Odyssey battery life - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:39 am Thread Starter

Odyssey battery life

My Odyssey 680 is almost 5 years old, have never had a problem with it, but am thinking I might need to replace as PM measure prior to the hot summer months. Any opinions?

Lloyd Morris
Denton TX
MOA member 25 years
1999 K1200LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:56 am

Re: Odyssey battery life

My 680 would have probably lasted forever, but every time I started my bike, it would crank slow. On cold winter mornings, it was more slow. So finally, after about four years, I replaced it with the Westco which has a higher amperage rating.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
My 680 would have probably lasted forever, but every time I started my bike, it would crank slow. On cold winter mornings, it was more slow. So finally, after about four years, I replaced it with the Westco which has a higher amperage rating.
Was reading comments on the Panasonic battery. Better amperage rating and seems to hold up well. However, I like my 680; the lower amperage hasn't been an issue (yet!).

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:03 pm

I think you can get a couple more years out of it without fear of being stranded if you ride the bike every week or keep a charger like the Battery Tender Plus plugged in at all times.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:18 am

Smile Re: Odyssey battery life

I've had my 680 since 2002 with a battery tender and it still cranks up everytime. (i probably just jinxed myself!!!)
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:12 am

I still have the original battery in my 02' with the charger on at all times when not on the road. I wonder how long I have with this one?

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:44 am

I'm not trying to get anyone to prematurely change out their battery and I have absolute no connections to any battery manufacturer. Just relating my personal experiences and observations.

I kept my original battery constantly on the charger and rode my LT on a daily basis. It lasted just over 3 years. I first noticed a problem with the battery when it started cranking more slowly and the radio would occasionally not come back on after starting. The only short term fix was to pull the negative lead off of the battery and reset the Motronic. I replaced it with a Panasonic battery for half the price of the OEM or Odyssey. I have had the Panasonic for just over a year and a half and recently returned from a trip where the LT sat for 4 days off the tender with the alarm on and it started right up with no problems. The higher temperatures in our area may have something to do with shorter lifetimes.

The Odyssey is certainly a fine battery, it just seems to be overpriced for what you get when compared to other batteries of similar construction (many of which have higher capacities).

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in