Toe Draggin' - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:38 pm Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Toe Draggin'

I've installed the Suburban peg lowering brackets on my LT and have been ridin' - about a hundred miles or so around home. I dragged my toes today, not sure about these! I keep putting my feet on the brackets and have to remember to put them down on the pegs. I'm not real comfortable with the boots on the pavement...what do you guys think? My legs do feel like they are where they should be. Did you adjust to them eventually?

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Toe Draggin'

I don't have the lowering kit but I have dragged a toe a few times. I have to remember to get my heels unlocked from the peg and get on the balls of my feet in the twisties. Then I don't drag the toes.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
Did you adjust to them eventually?
In a sense yes... I removed them. I was not comfortable with the dragging, especially 2-up.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:05 pm

Yup.

You'll adjust to them. Balls of your boots on the pegs, so that the pegs drag.

For a while, I had great FUN pushing on the peg as it dragged.

I often wondered if I could find something to make nice sparks for night time corners?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:28 pm

Exclamation Danger, Will Robinson!!!

After installing the footpeg lowering brackets, I was riding in the mountains of northern GA and I dragged pegs so badly that I lifted the rear tire off the road. That was literally the most scary feeling I ever experienced while riding the LT. I INSTANTLY pulled over and uninstalled those things. They're great for the super-slab ... but forget about it in the twisties. That is, if you ride at all like I do. They are a sure recipe for disaster.

I have pics if anyone needs me to verify my story.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:43 pm

I also scared myself with them. They don't bend back like and drag like a regular peg. The lower chunk of alumin that the peg is attached to moves back and the bottom corner of it digs into the pavement and hikes the rear wheel off the ground! When I put the Ohlins on I put the pegs back on just to see the diff and it is much better but the bike is an inch or more higher also. Don't know if I will keep them on but i know that when they are on I am concerned about aggressive riding.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:04 am

I drug my toes, too. I took them off and sold them to someone else........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #8 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:15 am

yeah.. so, when "cornering", I just slide my foot back about an inch.. no problem.. the "extra step is now "automatic"... and I'm very comfortable.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:27 am

I was dragging the bottoms of my boots with the st'd pegs so I never wanted to consider lowering them even further. You could use one of the addon pegs for highway riding.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:16 am

I never had them, but I was used to my LT. A friend had them and he let me try his bike out. I dragged them in the twisties, without even pushing hard.

If you like riding the twisties, I would do without them.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #11 of 18 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:26 am
jsr

Don't know what you have for shocks and pre-load adjustment, but once I put the Ohlins on, the problem was greatly reduced. Still will catch the toe, but with a 12 1/2 foot and the legs at the angle a person with a 38" in-seam would have, I can almost hit the toe in straight riding. When it rubs, lift it up or move the foot back on the peg.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #12 of 18 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-daug
I've installed the Suburban peg lowering brackets on my LT and have been ridin' - about a hundred miles or so around home. I dragged my toes today, not sure about these! I keep putting my feet on the brackets and have to remember to put them down on the pegs. I'm not real comfortable with the boots on the pavement...what do you guys think? My legs do feel like they are where they should be. Did you adjust to them eventually?
They were on my bike when I bought it. I made it half way back to Seattle from San Jose when I stopped to remove them. As others have said, if your ride hard in the twisties, you will never get used to them.

-Scurrie

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:54 am Thread Starter
Mister Moto

Eventually, won't even the less aggressive riders find themselves in a situation where an extreme maneuver grounds the peg? So I guess the real question is...how much risk is increased when these brackets make contact?

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

post #14 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:05 am

I think scraping the pegs is more scary than dangerous...just my opinion though. I'm not speaking to toe scraping though...I never experienced that with my lowered pegs when I had them. I haven't heard of anyone dumping their bike because of the pegs scraping. I don't like 'em. For me they don't offer enough difference in foot placement to warrant the scraping. I took mine off and put on the Mick O' Pegs which gives me plenty of "stretch room." With 30" inseam I'm OK with the pegs in standard position for scooting around town.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I haven't heard of anyone dumping their bike because of the pegs scraping.
I'll admit to having done this years ago, on a cruiser. I was coming into an unfamiliar turn and didn't realize how sharp it became on the backside. I leaned harder to stay on the road (didn't want to brake and cause a skid) and dragged the floorboard hard on the left side. Things would have been okay except that the city choose to install one of those raised manhole covers right there. The floorboard hit the cover, the rear tire lifted, and I low-sided real quick. I can still see the image of me sliding on my back looking past my boots watching the bike going down the road in front of me into the curb. The motor was still running but the impact with the curb shoved the clutch pinion into the case, totaling the bike.

This crash was my fault for not paying enough attention, the rate of turn of the curve was there to see and I should have slowed more before entering it. The point is, after I believed I needed to lean harder I was on the wrong machine to do it. I like having the option of leaning, it's a part of riding as far as I'm concerned. But if you're going to ride a bike that has limitations on lean angle don't push it, you could end up hurt.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
I'll admit to having done this years ago, on a cruiser. I was coming into an unfamiliar turn and didn't realize how sharp it became on the backside. I leaned harder to stay on the road (didn't want to brake and cause a skid) and dragged the floorboard hard on the left side. Things would have been okay except that the city choose to install one of those raised manhole covers right there. The floorboard hit the cover, the rear tire lifted, and I low-sided real quick. I can still see the image of me sliding on my back looking past my boots watching the bike going down the road in front of me into the curb. The motor was still running but the impact with the curb shoved the clutch pinion into the case, totaling the bike.

This crash was my fault for not paying enough attention, the rate of turn of the curve was there to see and I should have slowed more before entering it. The point is, after I believed I needed to lean harder I was on the wrong machine to do it. I like having the option of leaning, it's a part of riding as far as I'm concerned. But if you're going to ride a bike that has limitations on lean angle don't push it, you could end up hurt.
Whew! Glad you're OK. While I was referring to the lowered pegs on the LT, I can see how this could happen with the LT lowered pegs.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #17 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 9:28 am

I bought the lowered running boards. The install took about 5 minutes. I do scrape them on occasion, I'm not comfortable with them scraping.
I'm heading back to ID again this summer. I will keep the lowered boards on across Missouri, Kansas and Eastern CO, for comfort, but when I get to the mountains, I'm switching back to the original pegs. It's a small hassle to switch them.
There is no question if you are tall, the lower foot position is more comfortable. It's just that the LT is a blast in the twisties, I want the piece of mind without the lowered boards.
Jeff

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

Last edited by justlookin; Mar 25th, 2008 at 9:33 am.
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:41 am

Smile Re: Toe Draggin' not so bad, but...

I put a set on on my bike and got used to riding on my toes. The expensive part was when I let the bike fall over and the right peg didn't fold up correctly. Iit snapped off the male portion of the peg. I was in the mountains of NC and ended up going to a dirt bike shop and salvaging a peg off of a wrecked dirt bike and modifying it to fit so I could ride back to Miami. The replacement peg was over $100 and I was lucky not to have cracked the mounting bracket on the bike. That ended my peg lowering experience!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in