What a dummy!! I dropped it!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 6:05 pm Thread Starter

What a dummy!! I dropped it!!

Canít believe I dropped it!!
I was two up and trying a tight u-turn on my sloped driveway and it went down!! Man was it fast, no time to react! My SWMBO understood my error and didnít give me too much of a hard time. The important thing here is... no one was hurt, thank God!! The other amazing thing was no visible damage to the bike!!! Amazing!! Thanks BMW!! I had read over and over again about being careful with tight maneuvers but had discounted these because I felt they were operator errors. This couldnít happen to me!! Duh!! Man was I wrong!!! I now have a new respect for these maneuvers and will practice more to get this down!! I really hate doing this on a new two month old bike but I guess it was inevitable, given my attitude!! So for those fortunate ones that havenít experienced thisÖ it can and will happen to you, if donít give it the respect it deserves!!
MRod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 6:13 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Re: What a dummy!! I dropped it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7mikae7
I was two up and trying a tight u-turn on my sloped driveway and it went down!! Man was it fast, no time to react! My SWMBO understood my error and didnít give me too much of a hard time. The important thing here is... no one was hurt, thank God!! The other amazing thing was no visible damage to the bike!!! Amazing!! Thanks BMW!! I had read over and over again about being careful with tight maneuvers but had discounted these because I felt they were operator errors. This couldnít happen to me!! Duh!! Man was I wrong!!! I now have a new respect for these maneuvers and will practice more to get this down!! I really hate doing this on a new two month old bike but I guess it was inevitable, given my attitude!! So for those fortunate ones that havenít experienced thisÖ it can and will happen to you, if donít give it the respect it deserves!!
MRod
Welcome to the club
Boy I feel your pain! My bike was about two weeks old and I went to put it on the side stand in the garage the second I stepped away there she went.
I was not so lucky in the damage department:
Broken windshield!
Broken windshield operator!
Bend tip over bar and cover!
Damaged top case lid!
I have never used the side stand since and I have not to date dropped it while under way, and hope I never do.
Good luck.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Don't feel bad, I wound up dropping mine three times.

The worst was after a 650 mile day and I got off, forgetting to put the side stand down, and just walked away hearing a big thud behind me !!

That was embarrasing !!

Welcome to the club

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

post #4 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Not knowing all the details, like the width of the driveway or the slope, even I would try this two up. Nobody says that you can not put your feet down and make a three point turn. I've would used the slope to my advantage, walked or reversed. Not monday morning quarterbacking but sometimes we make a big deal about making a u-turn with LT.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Glad to hear you both are OK. I use both the stands, center to get on. Side to get off. I have a backrest and it is easier for me to get on the left peg and climb over to the right when on the center stand. I tried this on the side stand and just did not fell stable enough. Still waiting for the first drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #6 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 7:50 pm

The last poll on this topic indicates 73.51 percent of us have and the rest are probably lying .

Just kidding all you non-Droppers.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #7 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for the responses...I still feel the pain, but it seems we all will at some point in our ownership. Again it's about learning to be more careful, my "lesson learned!!"
Thanks,
MRod
post #8 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Nothing like a drop to break the virginity of her. I feel your pain, shiny expensive bike goes down... EEK!!! Some maneuvers were never meant for two up with feet on the pegs. I am lucky my driveway has a flat top area, rest is sloped. No breakages is always nice though, minor ding under my right bumper happened on my one instance of drop.

Just ride it and shake it off

Tony

Tony Carpenter

BMW K1200LT 2008
post #9 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Just kidding all you non-Droppers.
I'd like to resemble that remark, but I've not dropper her yet.....Soon....I think everyone will at one time or another drop the heavy cow.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #10 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 9:11 pm
KRW

I still can't beleive that people feel the need to throw themselves under the bus.
post #11 of 27 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Not so much throw myself under the bus but hope that others can learn from my mistake...thats my hope anyway!!
post #12 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
The last poll on this topic indicates 73.51 percent of us have and the rest are probably lying
It's like landing belly up in a retractable....

There are those who have and those who will. My score so far is 2. One solo and one two up inside a ferry to France.

Just pussin' through.
post #13 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 7:56 am

Quote:
Not so much throw myself under the bus but hope that others can learn from my mistake...thats my hope anyway!!
So tell us, did you not have any forward motion when making your turn or did you bottom out on the underbelly that caused your down? I am sure you have and will have played over and over in your mind to ensure you learn the respect this lovely beast demands.

Mauro

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #14 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:22 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile I'd Like to Claim a New Record !!

You A/C types will know what " Jump & Slide " means during an evacuation.
Well how about " Drop & Slide " Our last stay over on our journey was up on the side of a mountain over looking Tuscany. Very charming, but wow, what a drive. ( as in very, very, steep. ) Arrived and Rena hopped off, walked up to the gate to take a look, and indicated NOT to proceed. Boys will be boys though and so up I go. Wrong idea !! The 90 degree turn into the drive was even steeper ( remember the gate at this point is closed, so I have to stop. ) Well, tell that to an LT with a 350 Lb Bushtec Quantum in tow. Sounds crazy, but even with the rubber side still down (at this point) backwards we go. Not good !! All I could do was drop her into the slope and get off. Back it all went until the trailer jack-knifed across the slope and things stopped. Slid about 8 feet on her right side, bent the heim joint on the trailer (again) but could have been much worse. Included photo scrape marks from the bottom of the pax floor board bracket, and the brake pedal. Side bag trim and black tip over wing I will replace soon, but the design of the LT always brings a smile. Thank you Mr BMW.
Lessons learned. Carry a spare heim joint. Always listen to the little lady !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrape.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	17138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking Past Gate.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	17139  

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #15 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:30 pm

Quote:
MRod
Yes, welcome to the club. I dropped my first LT in a gas station with my bride on the back. She hopped off easily, but I learned not to use the front brake during a tight U turn, and to lean off the bike in the opposite direction. She's top heavy, but light on her feet!

