil suits (really just legal action in most case - i.e. see a lawer and have him submit a letter of restitution and go from there) to start unless they issue a prompt refund. It's

I will talk civil with any vendor until they stop trying to solve the problem or fail to issue a refund. But I will not give them chance after chance to do so either. I expect prompt results the first time I send back the product. I provide a clear statement as to what is wrong and each item should be properly addresed by the vendor. If they fail to do so, then they don't want to fix the problem and I proceed on that basis. In court and with the CC, written documentation is key to getting results. Phone calls are not, unless you record them. And I've been known to do that too. It's amazing how the tone of someone changes when you inform them you are recording the conversation.
Legal action should always be a last resort in my opinion. I think you missed the whole point of my message. I always seem to get more bees with honey then vinagar.. But, I guess you disagree with that. But, you are entitled. Guess the attorneys need to make money also.
post #35 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Legal action should always be a last resort in my opinion. I think you missed the whole point of my message. I always seem to get more bees with honey then vinagar.. But, I guess you disagree with that. But, you are entitled. Guess the attorneys need to make money also.
Legal action shoul.d never be a last resort. It's part of the US business model. When a vendor fails to comply or deliver the agreed upon product I give one chance to correct it, then start in with the CC company. If there is a problem there, I go right to the lawyers.

It's really simple. If a vendor truely wants to "make it right" they will do so the first time. If they don't do it the first time, it is unlikely they are going to do it at all. Instead they have a tendency to stall so they can get you past the time you can return it (policy on their web page or store) or past the time you can contest it on your CC. I will not play that game. Not any more. I've already learned my lesson.

I've also truthfully been surprised by my BMW dealer (of San Diego). Their return policy is 30 days. Returned (refunded) or exchanged for ANY reason. I bought a pair of boots form them after trying on three different sizes. I choose the smallest size as they felt best. But after getting off the motorcycle I realized they were too small and exchanged them for the next larger size. They didn't even ask for my receipt though I had it with me. That is an outstaning return/exchange policy that I have never encountered anywhere else.

post #36 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Quote:

I feel that I should give some background for this story to make more sense. It might help for those that read this to better understand the feelings I have for TT, my bike.
Rant. I'll give you a rant......

Over the years I've gotten used to members naming their bikes - I don't understand it - but I quietly accept it.

You on the other hand, have taken it to it's extreme. You've named your bike, given it a gender and refer to it by name throughout your post. Not only does this silly practice make your post hard to read it destroys what ever credibility your post might have.

Bruce Hodges
post #37 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 8:34 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Rant. I'll give you a rant......

Over the years I've gotten used to members naming their bikes - I don't understand it - but I quietly accept it.

You on the other hand, have taken it to it's extreme. You've named your bike, given it a gender and refer to it by name throughout your post. Not only does this silly practice make your post hard to read it destroys what ever credibility your post might have.

Bruce Hodges
Good call Bruce. I was thinking the same thing

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #38 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Legal action shoul.d never be a last resort. It's part of the US business model. When a vendor fails to comply or deliver the agreed upon product I give one chance to correct it, then start in with the CC company. If there is a problem there, I go right to the lawyers.

It's really simple. If a vendor truely wants to "make it right" they will do so the first time. If they don't do it the first time, it is unlikely they are going to do it at all. Instead they have a tendency to stall so they can get you past the time you can return it (policy on their web page or store) or past the time you can contest it on your CC. I will not play that game. Not any more. I've already learned my lesson.

I've also truthfully been surprised by my BMW dealer (of San Diego). Their return policy is 30 days. Returned (refunded) or exchanged for ANY reason. I bought a pair of boots form them after trying on three different sizes. I choose the smallest size as they felt best. But after getting off the motorcycle I realized they were too small and exchanged them for the next larger size. They didn't even ask for my receipt though I had it with me. That is an outstaning return/exchange policy that I have never encountered anywhere else.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
post #39 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
refer to it by name throughout your post.
Others on here do the same thing but I've not heard anyone take issue with them.
post #40 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Quote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
I guess we will, but that's a good thing. Everyone should be able to voice their opinion and make thier own choices.

