What to do about replacing headlight, etc... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

What to do about replacing headlight, etc...

My 05 LT is going in for its 6000 mile service. Bobs BMW is having a sale for installs/labor (25% off ) on accessories (15% off those). Just noticed my headlite is out. Should I pony up for the HID or just replace with the stock light. Anyone know how much the conversion usually costs?

Also thinking about getting a backup back rest... and some armrests for my wife but they only have Ztechs in stock for armrests. The others are some G and G ??? that are like $600 before discount... Any opinions

Also, has anyone found a cheaper solution for ipod intergration for a non-CD changer (option) 2005 LT . I've tried the FM modulators... too much interferance for the DC Balt area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Lightbulb Re: What to do about replacing headlight, etc...

Definitely go with HID for your low beam. You won't regret it. http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.p...products_id=69

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 2:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: What to do about replacing headlight, etc...

Hi Joe,

Does you dealer sell HID upgrade kits? Are they willing to install one if you bring it in yourself? As Gilles said, the CQLight HID kits are a great buy at under $100.

Where are you located? Sometimes there's a local LT rider available that would be glad to help you out. The install isn't very difficult, but if you're more comfortable having the dealer do it that's fine too.

Don't know about iPod integration other than the Dice option. Unless you have an intercom, then you can usually just plug into that and use a wireless remote. You can find more info in out iPod/MP3 forum.

As for the Bakup, it's a great product at a relatively decent price. But if you want to save a few bucks, I have a lightly used Bakup for the LT with a brand-new back pad. Send me a PM if you're interested. And don't worry, the install on that really is trivial.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Do the HID and you will still be saying "WOW" six months later.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm located in Maryland - just outside of DC. I only have 5800 miles on her and obviously haven't ridden much, since obtaining the bike and I'm the 2nd owner... :-)

I'm trying to make a commitment this year to ride more but the extras sure are $$$... I've purchased a couple of good used things off this and other boards, but still feel a little nervous about installing anything too complicated.

I'd be willing to pay and help someone install stuff to save $$ but haven't seen very many other LT people around the area.

I'm very interested in the litely used backup but will it match my 05 seats. They are stock heated on a graphite colored bike?

Also, I was told a couple of years ago that the Denison ipod adapter won't work on 05's if the bike didn't have the cd changer option.... Anyone have an alternative or different opinion?

Joe
240 353 9233
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 3:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'd suggest looking through the Central East regional forum. It's a great way to hook up with other local riders for Ride to Eats, Tech Sessions, or general information and support.

Do you have the Black or the Grey factory seats? The Bakup installation really is simple. Open the driver's seat, remove the two allen screws that hold the passenger seat, set the backrest in place, and replace the two allen screws. Maybe 5 minutes, including time to find the proper sized allen wrench.

For the iPod, there is an Auxiliary Input Cable available from BMW. This plugs into the back of the radio unit and gives you a standard 3.5 mm stereo input plug that you can connect your iPod to. You will still need a wireless remote to control the iPod volume and track selection, but this direct connection will eliminate the problems that you're finding with the FM transmitters.

The BMW part # for the Aux Input cable is #82 11 0 149 389 and it retails for $39 at the dealer. The installation is probably a bit more than you would be comfortable with, but is easily something that your dealer can do. You can find details in this thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

The seat is black.

Just got off the phone with BOBsBMW and the parts guy quoted me something crazy for their HID conversion... something like $1000!!!

I have a set of aux lites for the bike that the previous owner never put on the bike so I think ill investigate how much $$ they'll charge for that install.

The ipod cable adapter sounds pretty strait forward except the access behind the tupperware. I wonder how much labor that will cost? Although, some of the tupperware will have to come off for the 6000 mile service.

joe
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Joe,

It's not the 6k service that will cost, it's the annuals. Your bike must be 2 or more years old. So, all the fluids should be changed. I learned to do my own service after paying Bob's $1200 for 12k + annuals when I first got my bike. Going to local tech days you can learn a lot. So, if you want some help just ask and check here www.bmwbmw.org .

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #9 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 5:48 pm

If you go to the Lighting section of Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear, there are several threads there pertaining to HID lighting. If you click on the thread "HID Kits" and scroll to post number 5, you'll see a link to another thread detailing how to participate in a group buy from Fashtek. They are selling kits to us for $75, including shipping. I got mine earlier this month. It should still be going on. Install not difficult. Deciding where to install the ballast and getting it zip-tied in will be the most difficult part. Remove a little tupperware on the left side and it's much easier to reach in. Being the skeptic I am, I had to see the difference in light output for myself. It's $75.00 well spent. 4300K is the recommended output.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 7:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The Bakup I have is also black. I'll send you a PM with details.

I'm sure the HID conversion they're talking about is replacing the entire headlight assembly with an HID unit off a newer LT. That would get pricey, fast. Your best bet is to go with the CQLight.ca kit or the Fashtek kit, both mentioned earlier.

The aux lights will probably help, but the HID is pretty much a must-do for anyone who rides at night (or wants to be seen better during the day).

If you were going in for a 12K service, they'd have to pull the radio compartment off anyway so that would save some labor costs on the Aux Input cable install. But you can always just ask and see what the charge would be if they did it along with your 6K service.

I'd be glad to help you out as I've serviced a bunch of LTs, and I'm having a tech session later this month. Too bad we're on opposite coasts though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 8:51 pm

my dealer told me that the headlight on the '08 LT (I recently bought, but haven't taken delivery yet- but soon!) has better/brighter lighting- so doesn't think I need a HID upgrade. Can anyone confirm this?
thanks,
Joe

Joe Dumas (Basic Member)
-from the shores of Lake Michigan
BMW MOA# -expired

2011 Triumph Speed Triple
2008 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Sold)
2004 Triumph Bonneville
1999 Triumph Adventurer
1978 Yamaha XS650E
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Thumbs up Re: What to do about replacing headlight, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdumas54
my dealer told me that the headlight on the '08 LT (I recently bought, but haven't taken delivery yet- but soon!) has better/brighter lighting- so doesn't think I need a HID upgrade. Can anyone confirm this?
thanks,
Joe
This is only true if you low beam is HID (Xenon), otherwise refer to the friendly and expert advice from this forum...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 15 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: What to do about replacing headlight, etc...

My low beam(HID ) was out the other day and all it was was a blown fuse. #5 in the #1 fuse block. Go to the HID as everyone has said though.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojoe
The others are some G and G ??? that are like $600 before discount... Any opinions
I looked at all the available arm rests and decided the GG Technic armrests were the preferred ones. They are similar in mounting to Don's, but I preferred the quality of the GG Technic. My wife and youngest also think they are great.

I had a rivit gun which made a difference to me in the GG Technic mounting. Don's uses bolts to replace the factory rivits. Both require drilling out the rivit heads and relocating the switch for the trunk light.

I preferred that to drilling holes in my case for the Ztechnic version. I also considered Don's and GG Technic far more secure and easier to use when riding solo too.

As for the iPod, I suggest you buy an adapter to plug it in to the Aux-In input of the Voice II. You might also be able to find a wireless remote. Maybe one that also has an aux-output combo if you look hard enough. I've seen both (not the combo), and I haven't really been looking for them.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 11:02 am

Joe,

I'm a little ways north of you, but in MD non the less and would be willing to help you install your HID kit as I installed the after market one on my LT. It is so worth the money to purchase the after market kit and do it yourself.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

BTW, 2nd's on Ken's Back Up Back Rest if you decide not to purchase it.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in