the need to ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

the need to ride

Daytime temperatures are sneaking up to thawing and all the roads are bare but my driveway has 4 " of packed snow and ice on it so I can't get out to the road to ride. Today I went out and shoveled some gravel from the side of the road and laid it in a 2 foot wide strip for 200 feet up to the garage. I'm hoping the sun will help it melt through to the driveway, if not maybe I can sneak out on the path of gravel for traction.

Ya, I think I'm loosing it with anticipation...

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 5:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: the need to ride

I hear ya brother. I just finished my winter projects on her and took her for a test spin yesterday. Today? Three inches of white stuff.
It's already melting!!!!!!

Here's to a good spring ride,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 5:52 pm

Just don't try it too hard. I've got a long lane and we still have it covered in snow. Even though it gets up to 38 right now, I'm not going to chance it. Just think of all the warm days in the summer you don't ride, when you could. There is also a lot of sand on our roads, I think they ran out of salt.

And they are also calling for another 1 to 3 inches of powder tonight

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 6:42 pm

I feels yer pain:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot099.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	17156  

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 7:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, it's great riding weather in a lot of places around the world. Thanks for the update. Sheesh.
Maybe these posts are better left to location specific parts of this site. Allows those with a good sense of what's real to reply.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 7:50 pm

Thumbs up Re: the need to ride

Hey, I too have a long driveway and it was covered with ice a few weeks ago. I felt I needed a ride as the blacktop roads were fine. Soooooooooooooo, I backed my motorcycle trailer up to the garage door, loaded the bike, towed the trailer 400 feet to the blacktop at the end of my driveway and unloaded the bike. Rode 200 miles and when I came home, did the reverse procedure. LOL........Boy, it was sure worth it.

Good weather here now so been out everyday for a week or so.

It's sure been a terrible biking winter this year. I guess I got a little spoiled the last 2 winters.

It'll be HOT before we know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
Hey, I too have a long driveway and it was covered with ice a few weeks ago. I felt I needed a ride as the blacktop roads were fine. Soooooooooooooo, I backed my motorcycle trailer up to the garage door, loaded the bike, towed the trailer 400 feet to the blacktop at the end of my driveway and unloaded the bike. Rode 200 miles and when I came home, did the reverse procedure. LOL........Boy, it was sure worth it.

Good weather here now so been out everyday for a week or so.

It's sure been a terrible biking winter this year. I guess I got a little spoiled the last 2 winters.

It'll be HOT before we know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a long lane and we still have it covered in snow. Even though it gets up to 38 right now, I'm not going to chance it. Just think of all the warm days in the summer you don't ride, when you could. There is also a lot of sand on our roads, I think they ran out of salt.

And they are also calling for another 1 to 3 inches of powder tonight

I hear ya brother. I just finished my winter projects on her and took her for a test spin yesterday. Today? Three inches of white stuff.

Daytime temperatures are sneaking up to thawing and all the roads are bare but my driveway has 4 " of packed snow and ice on it so I can't get out to the road to ride. Today I went out and shoveled some gravel from the side of the road and laid it in a 2 foot wide strip for 200 feet up to the garage.
And they say there's global warming ! what idiots they are....

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:42 pm

Yeah it 's terrible here too. There's a very bright light up in the sky and a whole lot of really gritty stuff down at the beach, which makes it kinda hard to walk down there. Also, the traffic is jammed up with people coming here to see these natural disasters. So, it's better to just stay away.
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
I've been thinking of doing this very thing, although not for my driveway, but for my road. I live a mile down a back road that still has patches of ice the full width of the road. The parts that aren't ice are mud. However next week it is supposed to be in the 40's, so hopefully next weekend I can finally ride. It better happen soon, less than two weeks for me to get my March ride in!! Oh well, I guess I can spend this weekend getting the bike ready.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #10 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycoa
Yeah it 's terrible here too. There's a very bright light up in the sky and a whole lot of really gritty stuff down at the beach, which makes it kinda hard to walk down there. Also, the traffic is jammed up with people coming here to see these natural disasters. So, it's better to just stay away.
Yep, lived in CA for 4 years. Couldn't get me to come back for anything. Thanks for the tip. All you said rings true to my experience and I'm sure it's not gotten better in the last 25 years.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:18 pm

I have lived in the heat before, spent two years in Austin and two years in the Scramento Valley. As bad as our winters are up here, I would rather deal with our winters than those summers. This winter has just been unusually bad.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #12 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:09 am Thread Starter

the trailer... now thats creative and just a little desperate.

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:23 am

I'm too depressed to comment.

Oh wait...

Today
-2C
-16C

Sun
-7C
-14C

Mon
-5C
-18C

Tue
-2C
-9C

(For our Yank pals and Arizona enemies: to convert from Celscius, use this formula. Think of a number. Add 72, take away 143, and divide by your birthday. Take away twelve. Add a minus sign in front of the resulting number. Cry for five minutes, which helps blur the number.)
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:48 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Regular PMS Party Going on Here

Only solution I've found for PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) is to trailer your own bike to somewhere warm, park the trailer and RIDE. An effective alternative treatment is to board a plane to a warm place, then rent a cycle and RIDE. Only trouble with the alternative is you will likely end up renting a Harley if in Florida .... they think that's all there is (which is sad!)
Looked at pics yesterday taken on an April 24/07 ride ..... can't imagine we'll even be rid of all this friggin' white stuff by then this year.
Gotta go snowblow the driveway AGAIN ...... later guys .........
Keir
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister

(For our Yank pals and Arizona enemies: to convert from Celscius, use this formula. Think of a number. Add 72, take away 143, and divide by your birthday. Take away twelve. Add a minus sign in front of the resulting number. Cry for five minutes, which helps blur the number.)
Oh but its much easier to figure 0C = (32F) freezing - which is cold. Anything below 0C is much too cold.

Thanks anyway...

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

Last edited by Beemerider; Mar 22nd, 2008 at 4:17 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in