You are not far from us, so plan to come to the Munster Garage Day on April 26. See us in the South Central forum. I'll even show you the easy way to pick up your LT!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #16 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 12:53 pm

Re: I'd Like to Claim a New Record !!

Hilton - howdy to you and Rena. Hate to see you beatin' up on those 'heim' joints!! Glad you survived the 'slide' tho!! Adds a leetle adventure to the day's ride!!

Cheryl and I were in that area coupla years back and altho I don't 'think' we were on that same 'alleyway' as you guyz, it sure does look familiar. I'm piloting a rental diesel Benz and it's huffin' and puffin' about like I'd be if I wuz walkin' up!! I didn't think it wuz gonna make it up near the top; the pucker factor wuz pretty high and I just knew I couldn't turn around, so wuz hoping for an open doorway or clear patio or sumpthin'!!! It wuz really hairy, butt I finally managed to reverse down the alleyway, using heavy braking and tranny in gear ocassionally. Cheryl remembers me saying sumpthin' along the lines of "thank God, we're not on a bike". Heck, I wuzn't even thinkin' about a trailer!!

Fun to recall it now - not fun back then. Cheryl doesn't see fun in it - then OR now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
You A/C types will know what " Jump & Slide " means during an evacuation.
Well how about " Drop & Slide " Our last stay over on our journey was up on the side of a mountain over looking Tuscany. Very charming, but wow, what a drive. ( as in very, very, steep. ) Arrived and Rena hopped off, walked up to the gate to take a look, and indicated NOT to proceed. Boys will be boys though and so up I go. Wrong idea !! The 90 degree turn into the drive was even steeper ( remember the gate at this point is closed, so I have to stop. ) Well, tell that to an LT with a 350 Lb Bushtec Quantum in tow. Sounds crazy, but even with the rubber side still down (at this point) backwards we go. Not good !! All I could do was drop her into the slope and get off. Back it all went until the trailer jack-knifed across the slope and things stopped. Slid about 8 feet on her right side, bent the heim joint on the trailer (again) but could have been much worse. Included photo scrape marks from the bottom of the pax floor board bracket, and the brake pedal. Side bag trim and black tip over wing I will replace soon, but the design of the LT always brings a smile. Thank you Mr BMW.
Lessons learned. Carry a spare heim joint. Always listen to the little lady !!
post #17 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 1:21 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Thanks Dick. As they say " Live and Learn "

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #18 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

I definitely lost forward momentum, thats what did it...if I would have kept here moving I wouldn't have lost it!! As others have said..Live and Learn!!
post #19 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the invite...actually someone posted a Utube video about backing up to the seat and using your legs...surpisingly easy to do. The wife of course was amazed I picked up an 800lb bike...Just snorted and said "I can do this all day!! "Not!!
post #20 of 27 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Re: I'd Like to Claim a New Record !!

Ouch Hilton...glad no body got hurt, but I bet that was terrifying watching the ol girl slide back!! Geez...Thanks for sharing!!!
post #21 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:01 am
JDW

Re: Can't count the times.

Dropped mine on sloped parking lot when very tired from riding all day, wasn't paying attention. Road constuction in Montana in soft dirt with wife on back. Numerous other times. After talking to this forum the overwhelming advise was to practice and practice some more. Slow speed manuevers quickly became a non-issue. However I always have respect for for the bike and if I start to feel a little too confident it has a way of reminding me to pay attention. lol.
post #22 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:54 am

Garage

At slow speeds this motorcycle really, really has to be vertical, no lean at all, or it will rapidly assume a horizontal position!!!

Slopes are a challenge, and will fool ya!
post #23 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:40 pm

Welcome to the club! Dropped mine within two weeks practicing figure eights in a parking lot, so I don't feel so bad cause I was trying to learn to avoid this. Several months later, I stopped the beast in my drivway and wasn't paying attention and before I knew it she was listing to the point of no recovery! I wasn't even moving! Luckilly, the neighbors weren't looking!
post #24 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 5:01 pm

Look at the bright side... Gravity is pretty consistent...

I've had problems with dropping when new. Seems the ABS would engate/disengage then engage again in rapid order... amazing...

One day the ABS totally "quit".. replaced it.. and no more problem.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #25 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 5:52 pm

I am still calling Driver error. I haven't done it yet, and tomorrow I plan a drop!!!

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #26 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 6:57 pm

Ok. I went out and dropped mine on purpose so I'd be like my brothers here.. hehe..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #27 of 27 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Ok. I went out and dropped mine on purpose so I'd be like my brothers here.. hehe..
I have dropped my mirrors numerous times... erm does that count.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in