Does Old Brake Fluid Smell? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Does Old Brake Fluid Smell?

Can you smell the age of brake fluid or determine the condition of the brake fluid by looking? I believe the fluid was replaced one year ago; I found a receipt on the new "used" bike that stated as such, but the shop is out of business so I can't verify it. The fluid looks and smells good currently, but I'm not expecting it too smell like heated fluid does over time either. Anyway, I know that I could change the fluid to be sure, but I was curious. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
Can you smell the age of brake fluid or determine the condition of the brake fluid by looking?
I've never smelled brake fluid; I look for color change. DOT 3/4 turns from clear to a darker tint as it absorbs water.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 7:17 am

Brake fluid

Jerrod,

New brake fluid is clear. It will change color over time as it picks up moisture and microscopic parts of debris. If the receipt said one year ago, then you should be good for another year.

YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 9:10 am

Color?! Smell? WHAT?!?! I go by taste alone. When it starts tasting like Budweiser, you know it's time to change it!
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Color?! Smell? WHAT?!?! I go by taste alone. When it starts tasting like Budweiser, you know it's time to change it!
Joe, don't the bubbles from the fermentation cause the lever to be a bit soft?? Or is that how you know the next batch has "peaked"?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Joe, don't the bubbles from the fermentation cause the lever to be a bit soft?? Or is that how you know the next batch has "peaked"?
Don't encourage him Mark... ;-)

Next he and Griff will post an article like "Tasting your way to good maintenance"...
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:51 pm

In order to get the full flavor of vintage white brake fluid, open the bottle, let it breathe for a while, serve chilled.

When it turns dark, almost red, it must be served at room temperature, and consumed before it ages more.

One can check the progress of brake fluid by comparing it’s color to the clutch fluid.

Surprisingly, brake fluid seems to age rather fast here. Could be because we can ride all year and have higher average temps.

Bob
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Prodigal Son

Smile Short answer--yes---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
Can you smell the age of brake fluid or determine the condition of the brake fluid by looking? I believe the fluid was replaced one year ago; I found a receipt on the new "used" bike that stated as such, but the shop is out of business so I can't verify it. The fluid looks and smells good currently, but I'm not expecting it too smell like heated fluid does over time either. Anyway, I know that I could change the fluid to be sure, but I was curious. Thanks
---especially if you are really hard on the brakes and you"cook"it, that is you can tell it's time to go, not necessarily its vintage,
BTW, it will also look bad.
I change mine in the bikes frequently.(usually 2X a year)(sbeedBleeder are GReaaaaT.)
In my old racer days ---every race weekend the old stuff went bye-bye.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in