Rear Brake Disk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Rear Brake Disk

Hi, Ive noticed that the rear brake disk has become loose.Has this happened to anyone else. I know that there are two or three retaining screws holding the disk onto the shaft.Do I need to buy new screws when replacing them. Is it as simple as taking it off and tightning them.
Any comments welcome
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:28 pm

Re: Rear Brake Disk

Paul, I assume you are talking of the "Cowbell" effect on the rear disc. While I am far from an expert, I believe that the rear disc needs to be replaced, the bolts go through rivets and they (the rivets) tend to work loose, which causes the "Cowbell" effect.

I replaced mine with an "EBC" rear replacement disc, I believe about half the price of OEM, and works very well, I also replaced pads at the same time.

Search site FAQ for instructions on "How" to do the work of changing it out, The abs ring needs to be moved ovet to the new rotor. This can be a challenge, so instructions will be very helpful.

HTH,

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:38 pm

yes it needs replaced if you don't like the cowbell, otherwise keep on riding. I tried to replace mine with an EBC rotor and after 3 rotors sent to my house and returned I gave up on EBC. Every disc I got from them was out of spec. The disc's were not warped but rather different thicknesses around the disc.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
yes it needs replaced if you don't like the cowbell, otherwise keep on riding. I tried to replace mine with an EBC rotor and after 3 rotors sent to my house and returned I gave up on EBC. Every disc I got from them was out of spec. The disc's were not warped but rather different thicknesses around the disc.
What did you end up going with if not EBC? Back to BMW? I need to pull the trigger on something. How long ago was this? Thanks

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
What did you end up going with if not EBC? Back to BMW? I need to pull the trigger on something. How long ago was this? Thanks
I still have the cowbell. Play is not as bad as it sounds. I don't see the disc failing anytime soon.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 1:07 pm

The rear disk is a "floating" disk. Per my dealer, a little play should be ok.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 1:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
I still have the cowbell. Play is not as bad as it sounds. I don't see the disc failing anytime soon.
Do keep an eye on it. I had gotten used to my cowbell, but when they did the clutch on my LT it had gotten so bad that the disk had started wearing a groove into the swing arm. A new EBC rotor and pads solved it for me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 1:48 pm

You'd have to search, but I seem to recall a little RTV Silicone works to silence it. It provides some dampining of noise and still flexibility.

Make sure the surfaces are clean + dry and I would recommend leaving it 24 hours to cure.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in