Bent J Peg Bolts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Bent J Peg Bolts

Does anyone else have a problem with bending the bolts on the J Pegs?? I have gone through about three sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Bent J Peg Bolts

How are you bending them? The only sets I've bent were when I dropped the bike on them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Same here, not sure if I have long legs or what. But I have bent my bolts as well. Need to find replacements.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

I seem to bend them when I extend my legs. I don't have long legs 30" inseam. I can't see spending $40 for new bolts.. Any ideas where to find replacements..I have droped the bike but I don't think they bend then.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 9:30 pm

If they are extended when you drop the bike, then that is when you are bending them. DAMHIK.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:01 pm

I noticed mine were bent after buying the bike. I threaded a nut on the end, put the nut in a vise and tapped the bold until it was straight, an easy fix

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 4:39 pm

I busted mine on a "layover".

I bought replacements though Mcmaster Carr, but, could only get the carbon and the shoulder length was a little "long". Bottom line was it works, but, has a bit of the ole "Walt Disney" to her

I can't imagine bending the shoulder bolt without trauma. Careful of the threads, steel bolt, aluminum threads, strips easier than "Spitzer's Friend" and probably just as expensive.

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 5:01 pm

I found mine at MSC Industrial Supply. Item # 67554600

Description:

Shoulder Screws/Stripper Bolts - 18-8 Stainless Steel Type: Stripper Bolts/Shoulder Screws Shoulder Diameter: 1/2 Shoulder Length: 1-1/2 Thread Size: 3/8-16 Material: Stainless Steel - 18-

Price each - $7.3060
Shipping, Handling & Surcharge $9.23
Tax $2.86

If I hadn't reached over a little to far at that toll both I really wouldn't even need this info.

IBA # 30413

Jerry Salisbury
IBA # 30413
02 K1200LTE
71 Guzzi side hack
Ironhead Sportster (for those masochistic moments)
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:30 pm

I've seen the bolts at Lowes and Home Depot. Not very expensive.
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 9:34 am

I know what you mean about bending, the situation gets worse if you drop the J-pegs lower, ( previous post). but what you can bo is make a cap to join the ends of the 2 bolts, they then support each other and problem solved, see the attached pic, I do not know if the pics got through. basicly, drilled 2 holes in a piece of steel the the bolt heads fit into, rounded the metal off, drilled and tapped two holes in the side of the block for alan head screws to lock against the bolt. works great
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 5:37 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf70
I seem to bend them when I extend my legs. I don't have long legs 30" inseam. I can't see spending $40 for new bolts.. Any ideas where to find replacements..I have droped the bike but I don't think they bend then.
It's possible to bend them when you drop the bike even of they aren't extended for use (DAMHIK). My guess is that's when it happened. I've had JPegs on all my LTs and used them extensively both in the conventional "foot prop" mode as well as some time with my legs resting on top of the extended pegs, and never bent a bolt until a tip-over event. I know guys who have actually stood up/pulled themselves up on the JPegs while riding to stretch their legs and that didn't bend bolts, either. I even had a set basically survive a high side accident that totaled my 02 LT, only the bolt used as the stop was bent, and then only very slightly.

If you do decide to buy replacement bolts our own Raffy has an online shop where you can get them. Link is below.

http://motogear4you.com/catalog/prod...7b70bd87f647cd

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in