Newbie BMW K1200LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Newbie BMW K1200LT owner

I just placed a factory order for a 2006 K1200LT that should arrive in April. (Xenon headlight, anti theft, central lock, ground lighting, nav prep) I hadn't ridden for approx 20 years and after my son got into motorcycle racing as well as wanting to tour, I caught the bug again!!! My last bike was '72 Honda CB500-4 that I drove for about 10 years. ( You can probably now guess I'm in the "retread" age group!!!) I had always thought I would like a GW and test drove it as well as a RT and then finally a LT. Of all of these, I felt the most comfortable on the LT but was concerned about reliability (rear drives, tires etc). So I spent a lot of time on this web site and want to pass on to everyone that this is a very useful and well run web site. It really helped me in my purchase decision. Because I still have some residual concerns about quality - I purchased an additional 4 year extended warranty. The neat thing about this particular warranty package is that if you dont make a claim in the 4 years, your premium is refunded!!! ( As long as the company is still in business) Hopefully when I get the bike, I can contribute something back to this site.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Thumbs up

Congrats on the purchase! Post some pics when your new baby's at home. Oh and...welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 34 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:00 pm

Which extended warranty plan did you go with?

post #4 of 34 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:14 pm

Before you get her home..

Take some kind of rider training... and buy a smaller bike (or borrow one from your son)... and practice your handling skills... You will get lots of exercises to try rom the Beginners course.

Welcome aboard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 2:09 am

Congrats, you're gonna love the LT! Oh and about the reliability worries...

Just ride it!

And about that RealWing moniker...

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #6 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 7:55 am

Cool Welcome to the Asylum

Congradulations on your choice of a great ride to come back riding. You've chose the right asylum by joining this group.

You're going to hear from many here that you need to put the LT up and buy some cheap smaller lighter bike to relearn all your skills before setting out on the LT. I will disagree. I did the same thing you did after a 25 hiatius from riding. Things that I will agree with taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation type course if Canada has them, spending lots of time in parking lot practicing slow turns and stops (you stops need to be both slow speed and panic, always keep you head and eyes straight to the front when stopping and don't ride over your head to soon. Read here.

The LT is a big heavy old girl. Slow speed is where she'll bite your back side. If you feel her going over where you can't really hold her up, let her go as you don't need the injuries you could get from trying to hold her up. Learn how to pick her up correctly go here. BTW, did I mention you need to spend some time in a parking lot doing slow speed turns and both slow and at speed panic stops??

Again, Congradulations on your new ride and welcome to the group.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:36 pm

Ooooh man!
I hated winter.
Around Feb I was sick of it. Last frost was end of May in Western MA.
Knowing I would have a new bike in April would make the wait worse.

Bob
post #8 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Smile Hey or should I say Eh!

As a fellow Canadian and S. Ontario resident welcome, just curious as to where you bought your bike and who your extended warranty is with, I'd be interested in a warranty like that. Also we're trying to get a group ride together for S. ontario in the spring like to see you there.
post #9 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 4:35 pm

Smile

Nice job!!! You'll love it, quite the machine. Be safe and enjoy!
post #10 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 5:36 pm

Thumbs up Superbird!!

A '70 Superbird!!!......Yeeeeehaaaaa
You might have had to talk some more about that!
post #11 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker
A '70 Superbird!!!......Yeeeeehaaaaa
You might have had to talk some more about that!
There's one on ebay staring at over $112,000 right now.

original price....

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #12 of 34 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcoming messages. Some more details for those who asked some questions:
1. I carefully read (and then re-read) all the posts about the bike being top heavy and falling over. When I took it for a test drive, I was somewhat concerned (since you sign your life away on test rides!!), however I drove out of the parking lot and made several stops on the 1 hr test drive and it was like I had never stopped riding!! Having said that - I'll heed the good suggestions about lots of practice in a parking lot.
2. As suggested, I do plan on taking a certified "tune-up" riding course first thing in the spring.
3. I purchased the bike at Open Road BMW in Newmarket ON. Paul Nixon is the contact and was very knowledgeable and helpful. The extended warranty offered by Open Road is with Integrated Warranty Systems Inc in London ON. They have a web site. Seem to be a well established company.
4. About my Superbird!!! For those who don't know Superbirds, they were specially built to compete on the NASCAR circuit and beat the Fords and Chevy's. They have a steel aerodynamic nose cone and a large rear wing that is an inverted airfoil design - to add downforce as speed increases. Combined with a 426 Racing Hemi, they were pretty well unbeatable. The rear wing on the Superbird is the source of my handle "RealWing" - nothing to do with GW's!!! It is presently undergoing a ground-up restoration back to original factory specs. The body is presently finished and all the 1000's of bits and pieces are being restored and then assembled. It is a "labour of love" and I've been at it for several years! I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do that if anyone's interested.

2015 K1600GTL
post #13 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:44 am

Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Learn how to pick her up correctly go here.
Link doesn't work for me even after some fiddling. Do you know if it is still there?

