2003 LT 12k service? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:58 am Thread Starter

2003 LT 12k service?

Turns out that the LT i bought with 14203 miles on it, does not have the 12K service

I guess that is exspencive?

But looking thru the dealers repair manual I figure I can do most but the valves...so question is. Is there usualy large valve problems on a 12K service?

I there anything I should be aware of during rest of service?

About the electronics...the battery that was on it was DOA with only 1/4 of fluids in it! So I went out and bought a new one, an MSF maintenance free with 18 amps. And disconnecting the battery cleans out any foult memory in the electrionics I assume?

Can I also put fully synthetic oil in the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:23 am

Re: 2003 LT 12k service?

For some reason, this message wuz considered too short!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
Turns out that the LT i bought with 14203 miles on it, does not have the 12K service

I guess that is exspencive?

But looking thru the dealers repair manual I figure I can do most but the valves...so question is. Is there usualy large valve problems on a 12K service?

The only reason I would do a valve check is to establish a baseline for future checks. Not to say it hasn't happened, butt I haven't heard of any K-engine needing a valve 'adjustment' at that low mileage. Matter of fact, ole Toad hasn't needed at 'adjustment' and we're running 120K on the clock.

I there anything I should be aware of during rest of service?

Take a leetle time out to scan through this set of maintenance items. I found this under the 'Technical' tab, and tapping into the HoW pages. Gives good info on plastic panel removal, plus all the fluid changes, with tips and easy shortcuts.

About the electronics...the battery that was on it was DOA with only 1/4 of fluids in it! So I went out and bought a new one, an MSF maintenance free with 18 amps. And disconnecting the battery cleans out any foult memory in the electrionics I assume?

Probably does clear out minor fault readings - butt I suspect, the major ones remain for the next visit to a dealer's MoDiTec hookup. Not positive on that tho. One thang you should do after swapping batteries is to reset the TPS (throttle position sensor). Brief method for doing that is: turn on key (don't start engine); turn the throttel to wide open and let it return to closed; turn in once again to wide open and let it return to closed; turn off the key; turn on the key and start the engine and let it run for a bit. This smoothes out the operation and allows the Motronic to return to the default settings for throttle position.

Can I also put fully synthetic oil in the engine?.

I would. Or if you wanna, you can wait 'til the 18K service. I changed ole Toad at the 12K - some have waited longer; some of changed sooner; and some haven't changed at all. Volumes of info/suggestions on that aspect of maintenance - just do what you feel best

Good luck in getting up close and personal with your new ride. It's one of the many features that I find attractive about ownership of an LT. Honest!!!.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick

For a full and sound set of advices, you soothed my mind on this

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 11:30 am
KIC

Here's a copy of the 12K list. Hope this helps. My 12K with a few other minor repairs cost over $1,000.00. Wish I had this list back then.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12 K service checklist.pdf (36.6 KB, 61 views)

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 1:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

All helps

Questions are about the O-rings with the oilplugs, do I get to buy set with them aswell ?
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 9:49 pm

Dick,
Thanks you are a wealth of helpful knowledge..........
Timmy
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy
Dick,
Thanks you are a wealth of helpful knowledge..........
Timmy
Hey, Timmy - thanks --- butt it aren't me; it's this bunch of forums populated by folks with all kinds of helpful knowledge. I git a few right sometimes; a few wrong sometimes; and the rest I find scattered throughout the pages and pages that we've accumulated over the last 8 or 9 years. I realize some folks don't have the free time to spend to go on a search and find mission among all the archived stuff. Didn't used to be difficult at all to find sumpthin' with a quick search using a coupla keywords. Nowadays, we've built up such a massive library of information, it is kinda daunting to begin the trip down the aisles. I have found that the more I use the search feature, the easier it is to navigate among the different categories.

Butt, again, some folks just don't have the time that I do, and it's easier to ask a question and git a quick reply and go on with their other bidness.

Butt then, heck, that wuz me askin' all those questions back in '99 when ole Toad wuz born and came to live with me. I just figger it's now 'pass it forward' time, so I try to do that.

Best Regards.
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 4:01 pm

Dick or fellow riders any idea how I can "fix" my rear left speaker? No sound???? I just purchased my 03 last year put 10k on it and what a bike... Moved over from harley and there is truly a world of difference...... This site is just one more example of the great folks that ride difference.....
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 4:55 pm

Hi, Tim.. might want to start another thread.. if you haven't...

There is a plug in the center of the bike, under the rear seat. Try reseating the plug..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in