Cruise Control - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Cruise Control

Just purchased a used 2001 LT with 41,000 km.
Unfortunately it did not come with an owners manual.

What a great machine - Love it already -much sweeter than my previous VStar 1100.

On my first ride I tried to function the cruise control and it doesnt appear to work. Again I do not have a manual so cant really tell if I am doing it correctly.

My attempts involved snapping the button to the right - and trying to push the internal button to accell and resume several times with no avail.

It looks simple but am I missing something.

By the way I have a manual coming on ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 6:37 pm

Re: Cruise Control

Pierra;

does the cruiise light come on? There are alot of little switches that turn the system off. Clutch lever, front and rear brake levers, and throttle cable settings. Any other situations happening?
All the people on this great site we will help you find the trouble.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

The cruise light does come on - went through the diagnostics - that incidently I found on the forum.

Still playing with it and trying to figure out. Will eventually get it with the help the forum.

Thanks a bunch and will let you know how I make out.

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:39 am

Congratulations on your purchase. If you don't have any luck with the cruise on your own there is a very good independant shop in Calgary that is specifically BMW. It's in the phone book under Anderwerks and the owners name is Dave.
post #5 of 20 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Roy, Thanks for the referal
I did see that shop on one of my searchs for BMW motorcycle repair in the city.
So far I havent been too impressed with the BMW cycle dealer in Calgary.

I will certainly give this little shop a try.
post #6 of 20 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreg

What a great machine - Love it already -much sweeter than my previous VStar 1100.

On my first ride I tried to function the cruise control and it doesnt appear to work. Again I do not have a manual so cant really tell if I am doing it correctly.

My attempts involved snapping the button to the right - and trying to push the internal button to accell and resume several times with no avail.

The answer is in the throttle cables. Very common issue with these year machines. Is your throttle "heavy" or slightly stiff? When the cables wear they become too stiff for the CC solenoid to overcome. The fix is an upgrade to the new style cables which requires replacing the lower bar cover also. The upgreade (about $500) is well worth it. the throttle is butter smooth and congrats on the new to you bike.
post #7 of 20 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:59 pm

So far I havent been too impressed with the BMW cycle dealer in Calgary
You couldn't possibly mean the Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/et al/ that sells lawn mowers/generators and anything moto-cross could you .
post #8 of 20 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:35 am

The most common problem I had with mine is the cut off switch would get dirty down on the rear brake lever. You will see a screw and a small metal plate. Clean the small thin plate top and bottom and see if this helps.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:39 am

My 03 LTE is very sensitive to throttle cable adjustment. When I have trouble with the cruise control it has always been the cable adjustment. The cables are a problem. In general, a poor design. BMW tells you not to lubricate them. Apparently they are teflon lined and the lubrication messes up (technical term) the liner. I got stuck in Key West with a sticking cable. I pumped a graphite based cable lube into them to get me back to my brother house in Mont Dora, Florida and it the throttle was working better than it had since new. I'll likely replace them before riding season but to date they are working fine.

Jerry Salisbury
IBA # 30413
02 K1200LTE
71 Guzzi side hack
Ironhead Sportster (for those masochistic moments)
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Quote:

How cold was it? When it's cold, and the cable is not adjusted PERFECTLY, the tab on the lower end of the throttle cable won't back off of the cruise control kill switch mounted near the throttle body. With the tab engaging this switch your cruise control will not work. Adjusting some slack into the throttle grip may help but the fine tuning is in the cruise adjuster half-way down the cable under the tupperware and a bit of adjustment is available on the kill switch itself.

Sounds complicated, but there's a simple test for this problem... If the cruise control starts working above 70F this is what is causing it. Word.
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Welcom to the show, You may want to check the fuse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Temperature could certainly be a factor - it hasnt been over 50 F on my rides. And the cruise does work for a short time out of the garage but then fails after several minutes in the cold. The unfortunate thing is I may have to wait a couple of months for it to get to 70F. I will certainly be looking for those symptoms. Thanks for the replies.
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 9:53 am

Good news, sounds like it's nothing serious. It just needs adjustment.

Your description of the symptoms (quits working when it gets cold) nails it. Time to adjust the spring tensioner in the boot midways on the throttle cable. While in there you can loosen the two torx screws that hold the kill switch down and push the switch in about 1/8". In fact, you may try that first because it's simpler.

To check the adjustment before you put the plastic back on do this... Rotate the throttle grip forward and you should hear a tiny click from the cruise kill switch down there beneath the throttle body air intake. This test indicates that in throttle-neutral position the cable tab is not touching the kill switch. Rolling the throttle grip the wrong way moves the tab against the switch button and "click". It is designed this way to allow rider to disengage cruise control instantly with a slight twist of the throttle. Good luck!
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 2:00 pm

The cold leaves me to bet my money on the clutch microswitch.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 20 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

clutch microswitch - a couple of questions

Where is it located and how do I check its workings?
post #16 of 20 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Wink Re: Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ed
How cold was it? When it's cold, and the cable is not adjusted PERFECTLY, the tab on the lower end of the throttle cable won't back off of the cruise control kill switch mounted near the throttle body. With the tab engaging this switch your cruise control will not work. Adjusting some slack into the throttle grip may help but the fine tuning is in the cruise adjuster half-way down the cable under the tupperware and a bit of adjustment is available on the kill switch itself.

Sounds complicated, but there's a simple test for this problem... If the cruise control starts working above 70F this is what is causing it. Word.
Big Ed is 'Right On'. Most of the time curise control problems are related to that feaking little micro-switch on the fuel rail. I permently fixed mine by removing all the tupperware and lashing a zip-tie around the micro-switch so it doesn't move around in it's mount. IT's worked this way for about two years for me now, from freezing terperatures to over 100 degrees. There are lots of other micro-switches (clutch, breaks, etc.) but that fuel rail switch is usually the culprit.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #17 of 20 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Quote:
clutch microswitch - a couple of questions

Where is it located and how do I check its workings?
It's at the clutch hinge and one of the easier fixes. You have to remove a screw, or two, to get to it and you'll need some light, and in my case, some cheaters to see up in there. You simply loosen a hold down screw, lever the switch back in place and tighten.

Click on #61m vehicle electrical system- click the switch/sensors, the micro switch is #2 http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=47964

#32 Steering- single parts, handle bar, clutch shows you how it comes apart. Basically, #3, lower handle bar cover comes off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 20 Old Mar 28th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Grifscoots, I knew you would come to the rescue!

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #19 of 20 Old May 10th, 2008, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Now that it is warmer in Alberta -the cruise control problem has for most part disappeared. When it did reoccur it was esy to tell that it was the clutch microswitch problem.

So took it apart and fixed it by cleaning and reinstalling.

Thanks a bunch for the help
post #20 of 20 Old May 10th, 2008, 1:27 pm

This place rocks, eh?

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in