PS: I have to agree that naming a motorcycle, GPS, etc. is right up there with naming a vital piece of male anatomy. Not something I will ever do and understanding why people do it is something I'll never be able to figure out.

post #41 of 52 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Must be cabin fever, all this arguing?

Bob 0h Oh LT

Voting for a politician is like buying a bag of potato chips. You know when you open it, it will be half empty. And, half of the chips will be broken, resting in a mess residing at the bottom.
post #42 of 52 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:25 am

Quote:
The Mayer click will defend him to the death.....
Sweet! As a bonus for liking my R. Mayer saddle, I get to be part of a clique now!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #43 of 52 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:51 am

Quote:

I had really hard time with the backrest, seemed it was off somewhere. Looked at the one I took off and the one Rick sent me had been repaired. Two of the insert nuts had been replaced. Looked like they were forced into place and melted there. The factory ones slips a bit. Also noticed that the backrest basepan was a bit bend.
Think I would have stopped right there...as the installer of the product, you have some responsibility in ensuring you do not do any damage while installing a particular product. If the product you are installing doesn't seem right, STOP! Did you call the vendor and voice concerns over these issues at this point?

That said...

It's true, you should get what you want and pay for.
It is also true civility is more likely to bring positive results, at least in my experience.
It is further true that I have never seen a post that long in my life, but I read it anyway.
Would it deter me from using this vendor if I ever wanted a custom seat? Probably not.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #44 of 52 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 3:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
It is also true civility is more likely to bring positive results, at least in my experience.
You've never delt with Whirlpool corp. About the only way to get any action out of them is to threaten to sue.
post #45 of 52 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 1:58 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Holy shit! Yes, a LONG, LONG, rant. Well, if we go line by line, cutting out the fluff, let's see if we can make heads or tails of this mess:
Quote:
....1. Could Rick work with my deadline? Yes, he could and did. I paid for the seat to be fast shipped to my dealer where TT was getting new shoes and her checkup. The seat arrived the day before we left for the trip....2. The seat had to be comfortable. And in his defense....the seat is very comfortable....3. The third item was that the new seat be like the low profile. And it was not.

....The seats that Rick has sent me are like the old style bicycle seats. You sit in a pocket. There are sides (I call them wings). Now I am sitting in a pocket that I have to come up and put my legs down around extra material on the sides in order to reach the ground. Just like I had to do on the comfort touch seat from BMW.

....I asked Rick to build me a seat based on a low profile seat. I sent him an email after we talked, at his request, to make sure he had the order correct. He wanted me to get what I asked for. That is what I thought at the time.
The seat was received in a timely manner and is VERY comfortable. BUT, has you sitting higher than you would like.
Quote:
....I ordered grey leather. It is a darkish color on the web site. Rick told me he would have his vendor sent me a sample to make sure that I liked the color....I ordered a rain cover....I ordered conditioner for the seats....

The seat color that showed up is a very light grey. I never received a sample form the vendor. After the trip, returned the seat to Rick for adjustment and to be recovered in black. Offered to pay the 200 dollars that Rick mentioned, but he told me he would split it with me....I was charged $135....I have never received a rain cover. I did receive the conditioner the second shipping.
The seat color was lighter than you prefer (due to not "proofing" first). Exchanged for a darker color for $135. Received conditioner BUT not rain cover.
Quote:
After getting the second set of seats, I installed the passenger and passenger backrest....I had really hard time with the backrest, seemed it was off somewhere. Looked at the one I took off and the one Rick sent me had been repaired. Two of the insert nuts had been replaced. Looked like they were forced into place and melted there. The factory ones slips a bit. Also noticed that the backrest basepan was a bit bent. It is plastic and might have warped some. I am probably the only one to see that the top of it does not fit against the trunk lid like the factory one did. I took my time putting the backrest on, almost decided to make the holes a bit bigger, but did not....
The second set of seats were defective, resulting in difficulty mounting them. BUT, you did not address this with Rick AND mounted them anyway.
Quote:
After I received the third front seat....(it was still to high)....I had, by now, shipped my low profile seat to Rick so he could see exactly what I wanted and needed....I decided that I would ship everything back to Rick, get my seats back and find someone else.

