Shorten my centerstand? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

Question Shorten my centerstand?

I installed Wilburs shocks a year ago and they're great. The only issue is that it's virtually impossible to get it on the centerstand now unless I run it up on the small ramp I have in my garage.

I don't want to lose luggage space by carrying a portable front wheel ramp. Has anyone out there shortened their centerstand? If so, any advice on the cut and re-welding approach?

Is there a shorter centerstand from BMW? I solved the sidestand problem with a late-model part that's shorter.

Is there any issue (other than the sometimes big blue oil smoke cloud) with pretty much forgetting the centerstand and just using the sidestand?

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 6:19 pm
Super Moderator

I don't know of anyone who has shortened the centerstand. If you switch to parking on the sidestand the only issue will be the bit of smoke you will get on startup when you leave it there for a while. Annoying and will make the HD guys snicker, but otherwise harmless.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 6:20 pm

I use the side stand 99.5% of the time without (almost) any issue. The blue cloud does sometimes happen, totally at random, and more so after an oil change if I top it up (without over-filling).
Also my back is grateful and quite frankly I only use the center stand when I work on the beast.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcbrowne
Is there any issue (other than the sometimes big blue oil smoke cloud) with pretty much forgetting the centerstand and just using the sidestand?
The issue that immedaitely comes to mind is...what happens if you're on a trip and you need to remove the rear tire? That's really hard to do with the LT on it's sidestand.
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Oh, well, if I need to change the rear tire, I'll just get my wife to put it on the centerstand! (But, I guess that, if I can't plug it, Allstate RV service will get a call.)

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Quote:
I installed Wilburs shocks a year ago and they're great. The only issue is that it's virtually impossible to get it on the centerstand now ...
I've had quite the opposite experience with Ohlins shocks, Paul. My '99 LT was easy to get on the centerstand; the '02 was hard from day 1. After installing Ohlins shocks, the '02 is now easy to get on the centerstand. Ohlins must be slightly longer than OEM shocks; Wilburs must be slightly shorter.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 12th, 2005, 8:19 pm

Quote:
I installed Wilburs shocks a year ago and they're great. The only issue is that it's virtually impossible to get it on the centerstand now unless I run it up on the small ramp I have in my garage.

I don't want to lose luggage space by carrying a portable front wheel ramp. Has anyone out there shortened their centerstand? If so, any advice on the cut and re-welding approach?

Is there a shorter centerstand from BMW? I solved the sidestand problem with a late-model part that's shorter.

Paul, if you would like to get together some time, I'd be happy to check your centerstand and talk about technique -- personally, I thought the LT is one of the easier bikes I've had to get on the centerstand, and the taller aftermarket shocks made it easier. Of course, having made this offer, I'm sure I'll find I can't lift yours 1/2"

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 2:01 pm

I back the rear tire onto a 2X4. While the tire goes up, I have the center stand down, and ride her up.

Bob
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Cool

The dummy who started this thread forgot to mention that he ordered his Wilburs 1" lower due to his being vertically challenged!!

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 8:22 pm

I generally use the side stand

I havent found a good reason to not use the side stand most of the time. As long as you roll it forward, leave in first gear, no problem. I stop by putting the side stand down to kill the engine and then make sure it is against the transmission. Of course, I live in Florida where it is mostly flat, but I just got back from a 1,500 mile trip to NC and never used the center stand. Just my opinion!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 3:34 pm

Shortened sidestand

I put on Wilber shocks on my 99 LTthis spring and dropped the bike one inch. I did not have any lean on the bike after having the new shocks installed.

I ordered a sidestand for a 2003 LT(which is shorter) and had it installed, which returned the bike to about the same lean angle as it had before dropping it 1 inch.

I can get the bike on the center stand when not loaded down, but if it is loaded down for a trip I cannot get it on the sidestand, unless I roll it onto a
1x4 piece of cedar wood which I carry in the back box. It then goes up easily. Cedar is light, the wood takes up very little space, it is easy to roll the bike up on the wood, so for me it is not worth the cost of cutting the center stand.

Good luck.
post #12 of 20 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:22 pm

Big boy can't get it up!

I've had my '04 for about a week now...practically a new bik with only 4k on her.

I go 6'1" and about 280lbs. and I can not get 'er up on her center stand. I follow the technique in the manual, tried cranking up the shock adjust and just about lost her going away from me on the last attempt.