Thanks,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #14 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:59 am

Eventually, you'll change you name to TipOverWing.
;-O
Bob
post #15 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 1:28 am

Same Boat(different lake)

I purchased a 2003 K1200LT in Sept. of this year. It was the first bike I had owned in 20 years. I agree with the getting some practice in before taking her out. My last bike was a Honda CB350 and I logged some major mileage on it. I will say that the BMW is very well balanced and is somewhat forgiving, except at low speeds. I have already dropped her once and it is a beast to get back up. Do read the links on picking her up. Wish I had seen this site before hand. All in all I still am very happy with my choice and enjoy riding her. My girlfriend really loves the backrest and the smoothness of the bike. Well good luck and hopefully I see you out there. Take care.

Charlie
post #16 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:12 am

Red face Oooooooops!!

Dan,

Sorry about that. Hopefully this link will get you there. This is our own Munson demonstrating the correct procedure.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #17 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:18 am

Wink Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Eventually, you'll change you name to TipOverWing.
;-O
Bob
Now Bob, That's just plain mean to a newbie.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 3:42 pm

Thumbs up Extended warranty

I checked into this with Integrated warranty systems and the price is $1400 Canadian and for an additional $150 it returns your $1400 if you don't use it. Thats for 4 years extension, no mileage limit, bike must still be under original warranty or they offer a 1 year warranty on bikes up to five years old. Their contact # is 519-672-8244 and they cover US and Canadian consumers. I'll wait till my warranty's almost up then decide whether the all new 08' LT is worth trading up to.

Last edited by GeorgeS; Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:49 pm.
post #19 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 5:20 pm

Not in US.

I haven't heard of a "returned" fee from any US X-10-did warranty folks.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 34 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:29 pm

Welcome to the club, rest assured you won't be disappoint in the LT. I was in the same position as yourself a year ago. The last street bike I rode was a '72, 350 Honda CB, that was 30 years ago. Last fall I purchased an 03 LT, took a weekend training course to refresh my M license, stored the bike for the winter and last May headed down east to PEI and Cape Breton, passing through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I put on perhaps 500K before hitting the road with my wife. On the second day out we logged 9 hours of riding with no complaints. Initially, I was extremely apprehensive about the slow speed handling, however with each passing day, the handling became more smooth, and my confidence grew, until now 8000 Km later, I hardly notice the weight.

As said elsewhere in this forum, take it easy for the first little while, ride the bike as often as you can and within no time you'll appreciate what the big LT is all about.

Have a good one, and keep you stick on the ice, EH!
post #21 of 34 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 8:32 am

I would have to totally agree with Steve R. I too had a long hiatus from bike riding. But, I decided to take the MSF course and it was fantastic. I learned so much even though I had riden before many years ago. I started off slow in parking lots then on to the street. I now have put on about 250 miles feel very comfortable on the bike. I haven't had my wife up on it yet. I decided earlier on to set benchmarks for riding experience and plan out a strategy. The benchmark for her to get on the bike is 500 miles, then it will be back to the parking lot initially slow and easy. But plan out your riding experience step by step. As for your having to wait until April to ride. I too remember those days as an ex-canadian. I moved to California and now can ride 12 months a year.....lol.
post #22 of 34 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Angry BBlack1045

As for your having to wait until April to ride. I too remember those days as an ex-canadian. I moved to California and now can ride 12 months a year.....lol

Hey - that's not fair!!! Stop rubbing it in!!! Especially when I look outside and see tons of snow falling!!
Having said that - I've been to California ( southern) a few times and loved it down there - so I know what you mean.

2015 K1600GTL
post #23 of 34 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 4:59 pm

What color???

Sounds like there are quite a few of us that are starting to ride again after 20 years (yes, me too! ) While the bike has some weight, it handles like a dream and as you noted is VERY well balanced so even when stopped it takes a significant lean to the 'point of no return'.

My wife has a business partner up in your neck of the woods ... could be up some time in the summer!?!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #24 of 34 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Color???

LT-Ocean Blue Metallic
Or if you meant the Superbird- Limelight (bright - I mean bright lime green)!

2015 K1600GTL
post #25 of 34 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 7:07 pm

Thumbs up Congratulations on your choice - 2006 K1200LT

I have a 2005 K12LT. 26,500 km this season, no problems at all. First set of tires at 22,500km or 13,950 miles for our U.S. friends. You will appreciate the bike more every time you get on it. Read a survey last year in a British Mag.(MCN I think??). Surveyed 10,000 motorcycle owners re satisfaction and reliability by brand. BMW came in first, slightly better than Honda... a close second, a surprise to me.
They are a great bike; maybe meet for a ride this summer?

This is a great site, a wealth of information here, from many with a great deal of experience. I joined here before I ordered my bike.
Have fun. The wait will be hard ... for the snow to go.
Mike - Huntsville Ontario.
post #26 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 7:14 pm

Hey, I was not far from you. I lived in Waterloo until taking a job transfer to California. I use to call on the Ontario Hydro nuclear power plant. I understand it was privatized. But, anyway back to bikes have a great time riding it. I just got back from a ride. Love it.
post #27 of 34 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 8:45 pm

Don't want to get too off topic here, but I am also a "BBlack" who used to live in Waterloo many decades ago and have since moved south to warmer climes in North Carolina. I remember riding my little Honda 55 on the snow covered streets in Waterloo. Of course, it was a whole lot easier to lift when the inevitable happened.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #28 of 34 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

BBlack1045

Small world!!! I used to work at the Bruce Nuclear Plant and retired in 1999. It has been leased from Ontario Power Generation by a private company - Bruce Power. They just got Gov't approval to refurbish and restart 2 mothballed units at Bruce A.

