Intercom question. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Question Intercom question.

We just picked up an '08 LT in blue, thanks to some good advice on this forum. She's a beaut!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33396

One question though. It must be me because the intercom can't suck this bad. We had an Autocom on our RT and worked GREAT. With the built in BMW intercom on the LT we have a hard time hearing each other on the freeway and when we stop our conversation, there is this loud static sound that lasts for 5 seconds or so and then stops and the music resumes. This only happens on the freeway and not on local roads for some reason. This also happens the same with no music playing, the 5 seconds of static. Also, when we initiate a conversation it starts at a much higher volume than the rest of the conversation.

Any of you seasoned LT owners have some advice on settings/tips or is this just the way it is the the LT intercom?

Thanks

2008 1200LT
2007 G650 xChallenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:46 pm

Re: Intercom question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedree
We just picked up an '08 LT in blue, thanks to some good advice on this forum. She's a beaut!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33396

One question though. It must be me because the intercom can't suck this bad. We had an Autocom on our RT and worked GREAT. With the built in BMW intercom on the LT we have a hard time hearing each other on the freeway and when we stop our conversation, there is this loud static sound that lasts for 5 seconds or so and then stops and the music resumes. This only happens on the freeway and not on local roads for some reason. This also happens the same with no music playing, the 5 seconds of static. Also, when we initiate a conversation it starts at a much higher volume than the rest of the conversation.

Any of you seasoned LT owners have some advice on settings/tips or is this just the way it is the the LT intercom?

Thanks

My 06 LT has none of your concerns. Take a moment and carefully read the instruction manual. The crackling noise is something else though. Check for dirt in the plug connectors or faulty /problem with headset. After that have the dealer check since it's under warranty.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joe. I went to 2 dealers. 1 yesterday and 1 today. They both tested it out in the parking lot. Probably not the best way though. I just checked the conectors and they look clean. I think something else is wrong. Hopefully not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
My 06 LT has none of your concerns. Take a moment and carefully read the instruction manual. The crackling noise is something else though. Check for dirt in the plug connectors or faulty /problem with headset. After that have the dealer check since it's under warranty.

2008 1200LT
2007 G650 xChallenge

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:29 pm

I also have a 2008 LT with similar intercom symptoms. I believe that the 5 seconds of out of nowhere static is the vox initiating the system from wind noise. I have my vox set to 3, but I'll be raising it to 4 or 5 to see if I can cure that problem. I also had an autocom on my RS and found it clearer at highway speeds. That first loud burst when you start a conversation makes you jump until you get used to it.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:22 am Thread Starter

That's the exact problem we are having. I have the VOX set to 3 right now. I tried 4 and 5 but it wasn't sensitive enough to activate.

Kinda frustrating considering the price of these headsets alone was $500 and the Autcom only cost $300 total.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccodavj
I also have a 2008 LT with similar intercom symptoms. I believe that the 5 seconds of out of nowhere static is the vox initiating the system from wind noise. I have my vox set to 3, but I'll be raising it to 4 or 5 to see if I can cure that problem. I also had an autocom on my RS and found it clearer at highway speeds. That first loud burst when you start a conversation makes you jump until you get used to it.

2008 1200LT
2007 G650 xChallenge
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Any other advice?

2008 1200LT
2007 G650 xChallenge
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 4:22 pm

That loud static you here is the VOX keeping the mike open when you finish talking. You have it set too sensitive. Set the Vol 1/2 way and the VOX to zero. Tinker from there.

For best results at hwy speed we turn the VOX sensitivity to it's lowest setting. Have to hold the PTT button more but the static is gone. For even better results, set the Vol a little lower and speak up a little louder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in