When I was removing the passenger backrest, I found that I had caused pressure cracks on the inside and outside of the trunk lid....

After receiving the second seat from Rick that was still not right, I sent Rick an email. I included the original email that recapped the original order, the low profile seat. I received....an email....saying that he could not built the seat just like I wanted....there were constraints in the building of the seat and for the price of comfort, I would have to live with being on my tiptoes....
You shipped Rick the low seat as an exemplar to see what he could do for you. You then changed your mind and decided you wanted your money and original BMW seats back. Rick tells you that he may not be able to build the exact seat you want.

You found damage to your trunk lid created by the defective seats. BUT, you did not address the defective seats with Rick at the time of occurance. You went ahead and mounted them anyway.
Quote:
I....told Rick that....the seat felt just like the low profile seat. I was tempted to remove the sear cover to see if the foam had even been changed. My butt told my brain that the feeling was the same. Rick was very insulted that I would even consider the thought. How dare I tell the guy that is making my seat how it feels?

I also told Rick....that the leather was not very good quality....
So now the "very comfortable" seat had not really been reworked at all? The leather quality is now suspect, also.
Quote:
After leaving messages on Rick's machine and sending emails and shipping back....his seats, I have asked for a refund and my seats back. I will not be receiving my money back....I have told and emailed Rick that I want my seats backs....The BMW seats.

....I have ordered....a new low profile seat. I have not a clue if Rick is going to send me my passenger stuff back, so I guess I will have to order them as well.

....I....have spent around $250 in shipping. $135 for recovering the seats. $355 for another BMW low profile seat. Anyone know how much for a trunk lid?....the seats were like $750 plus the $500 deposit. Have not checked on the passenger backrest and seat….
Once you told Rick that you wanted your money back, he stopped working with you.
Quote:
....You do the math....
$1,635 for the custom seat. Plus another $355 for a second BMW seat (PLUS a new trunk lid, PLUS a second passenger seat and backrest).
Quote:
....I hope to find a seat maker that will work with me (read KonTour or Bill Mayer). I sent them emails asking if what I wanted was possible to build?....They said "yes."
Mike, don't EVEN THINK of doing business with the next seat vendor via mail. Your seat needs are so specific that you need to do business in PERSON ONLY. No matter how long that takes. The seat builder needs to be able to see how your feet are positioned when sitting on your low BMW seat so that he can assess if he can build a custom seat with the same low height. Once your custom seat is finished, you need to be able to "proof" it on the spot, making sure that EVERYTHING is EXACTLY to your liking (including your trunk lid not being damaged).

Plan a trip to the custom builder and have him do both removal and install. If that takes several days, well I guess you'll be staying at a nearby motel. Now, you're right, this could get real expensive, real fast! BUT, you'll enjoy a great ride AND be assured of a custom seat EXACTLY to your spec's. The grief you save will be well worth the extra time and expense!

Based on your detailed transaction history, I can't say that either you or Rick are being unreasonable. It does sound like you're both frustrated over this job, however....Which leads to the "hardball."