2015 K1600GTL
post #29 of 34 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 9:10 pm

Can't over state the importance of the moto safety institue classes. The slow speed maneuvers they teach are well worth it. When I took the course I had been riding for 20 years and thought it would be a waste of time. Not hardly. Take the class and then Ride It!
post #30 of 34 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:04 am

Another Newbie-But I'm Already Riding

I've been riding motorcycles for about 35 years now and i clearly remember when the K bikes arrived--i was riding each summer from 85-87 from Michigan to Wyoming, into Cali and down into Arizona and New Mexico, then back up through Colorado with a buddy on a pair of 650 Nighthawks.
The last summer we did this, he bought the k75 inline 3 and i was so envious i could barely stand to ride next to him.
in 98, when the LT made her debut, i drooled for months and the bike immediately became my dream machine. Unfortunately, my financial situation was such that buying much beyond a Schwinn was outta the question.
Life has improved considerably for me over the past decade but this is the first BMW I've ever owned and I've had my LT for about 72 hours as I write this.
Unfortunately, i've only been able to ride her about 4 of those hours (weather's wet/slick and been colder than a warlock's wang in a brass jockstrap).
I got a helluva deal from Bloodworth BMW here in Nashville (Glenn Watkins was about the best salesman i've ever had the pleasure of dealing with) and rolled outta the showroom with their last 05.
She's loaded, too--the only things i don't have are the nav system, the soft-touch seat and the adjustable passenger footpegs.
the one other bummer was that i couldn't choose the color, but the gold scheme is just about as classy as i can get it, so i'm not too disappointed, although if i would have had muh druthers, i'druther of had a darker blue or charcoal color for my bike.
believe me tho, i am by no means unhappy with the color, and the bike as a package has surpassed my wildest fantasies!
Now i'm just impatiently awaiting nicer weather to ride in, and i'll be in for the 6K service before most folks break their bikes outta their garages for the summer!
you'll think you died and went to Beemer heaven come April--congrats and i hope to pass you on the road one day!

post #31 of 34 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 9:29 am

Welcome to the forum. Everybody that is on this forum is crazy (except me) and their wisdom should taken lightly!

Enjoy the ride and if you haven't registered for CCR in Georgia this year, ya' gotta' do it. Then you will get to meet these crazy people.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #32 of 34 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:01 am

Another Newbie-But I'm Already Riding

Congrats! You're gonna love it here and love the bike more! BTW, I kinda like like the color you bought!

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #33 of 34 Old Jun 25th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Re: Newbie BMW K1200LT owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing
I just placed a factory order for a 2006 K1200LT that should arrive in April. (Xenon headlight, anti theft, central lock, ground lighting, nav prep) I hadn't ridden for approx 20 years and after my son got into motorcycle racing as well as wanting to tour, I caught the bug again!!! My last bike was '72 Honda CB500-4 that I drove for about 10 years. ( You can probably now guess I'm in the "retread" age group!!!) I had always thought I would like a GW and test drove it as well as a RT and then finally a LT. Of all of these, I felt the most comfortable on the LT but was concerned about reliability (rear drives, tires etc). So I spent a lot of time on this web site and want to pass on to everyone that this is a very useful and well run web site. It really helped me in my purchase decision. Because I still have some residual concerns about quality - I purchased an additional 4 year extended warranty. The neat thing about this particular warranty package is that if you dont make a claim in the 4 years, your premium is refunded!!! ( As long as the company is still in business) Hopefully when I get the bike, I can contribute something back to this site.
Welcome RealWing! Like you, I recently purchased an 09 KT. The only option I don't have is the 6-CD changer which I would have liked to have since I live in the boondocks. I do love the bike though. My dealer cautioned me about the tip over issue. But since I recently owned a Triumph Rocket 3, I was used to the feel of the KT. I found it interesting in the thread about the extended warranty. The dealer recommended such a warranty before the factory warranty runs out which will be in Dec of 13. I too will probably purchase such a warranty. Repair cost can be substantial - as with any bike. I am also searching for a warranty that provides road side assistance - it can be several miles between dealers and in the event of a breakdown it would be great to have it hauled to a dealer for repairs. I would recommend getting your bike repaired by a reputable dealer who warrants all work just to make sure there are not other gremlins out there that may surface at an inopportune time - like several hundred miles from home. Obviously the bike is not a scorcher, however, it is a touring bike not a crotch rocket. I've put about 3K on it so far without any issues. A great machine!
post #34 of 34 Old Jun 25th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Re: Newbie BMW K1200LT owner

You do realize this thread is from 05..lol. and you made the first post since 06.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in