Am I missing something? Is there a full-proof technique that works?

...or should I just stick with the side stand - I carry a 1x5x5 inch piece of wood to set under the side stand if the slope requires.
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
I've had my '04 for about a week now...practically a new bik with only 4k on her.

I go 6'1" and about 280lbs. and I can not get 'er up on her center stand. I follow the technique in the manual, tried cranking up the shock adjust and just about lost her going away from me on the last attempt.

Am I missing something? Is there a full-proof technique that works?

...or should I just stick with the side stand - I carry a 1x5x5 inch piece of wood to set under the side stand if the slope requires.
I'm about the same as you. She stands up on comand for me.
In fact it was one of the tests before I bought the bike.
Some basics... Bike is not in gear. When I try real hard and it does't want to move its because I left it in first. Make sure the front wheel is straight. Turned even a little bit makes it harder. I push the center stand down with my right foot and rock the bike up until I fell both sides of the centerstand have contact, then step down hard on the center stand, lift with the right hand holding the grip under the back seat. Left hand on the left steering grip to stead the bike. Don't lift with your back. Most of the effort is stepping down some lift, very little trying to push the bike back. There is another method others swear by using the passenger hold, I'm sure someone will add those details. Hope this helps.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I'm about the same as you. She stands up on comand for me.
In fact it was one of the tests before I bought the bike.
Some basics... Bike is not in gear. When I try real hard and it does't want to move its because I left it in first. Make sure the front wheel is straight. Turned even a little bit makes it harder. I push the center stand down with my right foot and rock the bike up until I fell both sides of the centerstand have contact, then step down hard on the center stand, lift with the right hand holding the grip under the back seat. Left hand on the left steering grip to stead the bike. Don't lift with your back. Most of the effort is stepping down some lift, very little trying to push the bike back. There is another method others swear by using the passenger hold, I'm sure someone will add those details. Hope this helps.
In addition...stand close to the bike and make sure your head is turned to the right. It is amazing the difference that makes...body follows the head.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #15 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Re: Shorten my centerstand?

Quote:

Hi I have a 1999 model 94000 km and found it difficult to put on the centre stand. I removed the centre stand and ground down the four bolt points on the stand by 3/8 of an inch. This, if effect lessened the amount of grunt required to pull the bike up. Found that it made a huge difference.
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A good machine shop could shorten your center stand and make it much easier to get the beast onto it. How much can you shorten it? With the bike on the center stand on level ground measure the height of the rear tire above the pavement. Mine is 1". Since the LT has a 64" wheelbase and the center stand is 38" back from the front wheel that is 59%. So you could take off 59% of the rear tire to pavement distance at the center stand and the rear tire would then just touch the ground when it is on the stand. So for me, 6/10ths of an inch. For you 59% of however high that rear tire sets off the pavement when it's on the center stand, 50% if you want to be safe. If you want to feel what a difference it will make and plan on taking off a 1/2" put a 1" board under the rear tire and then put her on the center stand. I think you'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

post #17 of 20 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 8:16 pm

About the smoke when using the side stand. When you stop, and put the side stand down (that kills the engine) then turn the key off, then wait another 30 seconds before leaning the bike over on to the stand. It even helps more to slightly tilt the bike to the right while doing the preceding.
Works for me.
little_jake
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 9:09 am

I have a 1982 R100RT that has a Reynold's Ride-Off center stand. The center stand is short enough that the rear tire does not lose contact with the ground; the bike simply rises on the suspension when the stand is deployed (which can be done while astride the bike). To get the bike off the stand get on and crank the bike, put it in gear and drive off.

It works so well that I am really surprised that someone has not designed one for the LT. I'm sure that Reynolds would have except that they went out of business years ago.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #19 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebum
I have a 1982 R100RT that has a Reynold's Ride-Off center stand. The center stand is short enough that the rear tire does not lose contact with the ground; the bike simply rises on the suspension when the stand is deployed (which can be done while astride the bike). To get the bike off the stand get on and crank the bike, put it in gear and drive off.

It works so well that I am really surprised that someone has not designed one for the LT. I'm sure that Reynolds would have except that they went out of business years ago.
What about a picture of the Reynold's stand?

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #20 of 20 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:14 am

Here is a site that has a picture:

http://www.pbase.com/toastertan/image/39022797

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in