BTW, don't ask me why I stopped doing "custom" jobs via mail.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #46 of 52 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:43 am

Quote:
I have received quality service/product from Bill Mayer, SR., Rick, and Russell Day Long. Of my last two saddles, Rick built one and Russell the other. My criteria was delivery time frame as I feel they are equal, at least for my purposes.
post #47 of 52 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:35 pm

I'm sorry you had the trouble with the seat. I guess I got lucky. I recieved my Ricky Seat the night before I left for Hyder last year and fearing the worst I tied the stock seat on the top of my little trailer and took it with me.
The first day was not as comfortable as I would have hoped, but I really didn't think of it again until the 9th day and that was to consider the fact that I hadn't thought of it since the first day. I consider the seat to be one of the best investments I have made since I started riding. It is a hair taller than the stock seat, but that just lets me see over the shield a little better. (5'9")

I hope you find something that satisfies you. You're not going to ride as much if you are not comfortable.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #48 of 52 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 6:32 pm

I, too, mounted my full leather Rick Meyer seat the evening before my
3600 mile trip. The first day was 600 miles across the desert and into the mountains and the seat was great. I forgot about it for the rest of the trip.
Then I met Rick at CCR in Breckenridge. He asked to see me sit on the bike
and made a few suggestions for some small modifications. I sent him the seat
and he returned it to me promptly and for no additional charge. I have had other makers custom seats on my touring bikes for years and Rick and his seats are the best for me. I have referred friends to him and they also love his work.

This subject has come up on the board before. I don't think there is a final
answer. I just know that Rick is a great guy and what he offers is his reputation, his longevity in the business, and his countless pleased customers.
We should all be so fortunate in our own affairs.
post #49 of 52 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

This started out as a response to a PM from a forum member about the link to my Ricky experience,
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8521
that particular post is about two years old and doesn't really tell the "whole story"
I've responded to several RM threads since then with alternate opinions.

This is by no means intended to "defame" Rick,
I tell it like it is and own up when I'm wrong,
I like the guy but........

Rick Mayer is not always an easy guy to deal with and in my opinion even though he's a hell of a nice guy "in person" he's not always a very good "business man"

The guys on the forum convinced me to get an RM seat.
I was very unhappy when it arrived,

quality of construction was poor and the leather was in my opinion "scrap" not at all what I expected for $750.

With each e-mail and telephone call our relationship deteriorated
(you probably already read that part)

when I rode to his shop in California he was a great guy and did a fantastic job repairing the seat
(so I know he can make an excellent seat, (if he want's to)
and I think that's the key phrase.

Rick knows "which side his bread is buttered on" and really takes care of his ride in customers and his loyal California friends,
I don't think (just my opinion) he put's a lot of effort into his mail order work.

Shortly (just a few weeks) after he redid the seat on my 2002 LT
I totaled the bike when we hit an Elk in Idaho,

after some recuperation I bought a 2005 LT from a forum member,
it also came with an RM seat and again I wasn't happy with it,

rode it for a season and sent it back to be redone with high expectations.

Again I was disappointed, he did only some of what I had asked
and only moderately improved the comfort.

I pulled the staples out of the bottom and removed the cover myself
(he used rivets when I did my ride-in)

I'll be honest there isn't anything special under that cover,
he took the stock foam cut it in a few places,
glued some wings to it and layed an inch of high density blue foam on top of it,
that's about it,

the leather and the stitching and "piping" looks pretty nice but that's also where the discomfort comes from.

This has been a pretty "longwinded" answer to your question "how do I deal with Rick? and that's because there is no "short answer"

Other than do a ride-in.

I still think he's a great guy and is very capable of building a great seat especially if you're at his shop.

Unfortunately it seems the mail order experience doesn't always have a happy ending.

For me that's just not practical and I probably won't be buying any more seats from him.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #50 of 52 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo

I still think he's a great guy and is very capable of building a great seat especially if you're at his shop.

Unfortunately it seems the mail order experience doesn't always have a happy ending.

For me that's just not practical and I probably won't be buying any more seats from him.
I really couldn't agree more. I ordered a seat over the net and had problems mounting it. I called him and explained the problem and was disappointed at his response. He blamed the problem on the guys in the shop and said that he would talk with them about it but there was really no apology or offer to make it right. I didn't pay the guys in the shop $750 for the seat and thought he should step up and at least acknowledge the problem. Reading through the posts there seems to be two completely different experiences, those that rode in and had the seat fitted are very happy. Those that ordered over the phone or the net are usually disappointed.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in