While I'm in there... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:38 am Thread Starter

While I'm in there...

I just learned the 24K service my previous owner had done before I bought it did not include the coolant, brake, and clutch flush! So, it sounds like I need to take everything apart again and do those items. While I'm in there, what else should I do?
K12LT with 23k miles!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: While I'm in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
I just learned the 24K service my previous owner had done before I bought it did not include the coolant, brake, and clutch flush! So, it sounds like I need to take everything apart again and do those items. While I'm in there, what else should I do?
K12LT with 23k miles!
Were the fuel & air filters changed?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Yes, those were done! That amazes me, for $800+ they did air filter, fuel filter, valve adjust, but no fluids, not even oils!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes, those were done! That amazes me, for $800+ they did air filter, fuel filter, valve adjust, but no fluids, not even oils!
No excuse but actually the fluids are easy. You have to pull the tupperware and gas tank off to get to the gas (inside the tank) and air filters (under the tank)---lotsa labor.
Go to CLICK FOR Lube Oils and here for ABS Flush if you have an 02 or later for ABS.

Another good source for maintenance are the Paul Sayegh Videos I bought a set last year and even for removing the wheels for tire changes he gives step-by-step directions.
Polish up your wrenches!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 5 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:56 am

Quote:
Really not that unusual if the owner did the fluids themselves and had the dealer do the rest of the services. The items you mentioned - coolant, brake and clutch fluids - are part of the annual services, not the mileage based services. If you went in and asked for a 24K, those would not be done. However, the dealer would have to be specifically asked not to do the engine, trans and rear oils. Can't tell you what the situation was there.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in